Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I am about to make the summer switch over from hard top to soft top. I am fortunate enough to have room in my garage for a simply hoist to keep the hard top up and out of the way.

I got the soft top via marketplace and it was nearly new. I also have room in my garage to store it during the winter.

Weather reputation not with standing May through September are decent convertible weather in the PNW, temps are typically not too hot and the rain really does slow down. Again, I am fortunate to have a garage to park in as well, so if rain is forecasted and I don't want to put the top up, I can stash my Jeep in the garage
Sponsored

The Beef

First Name
Ant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend Bronco, 2022 Willys
I'm down in SOFL with a soft top, it's a must to have the soft in FL IMO. Just got my JLU in January, and honestly "winter" was fantastic. Great weather to drop the top. Always a fan of pulling the top back at night time as long as the weather cooperates.

I'm 6'4, so I can certainly feel a bit of warmth when I first get in on hot days. I'd imagine soft tops out AZ, Nevada has to be ROUGH in the summer time when it's 100 degrees out in the desert. Soft top is a little noisy if you're on the highway, nothing you won't get use to and shouldn't be a deterrent since we're talking about taking it all the way down.

Super easy to take down and put up. Also if you're just going with Sunrider style and leaving the windows is beyond easy.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Central Florida rules - get a soft top.

The hard top is not designed to be taken on and off on a regular basis. Once you take it off, you will not want to put it back on. But while it is off, it will take up a lot of valuable space somewhere around or in your home.

The JL soft top is a modern marvel of technology. It is nothing like your TJ.

I hope Clermont treats you well. Used to fish the lakes often before it became what it is today.

KevinC
If the hardtop wasn't meant to be taken on and off on a regular basis they wouldn't have made it so easy to remove. My JLUR is my 3rd Jeep with a hardtop (other 2 were JKU's). Top on all of them goes on and off on a regular basis, depending on weather I might go this process a couple of times in a week. I can strip it down or put humpty dumpty back together in 20 minutes by myself, that includes removing/putting back on the regular doors and tube doors.

With that being said if I still lived in FL where you can set your watch on the times that T storms move across the state, I would probably have a soft top and if I have room for storage I would have both. I prefer the ride with a hard top but would love the convenience a soft top offers during the stormy season in FL

RayAllen

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I think that soft top versus hard top might partially depend on the usage of the vehicle? If it was my only vehicle, driven every day, I might buy the hardtop with the soft flip back front (I always felt that the hard T-Tops were a pain in the butt if you didn't want to scratch them). I have a truck I drive so the Jeep has only a soft top. I've had 13 Wranglers, mostly Rubicons, and have had mostly dual tops. It got so I would take the hardtop off and put the soft top on and never change back (but like I said it's not my only vehicle). By the way, I've had a skyslider as well........ and in my opinion, it was not the same as a full soft top.......... you didn't have that wide open feel. And since I live in Colorado, when I go to the mountains, I want that wide open feeling.

SilentBanshee424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S, 2004 Moto Guzzi 750
I live in Central Florida and got a hardtop initially. I wanted a soft top for the same reasons as you (confidence with the afternoon showers). I ended up getting a Bestop NX last month and LOVE IT! Best purchase I made for my Jeep.

Sponsored

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I had an 01’ TJ with only a hard top. That jeep was pretty easy to take on and off by yourself and back then I didn’t mind getting wet if the sky opened up.

My JL came with both tops, initially I didn’t like the soft top but after a week or two I’ve grown to love it. Takes 5 minutes to pop windows out or reinstall and less than a minute to fold back. Wind noise is barely noticeable and it seals up great.

I think it looks pretty cool in “safari” mode as well. Also for top off doors off days the soft top in this mode cuts the wind way down for backseat passengers.

if I didn’t live in New England I’d be seriously considering selling the hard top. If I was to order another one I’d probably skip the hard top and just keep the jeep in the garage during the winter when it’s not being driven.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Concrete King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If the hardtop wasn't meant to be taken on and off on a regular basis they wouldn't have made it so easy to remove.
Like you, I often swap mine on/off. It's not uncommon for me to even take it off just for a day. With not much practice the process is fast.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I'm in New England and I love having the two tops for the weather change, but I am aware I am fortunate enough to be able to store either top in a safe place. In the past I have had just the soft on past Jeeps this being my 6th and they were fine through all the seasons as long as you don't let too much weight ie snow sit on the top. And to those who live in high heat locations the new JL soft top is great in safari mode... so you still have the top above your head sheilding you from the sun but can remove the windows and rear curtain to have a sufficient amount of air flow through the cab as to not need the ac.

Sponsored

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I have both tops. The soft top has some disadvantages that have been listed:
Noise - its louder than the hardtop
Security - easier to break into
Heat - Florida summers, wow its going to be hot in the Jeep when you first get in

and one I have not seen mentioned is the access to the cargo area. If you regularly use your "trunk", the hardtop is much better. Not only does the top shield you from the rain, but it is very easy to load and unload your stuff. Nothing like trying to reach into the back of the Jeep and have to duck under the bar...
and yes, for trips I have just popped the bar out with the sides of the back "window" and just put it up on the roof. Still, much easier for the hardtop.

Is all of that enough for me to say you shouldn't get the soft top? NO, still get the soft top. It will transform your Jeep...Just know what you're going to sacrifice...

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Mainly, the difference in noise level at higher speeds. Water leaks,

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I've had them all. The sunrider for hardtop, hardtop, and premium twill softtop.

I sold the sunrider for hardtop. I live in an area with high humidity and temp during summer, and the sunrider let a lot of heat in. Wasn't really worth it to me.

Decided to go with the softtop in fall, spring, and as much of the summer and winter that I can handle.

The soft top is undeniably cooler as far as looks and top-down utility go. It is just as quiet as the hardtop other than the back quarters letting loud traffic noise in.

The hardtop is much easier to cool in the hot ass summer. Talking 96 degrees and 100% humidity. My hardtop actually lets more wind noise in too.

Keep in mind you can't rent trailers with a soft top too.

I love them both for different reasons and seasons. I'm hard pressed to tell you which one I would choose if I had to choose one.

If I could only do one, I'd lean to the hardtop and sunrider for hardtop. However, I'd be missing out on a quintessential Jeep experience of a soft top, and that can't be discounted.

20211113_142153.jpg

20210506_202424.jpg

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Might be the extreme minority here but after seeing a few “premium” soft tops the last few days I actually prefer the “look” of the standard soft top, performance benefits aside. I saw one “premium” on a JLU today and it looked a little floppy and cheap, sort of like the bronco soft top. The soft top on my two door fits super tight and looks great.

DB68D6C3-CBC2-4FFB-A6F9-9A39BCD9320D.jpeg

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
I don't have a soft top for my JL; nor would I probably ever get one.

That said, I HAD a soft and hard top for my TJ, but I recently sold the soft top.

The soft tops (to me) seemed like a novelty. On my TJ, it was clunky, difficult to actually 'roll down,' and was more or less just swapped on every spring to just be removed every fall. I would take it down once or twice a year, and the windows would come out every so often. I honestly find just having the hard top and taking that off is faster than unzipping the windows and folding the top down. It was also pretty difficult to keep the top looking clean, I found, as well.

When I first got my TJ (13 years ago!), I *had* to buy a soft top - and I did enjoy it for a while, but I just don't have time anymore to enjoy taking the windows out/roof down.

When considering other factors, like 'ease of access' (easier to access back area with a hard top!), security, noise, warmth, etc., I just do not see the point to having a soft top anymore.

In summary - soft tops are 'cool,' but I find hard tops are more functional (especially with the freedom panels).
Sponsored