Proper Jeep Wave

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I'm on my 3rd Wrangler (2021 JLUR) and I totally believe in the Jeep wave ... if I see a Wrangler, I'm waving. Hell, sometimes I forget myself and I'll wave when I'm driving my wife's Mazda :)

I'm wondering what are people's thoughts on the method of the wave... does the hand have to be on the steering wheel and you lift 2 fingers for the peace sign or a 4-finger wave? Of course, if you have the doors off you can drop it down to the side, that's acceptable.

Sometimes, I'll have my arm sitting on the open window (doors ON) and I'll give the peace sign over the mirror ... is that a proper Jeep wave? Sometimes I feel silly when, I see a Wrangler approaching and I'll shift my hand position to get a hand at the top of the steering wheel just so I can make a normal wave.

Mostly, I'm just curious if the wave has to come from a hand on the steering wheel. Do you consider it a proper wave if someone say, waves out of the window?

Silly topic I know ... but to me the Jeep wave is a state of mind that Wrangler owners understand and some of us think it's pretty important.
Back in the day, driving my TJ Sport, a hand right out the window was a thing. Don't know what the protocol is.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard that too, but back in the 70"s, us teenagers with CJ's started waving & then it evolved in our area. I think the WWll story was made up by Jeep to make it seem greater than it is.
Actually, a few of the number of people that have approached me about my Jeep, have been members of that post war generation or the children of returned soldiers. The story seems to jive as more than just a story, but who knows for sure. Not many of them are still with us. Personally, I like the story and I look at the wave as a symbol of both jeeper to jeeper and a nod to America in general.

Another feeling I'm inclined to express, is we as a society need these things like the Jeep wave, motorcycle wave, and even that rubber ducky thing. They are a couple of simple things that help promote togetherness in a world filling with dividing lines. United we stand, divided we fall.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I am a pretty defensive driver (not saying others aren't) and a lot of times I am looking like three cars ahead of me in my own lane and stuff, I am sure I have missed plenty of Jeep waves, but not on purpose. So hopefully not too many people think I am a jerk. 😁

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
My husband, who has driven a Wrangler for years, once got a wave from someone driving a Jeep while he was driving the Honda Civic I owned at the time. I don't know how they knew, but they knew.
This happened to me and my wife last Friday while driving our Subaru. We both laughed and said "how does he know?" How did he know??? 😁

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
My first Jeep was just delivered last night, so I have yet to initiate a wave, BUT the other night while walking through town with my wife, a black Gladiator drove by. He caught me eyeing his rig, and he gave ME the two finger over the wheel Jeep wave…. I told my wife he could “sense” my Jeep was comin’!

:)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My first Jeep was just delivered last night, so I have yet to initiate a wave, BUT the other night while walking through town with my wife, a black Gladiator drove by. He caught me eyeing his rig, and he gave ME the two finger over the wheel Jeep wave…. I told my wife he could “sense” my Jeep was comin’!

:)
Congrats on the new Jeep, and welcome to the community, Ray!

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I will add one thing.

I won't wave at a Jeep that has an angry eyes grill on it.

Just sayin'.

Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
There are no rules. Wave however you want.

There is no hierarchy. If you feel like waving at a Jeep, do it.

Some people wave first. Others will wave back. A bunch of them won't be paying attention enough to notice or may just not feel like waving. I know when I'm in heavy traffic I don't wave much because I'm focused on the mass of idiots around me.

There are no "wave police". If you feel like waving, do it however you want. If you get a wave back, appreciate it. If you don't get a wave back, forget it and move on.
This is exactly the kind of thing an undercover Wave Cop might say…

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler islander
Around here.. Doors off people that return the wave, wave out the door, about mid level if it was there.

99% doors on people 2 finger the steering wheel

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Congrats on the new Jeep, and welcome to the community, Ray!
Thanks!

Just got back from Registries and passed a real old CJ on the way! I know the hierarchy, I gave her the wave!

....Out the window, down at seat level, V for Victory. :)

JeepAtLast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 64 FI Vette
Occupation
Service Writer
I will wave with 2 fingers or 4 fingers and sometimes the hangten wave, all depends on if Im shifting in trafffic. I will give the 1 finger salute to them that dont wave back, that's just rude. :)
Sponsored