Sponsored

Put my Wrangler on a diet!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Right or wrong I judge all jeeps with the spare tire deleted as mall crawlers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just sayin.......
jpmp-rockcrawling-.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’d also look into getting a couple of Colby valve stems for an emergency. Look them up online. They can be installed without breaking down the tire. If you damaged a stem, you could replace it with one of these. You might have tpms bits rattling around, but would work until you could drive to a tire shop.

Never heard of them before, but I just ordered two to throw in the tool kit.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I considered removing as well, but It is problematic when you do need to have a spare with you, many organized clubs and runs require you to have a Spare and likely for good reason since sidewall issues are not repairable. I have a Tesla, Infinity Hard Top Convertible and 36' Motorhome none have a option for a spare so relying on Roadside service or tire repair is normal these days for us but off road i would NEVER consider it especially in the back country solo with no cell service or out of radio range to support. While if small enough cold fit in the back then you loose too much cargo capacity.

With that said I really like the no spare look

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I considered removing as well, but It is problematic when you do need to have a spare with you, many organized clubs and runs require you to have a Spare and likely for good reason since sidewall issues are not repairable. I have a Tesla, Infinity Hard Top Convertible and 36' Motorhome none have a option for a spare so relying on Roadside service or tire repair is normal these days for us but off road i would NEVER consider it especially in the back country solo with no cell service or out of radio range to support. While if small enough cold fit in the back then you loose too much cargo capacity.

With that said I really like the no spare look

You are exactly correct on the fact that many cars today either have no spare, or a minimally functional "donut" spare. While the plug kit and compressor would likely work in a traditional flat, you are correct that they would be of no help with a sidewall puncture.

When the time some to go off-roading, I will have to reconsider the setup, but even if I did acquire a bumper mounted tire carrier, I will likely look for a way to make it convertible back to this setup. I too like the look and the fact, if not an illusion, that I actually have a bit more acceleration (or as my son says, you are now carrying the equivalent of one less person with you, weightwise)

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just fill the spare with helium, but then you might have trouble keeping the rear of the Jeep on the ground ;)

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the Gladiator's spare is underneath the bed. ;)
Yeah, I realized that after I clipped the picture......oh well, can't win them all...

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Great idea! But absolutely unacceptable.
A Jeep without a spare on the back?
Phuuuttt. Please.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I seriously doubt that it was faster and likely my imagination but it sure felt spunkier.

However, it did change the stance. The rear is definitely a bit higher that it was.
I bet it was, I can tell a difference without all tools, recovery gear and arb cooler. Not sure what it weighs but enough to want taller or stiffer springs,

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Decided that since my spare weighed almost 130 pounds and the likelihood that I would I would be able to wrestle it off of the Jeep, by myself, in the event of a flat time around town was virtually zero. And since the included scissor jack can't raise the Jeep high enough with the 2" inch lift kit and 37" tires to change a tire, I would be at the mercy of AAA and/or Uber in the event of a flat anyway.
The stock scissor jack can handle 37" tire changes, lift kit has nothing to do with changing a tire.
Sponsored