Proper Jeep Wave

Spinodi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I'm on my 3rd Wrangler (2021 JLUR) and I totally believe in the Jeep wave ... if I see a Wrangler, I'm waving. Hell, sometimes I forget myself and I'll wave when I'm driving my wife's Mazda :)

I'm wondering what are people's thoughts on the method of the wave... does the hand have to be on the steering wheel and you lift 2 fingers for the peace sign or a 4-finger wave? Of course, if you have the doors off you can drop it down to the side, that's acceptable.

Sometimes, I'll have my arm sitting on the open window (doors ON) and I'll give the peace sign over the mirror ... is that a proper Jeep wave? Sometimes I feel silly when, I see a Wrangler approaching and I'll shift my hand position to get a hand at the top of the steering wheel just so I can make a normal wave.

Mostly, I'm just curious if the wave has to come from a hand on the steering wheel. Do you consider it a proper wave if someone say, waves out of the window?

Silly topic I know ... but to me the Jeep wave is a state of mind that Wrangler owners understand and some of us think it's pretty important.
Sponsored

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
It doesn't matter. A wave is a wave. The driver of the oncoming vehicle that you wave to shouldn't even take the time to tell the details of the wave. I wave to all Wranglers and Gladiators, and to all pretty girls no matter what they are driving. No one has ever complained about my wave technique. :)

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
There shouldn't be a standard wave. I get a lot of 2 fingers above the steering wheel, but my favorites are the other variants: out the side windows, out the open door, and everyone in the Jeep sticking hands out everywhere at the same time (group of teens). A wave is a wave.

I'm a first time Jeep owner. I wasn't really liking the idea if have to wave to fellow Jeepers out there because I felt dumb getting waved at whenever I drove my dad's Corvettes around as a kid. As it turns out, getting waved at by fellow Jeepers is pretty great.

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator
When I bought my first Jeep, a gladiator, I was getting waves on my test drive. The salesman told me all about the Jeep wave. My response was, man I ride a Harley and have to wave at every motorcycle is see and now you are telling me that I will have to wave at every Jeep too? That might just be a deal breaker. I was joking of course. I love the wave, not everyone seems to like waving at the gladiator though.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Well, here in Southern Ontario if the doors are on then you get either a two or four fingered wave off the steering wheel. That's pretty standard.
However, if the doors are off, you get a "Harley" style wave out the driver's door that is typically about level with the seat portion of the driver's seat, but definitely below the driver's side mirror, assuring recognition by the oncoming Jeeper.
There is one exception ... if the Jeep is topless, with or without doors, and filled with blondes, they all wave frantically, both hands, arms above their heads. Of course the driver waves as per usual for the door configuration.

dfwmountainbiker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 (TJ) Wrangler
In my TJ, I believed in the hierarchy..... JL must wave first to JK, JK to TJ, TJ to YJ, YJ to CJ. I heard that a long time ago as a Jeep club 'respect the elder and those without creature comforts' deal.

Now, I just wave to some JL, most JK, all TJ and below. Live in a mountainous area - many mall crawlers. So I don't wave to most newest Jeeps bc I noticed they never look nor return.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
NOT a proper Jeep wave.......for some reason he's not waving like a fool. You get the idea

Jeep Wrangler JL Proper Jeep Wave 885607CC-C8F5-4C2E-A1C1-3462208AC38C_4_5005_c

Sponsored

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I think pretty much any wave is acceptable when the alternative is no wave. And yes, OP, I shift my hand on the steering wheel more than I'd like to admit to get it into wave position. :like:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
There are no rules. Wave however you want.

There is no hierarchy. If you feel like waving at a Jeep, do it.

Some people wave first. Others will wave back. A bunch of them won't be paying attention enough to notice or may just not feel like waving. I know when I'm in heavy traffic I don't wave much because I'm focused on the mass of idiots around me.

There are no "wave police". If you feel like waving, do it however you want. If you get a wave back, appreciate it. If you don't get a wave back, forget it and move on.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It all started after WWII, and was the 2 finger that represented "V" for victory. Not sure if it necessarily had to come from the steering wheel, pretty sure it didn't matter if it was out the window. Nowadays, any wave from anywhere that can be seen by those you're waving to is an equal acknowledgement of one fellow Jeep lover to the next. I, for one, don't hesitate to throw one to our JT cousins and even other offroad built up Jeep models from any generation or model. Some of the more enthusiastic responses have been from built Cherokees from yesteryear.
Sponsored