Sponsored

Hard top vs Soft top pros and cons?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
In the summer, I usually run with the soft top in safari mode, top up but back and side windows off. But I sunburn easily. I do love taking the back and side windows off and running that way, without the sun beating down on me. I usually keep the windows in the storage bag in the back in case a shower pops up. If I am at work and it seems like rain may pop up, I can leave my desk for 5-10 minutes and have it all buttoned up again. If the hard top had the option of taking the back and sides off instead of the top, I might go for that instead.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hey all, I purchased my JLU last week. It has the black hardtop but I'm REALLY thinking about going with the mopar twill black soft top. Reason being is that we are in Florida. It rains on a daily basis here in the summer. I would love to be able to ride around without the top or safari and when some storms roll in just throw the top on. The versatility of the soft top is really pushing me to that side.

Other than the fact that someone can cut into the soft top are there any other cons you all could think of? The hardtop definitely looks better on the JLU but I'd be willing to trade looks to go topless.

1651504763965.png
Having gone out of my way to get a hard top, I'll tell you the soft top is the best. Obviously less secure, but I don't keep anything valuable in the Jeep. Top up/down on a whim is great, I'm just north of you and my top is down 75% of the year. Windows only take a couple minutes.
Winter is a non-issue, the twill is superior to the soft tops of old.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Prior to this JL, my last hard top was a TJ and it wasn’t the best. But now the freedom panels on the JL hard top make it a great option IMO. Have also had a JK with the soft top and half doors, tons of fun. Either way you can’t go wrong. I’d get the hard top due to cost outside of the Jeep sale and then buy an aftermarket soft, you have the best of both worlds.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Might be the extreme minority here but after seeing a few “premium” soft tops the last few days I actually prefer the “look” of the standard soft top, performance benefits aside. I saw one “premium” on a JLU today and it looked a little floppy and cheap, sort of like the bronco soft top. The soft top on my two door fits super tight and looks great.

DB68D6C3-CBC2-4FFB-A6F9-9A39BCD9320D.jpeg
Agreed.

Sponsored

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Is there anything like a soft top that has a low profile? I have a hard top now. But my jeep is on 40s with 5ins of lift. I have maybe 2 to 2.5ins lf clearance. I know the factory soft top looks taller then the hard top. Is there another soft top that a lower profile?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I know the factory soft top looks taller then the hard top. Is there another soft top that a lower profile?
The soft top does sit higher as a consequence of its design. I personally like the modest improvement in headroom.

Possibly @Bestop can comment on soft top options here. They actually manufacture the convertible tops installed at the factory, and would likely have any additional intel than can be offered here.

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
The soft top does sit higher as a consequence of its design. I personally like the modest improvement in headroom.

Possibly @Bestop can comment on soft top options here. They actually manufacture the convertible tops installed at the factory, and would likely have any additional intel than can be offered here.
I noticed the trek top looks a little slimmer but I don't know how much

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Everyone always says to order the hardtop first, and add the soft top. However the hardtop addition isn't crazy expensive, considering you get the soft top for free. On a side note it is definitely worth your time to use the Mopar app. I attached a pic. It would save you $700 on the hardtop. I don't think every dealer would offer up that price. This is for a 2 door.
Screenshot_20230127-084446_Chrome.jpg
So the hardtop first recommendation is for the wiring and piping.

May want to make sure that's the entire hardtop. Says it's part 19 which is just pointing to the rear shell.

Sponsored

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
I just couldn’t deal with how sloppy and low rent it makes the Jeep look, so it was either hard top or SOT for me.

All the more reason you can’t get a hard top at all on a Bronco now is a crime against humanity….LOL.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can open up my softop in 60 seconds. Drive to work. Close it while I'm parked at work all day. Then open it in 60 seconds and drive home. (sunrider position which is AWESOME).

You get the same number of open square inches with softtop sunrider position vs, the hard top "freedom" panels which were heavy and difficult to manage.

When the sale rep demonstrated the freedom panels it took about 15 minutes to get them removed and properly stored.

It took 60 seconds to flip the softtop to sunrider.
Removing/reinstalling the side and back windows would add 10 minutes.
The added benefit of zero windows isn't worth the extra time.
We get frequent and random hard rain showers on the gulf coast so soft top sunrider makes the most sense.
I timed myself last summer. 5 min to get the soft top fully down or back up including windows stowed in the bag and put in the back or windows back installed. in the Jeep. Usually I'm more causal about it, but I wanted to see how quick I could do it in case I got caught in the rain.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
My JLU is a hard top, but I've owned Jeeps in the past with both hard and soft tops. I'd say get the soft top, you'll love it. They've improved massively over the years. They seal great and wind noise isn't that bad IMHO. I ran a soft top in NJ even in the winter and had no problems. IF you're in a high crime area, just don't leave anything out in plain site. Don't give anyone a reason to break in. I never had a problem though. Criminals know that we know how easy it is to break in. Just like any other convertible out there. Keep the hardtop around for winter travelling or vacation of security is an issue.

BTW I strongly recommend looking at Bestop soft tops. Been around for many years and give you some cool options. Quality is top notch. Better or equal to OEM. The OEM sunrider top option for new jeeps is actually made by Bestop, jeep just limits the warranty (Bestop offers lifetime).
Also Bestop IS the manufacturer of the wrangler soft top that comes from the factory. Their quality is so fantastic Jeep just chose them for manufacturing of the OEM soft top.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
FYI, a new member posted in this thread a couple times (which I replied to) and then deleted his account. This is like a year old necro thread.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I can open up my softop in 60 seconds. Drive to work. Close it while I'm parked at work all day. Then open it in 60 seconds and drive home. (sunrider position which is AWESOME).

You get the same number of open square inches with softtop sunrider position vs, the hard top "freedom" panels which were heavy and difficult to manage.

When the sale rep demonstrated the freedom panels it took about 15 minutes to get them removed and properly stored.

It took 60 seconds to flip the softtop to sunrider.
Removing/reinstalling the side and back windows would add 10 minutes.
The added benefit of zero windows isn't worth the extra time.
We get frequent and random hard rain showers on the gulf coast so soft top sunrider makes the most sense.
Ok. Lol. Not sure why you quoted me though.

In saying that, 15 min to remove freedom panels is ridiculous and 10 min to install the soft top windows is also about 5 min too long.
Sponsored