Sponsored

Question about Backbone security cover

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Range Rover Turbo Diesel
can you install just the top deck lid portion? I understand obviously it won’t be secure because you can fold the rear seats down, but I need to be able to slide things like my hockey sticks and skii’s toward the front. My feeling it will be a little better at least than have no cover at all...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's possible. You can add/remove the front portion anytime you want. It's about a 5 minute do/undo.

That said, you could also cut out a small portion of that front section to accomplish exactly what you're looking to achieve for a pass-through, while still keeping people out of there.

OP
OP
Yeeper

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it's possible. You can add/remove the front portion anytime you want. It's about a 5 minute do/undo.

That said, you could also cut out a small portion of that front section to accomplish exactly what you're looking to achieve for a pass-through, while still keeping people out of there.
Yeah I was thinking of that too, cutting a hole. But I also want to be able to use the Deep Sleep air mattress that fits in the back, so I don’t want to have to take the backbone all apart each time if that makes sense.

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
I swear I remember seeing a product that had an opening to allow just like what you are talking about but I cannot seem to find it now.

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
But it was a small opening so if you wanted to retain the ability to use the mattress it would not work anyway

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
can you install just the top deck lid portion? I understand obviously it won’t be secure because you can fold the rear seats down, but I need to be able to slide things like my hockey sticks and skii’s toward the front. My feeling it will be a little better at least than have no cover at all...

Thanks in advance!
I would say no because that piece is what secures the front of the top deck to the jeep. Without it, the top deck is only attached by the rear corners.

OP
OP
Yeeper

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But it was a small opening so if you wanted to retain the ability to use the mattress it would not work anyway
Yeah I think the Slipstream is the one you’re thinking of. It just doesn’t look as sleek to me though.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Thanks in advance!
Changing my previous answer after I remembered there are holes in the top. The one closest to the rollbar is for a hard top bolt, I don't know what the other hole is for, but either one could be utilized to hold the top down.
jbb top holes.jpg

I also fabricated a secure storage net with a pvc frame. I believe the frame could be adapted to secure your items, similar to how you want to use the backbone, but much cheaper. I posted it in the what did you do to your jeep jl today thread, #9194. The cross pieces would have to be higher (so equipment can slide under) and maybe more of them instead of the net.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-613#post-433962

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think the Slipstream is the one you’re thinking of. It just doesn’t look as sleek to me though.
Totally agree. I own a BACKBONE and it fits perfect and looks awesome. I had it on a 2018 JL Sahara soft top which I just traded for a 2019 JL Sahara Hard top. If anyone wants my JL Backbone for 2018 and newer soft top, email me at [email protected]. I am asking $300 for it and its in excellent shape but wont fit a hard top.
Sponsored