Pros and Cons for each JL model

Foster174

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I have been researching a lot on which model would be best. I understand the differences in the engine options, but I have been wanting to know what model is best features wise.

I was wanting to put 35s-37s with mostly daily driver with some off road weekend use.

I’m trying to keep it budget friendly, but I want something that will offer me best bang for my buck.

Not sure which model would be best, I have been leaning toward the sport with the upgraded LSD. This will also be the 4 door model.

Any information and input will help.
Sponsored

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I have had each one JK sport, JKU Sahara, JKU Rubicon and a new JLUR on order. Got the JK sport 2 door but after several highway trips the 2 door was not for me. Got the JKU Sahara loaded and wore out the OEM tires after 20K miles and changed to 17'' fuel rims with 33" tires.
Still my favorite for highway trips and looked great.

A friend wanted to buy my JKU Sahara so he made me a great offer and I decided I needed a JKUR to see what all the fuss was about.

I was impressed with the off road manners of the JKUR and ok with the highway manners but for me the JKUR had everything I needed with minor mods and the look just impressed me.

The nice thing about the JKU sport was you could add almost all external parts on Rubicon to your sport (tires/wheels) rail sliders, Sahara steps, Steel bumpers etc.

After test driving the new JLU's JLUR I knew I wanted the JLUR but I would get a JLU sport with LSD as a second vehicle (for my daughter) and make it your own.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I was heavy between 2 door Rubi and 4 door Sport. You can see which way I went.

If you have the money for the Rubi go for it. They are great. If you're looking to save about 5k you can add those things after as you go. If it's a daily driver you will not miss the off road features one bit but I would highly recommend the LSD/D44 upgrade. For the money it just seems like a no brainer to me, plus it came with better AT tires.

Mukluk

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've been looking at the JLU Sahara and Rubi. The Sahara meets my needs as a daily driver (25-30k miles per year); however, I'm not a fan of the tire/wheel offerings which would lead me to putting a new tire/wheel combo on the Jeep. I had 33's on my JKU Willys but from what I'm reading that size tire/wheel is a bit much for the 3.45 gearing of the Sahara. I've seen a couple of reports where the owners have commented that they can't get the Jeep into the 8th gear of the transmission while rolling on 33's while at highway speeds. May or may not be a big issue to you.

With all that said I'm starting to look closer at the Rubicon - comes with 33's and is geared for that size tire/wheel. I figure if I'm going to take it in the hind end on poor MPG with either Jeep then I might as well get the Rubicon. But give me 15 minutes and I might change my mind. Again.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Foster174

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I have been very back and forth with the different options. I really think I am leaning towards the sport with the upgraded axels. I think it will allow me to build up more money for my own lift, re gear, and go with the rim and tires I actually like. I am not real to impressed about any of the different rims offered from jeep. Really would like to differentiate mine from the crowd a little, and I feel like the money I safe on purchase price would really help me on that.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I was also torn on what I wanted. Did tons of research and spend probably at least an hour per day on this website. (Sad I know, I have a problem). I was set on the Sahara, but go see them in person. The Rubi is a beast! So I went and did some cost analysis of the std features vs what I’d add to a Sahara. In the long run it’s actually cheaper to get the Rubi up front if your budget allows. Plus EVERYTHING is under the Jeep warranty then.

Lift $1500 plus labor (at least another $400 I’d presume)
33 tires ($800-$1000)+
Regearing- ???
Bigger brake kit
HD rear tire carrier

Now take some options for the sport that come std on Rubi

Rear Dana 44
I’d assume you’d upgrade to at least the 7” screen and infotainment system
A/C

Now look at all the extra goodies you get with the Rubi

Better fenders (and even the black ones are way better quality than the sport)
Awesome hood
Lockers
Sway bar disco
Not the stupid looking bumper/fender gap cover thing
Rock rails
Premium cloth seats
Rock-Trac t case

The choice is yours my friend! No wrong choice here. Unless you choose something other than a Jeep. Just my .02 cents

OP
OP

Foster174

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I mean honestly I will be doing all the work on the vehicle besides re gearing. Don’t have the tools, and it’s to easy to make a mistake and really mess something up. I honestly planned to change fenders, like the idea of choosing my own lift, my own tires, my own rims, and other parts exterior and enterior parts. I use to do body work for a while, and I don’t mind a little mechanical. I have done most of the work on my TJ now, and have really enjoyed it.

I really just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. I have honestly researched around the same as you. I think putting in the time looking around, before making that big of purchase. I have went and looked at them in person, but still haven’t drove them. I need to wait to buy, and I feel like driving one will not allow me to wait.

Really kind of stuck between engine choice as well, still want to see more specs on the Diesel engine. Also would like to see some reviews of the 4 cylinder turbo. I say both are very good options, just want to weigh the pros and cons.

I think I have time, but I really like to see what others have to input. I feel like everyone can come in from a different angle and bring things to my attention I might of missed.

I appreciate everyone’s input and welcome more.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I've been looking at the JLU Sahara and Rubi. The Sahara meets my needs as a daily driver (25-30k miles per year); however, I'm not a fan of the tire/wheel offerings which would lead me to putting a new tire/wheel combo on the Jeep. I had 33's on my JKU Willys but from what I'm reading that size tire/wheel is a bit much for the 3.45 gearing of the Sahara. I've seen a couple of reports where the owners have commented that they can't get the Jeep into the 8th gear of the transmission while rolling on 33's while at highway speeds. May or may not be a big issue to you.

With all that said I'm starting to look closer at the Rubicon - comes with 33's and is geared for that size tire/wheel. I figure if I'm going to take it in the hind end on poor MPG with either Jeep then I might as well get the Rubicon. But give me 15 minutes and I might change my mind. Again.
Go with the Rubi

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Half of the appeal of the sport is you truly get to “make it your own” the other half is probably the cheaper price. If you are willing to go aftermarket and enjoy building it up, then sounds like you have already made up your mind haha.

Cheers!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Foster174

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Yea I have a pretty good idea, but just want to make sure there is nothing I’m missing or might of over looked.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
A big pro of the Rubicon model is that big, beautiful Rubicon decal on the hood. :rock:
It looks so much nicer in person next to the Sahara , it’s not even close aesthetically

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks so much nicer in person next to the Sahara , it’s not even close aesthetically
I agree. My I put $$$ down on an Ocean Blue JLUR but my order can’t be completed due to the restraint on painted hard top. But, once I saw it in person, there was no longer a debate! Plus drove it and tested the crawl ratio in 4-lo. Dayummmmm (damn) in a good way.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I agree. My I put $$$ down on an Ocean Blue JLUR but my order can’t be completed due to the restraint on painted hard top. But, once I saw it in person, there was no longer a debate! Plus drove it and tested the crawl ratio in 4-lo. Dayummmmm (damn) in a good way.
I was immediately sold as well
Sponsored