WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Take it from someone that Overlands and wheels trails on long 2-3 week trips at a time. Powertanks are great, they air up really fast and are really high quality. But, I would never advise someone to buy one as a single solution. Refilling it takes time (driving to the shop), finding a shop that will refill them in random towns is a pain and if you don’t carry a tool to weigh it, you don’t really know how much you have left. I would recommend a compressor first and if you have extra money and can afford both, that’s the way to go.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If a power tank ran empty in my neck of the woods you wouldn't get it filled on a weekend, weekday is a strong maybe, 99 miles to the next possible place to try.
You're profile says close to Death Valley. There's Praxair and Airgas gas depots within 50 miles east and west of death valley.

I saw Jaws too many times as a kid to voluntarily spend too much time near a tank of compressed air.
Your Jaws reference is incorrect. It's not compressed air. It's liquid CO2. Storing as a liquid means the tank has a lot more energy but is in a much safer state. Crack the tank off a 3,000 PSI nitrogen or air tank then a CO2 tank and you'll appreciate the difference.

The topic of discussion here... a PowerTank can do about 20psi in a 35" tire in about 45 seconds.

If he's talking about a compressor he's either on small tires or full of it. Doesn't matter how many are being done at once, no compact compressor flows that kind of air.
Wheeling in a group once as twisted up the torsion bar anchor on an Xterra. We removed it, cut it into pieces with a cut off wheel powered by a CO2 tank, heated the pieces with MAPP gas, hammered flat, then stick welded them back together with a few Optima batteries. You can't beat the energy contained in a CO2 tank.

Skip the PowerTank. It's pretty and all but you're paying more for less convenience. Get a standard 20 LB aluminum tank from a gas supply depot, high flow CO2 regulator, and a good hose. If you keep your eye out you might even find a 20 LB tank for free. You can drop the tank and pick up a full one at any gas depot which are all over the place. It's really not a big deal. If you're worried about running out pick up a 5 LB tank as a reserve back up. You typically can't get a 5 lb tank from a gas depot but can get one filled at a fire extinguisher company or a beer store. Again, not really a big deal. A cheap fish scale is all that is needed to weigh the tank and you'll quickly learn how many times you can air up before you need to drop the tank for a full one. I ran my CO2 tank for 10 years and ran the tank empty once wheeling monthly or more and using it at home for air tools because I didn't have a compressor.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You're profile says close to Death Valley. There's Praxair and Airgas gas depots within 50 miles east and west of death valley.

Your Jaws reference is incorrect. It's not compressed air. It's liquid CO2. Storing as a liquid means the tank has a lot more energy but is in a much safer state. Crack the tank off a 3,000 PSI nitrogen or air tank then a CO2 tank and you'll appreciate the difference.

Wheeling in a group once as twisted up the torsion bar anchor on an Xterra. We removed it, cut it into pieces with a cut off wheel powered by a CO2 tank, heated the pieces with MAPP gas, hammered flat, then stick welded them back together with a few Optima batteries. You can't beat the energy contained in a CO2 tank.

Skip the PowerTank. It's pretty and all but you're paying more for less convenience. Get a standard 20 LB aluminum tank from a gas supply depot, high flow CO2 regulator, and a good hose. If you keep your eye out you might even find a 20 LB tank for free. You can drop the tank and pick up a full one at any gas depot which are all over the place. It's really not a big deal. If you're worried about running out pick up a 5 LB tank as a reserve back up. You typically can't get a 5 lb tank from a gas depot but can get one filled at a fire extinguisher company or a beer store. Again, not really a big deal. A cheap fish scale is all that is needed to weigh the tank and you'll quickly learn how many times you can air up before you need to drop the tank for a full one. I ran my CO2 tank for 10 years and ran the tank empty once wheeling monthly or more and using it at home for air tools because I didn't have a compressor.
The Praxair and Airgas here is closed on the weekends. There may be ones further up north that i dont know about. But even then not worth the drive to me. Getting to the one on the east side of DV would take about 2.5-3 hours to get to through DV, far longer than making the 99 mile trek south of here to antelope valley. You enjoy your powertank, im not sold and will stick with my compressor.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The Praxair and Airgas here is closed on the weekends. There may be ones further up north that i dont know about. But even then not worth the drive to me. Getting to the one on the east side of DV would take about 2.5-3 hours to get to through DV, far longer than making the 99 mile trek south of here to antelope valley. You enjoy your powertank, im not sold and will stick with my compressor.
Well said. Sometimes folks who don’t live near other folks should just hush up since it is unlikely that an internet search is better than local KNOWLEDGE.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Holy Momma of the Divinity of your choice! THAT is a terrific idea! Was it easy to install?
I’ve considered adding this too.
@Sting_NC_USA where’d you mount your ARB twin? Do you have other air outlets? Where? Details!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Momma of the Divinity of your choice! THAT is a terrific idea! Was it easy to install?
It really was. Just have to drop the rear tail light out, with minor trimming to the inner-section of plastic fuel door assembly.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve considered adding this too.
@Sting_NC_USA where’d you mount your ARB twin? Do you have other air outlets? Where? Details!
CT, I have mine mounted in the rear cargo storage bin. I ran the air hose through the drain plug at the bottom of the bin, then between the heat insulation and the bottom of the Jeep. From there, it was snaked up behind the fuel door.

I purchased the rubber cargo bin liner and have mounted the ARB Twin to that. Doesn't move, and the rubber material helps to reduce noise and vibration.

When I use it, I have a large PVC pipe cap that I wedge between the cargo lid and the cubby. Provides plenty of air, and very little modification.

This is an old picture of the mounting spot, and I've reconfigured the hoses since.

Jeep Wrangler JL Powertank vs. On board compressor 20200126_164309

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
CT, I have mine mounted in the rear cargo storage bin. I ran the air hose through the drain plug at the bottom of the bin, then between the heat insulation and the bottom of the Jeep. From there, it was snaked up behind the fuel door.

I purchased the rubber cargo bin liner and have mounted the ARB Twin to that. Doesn't move, and the rubber material helps to reduce noise and vibration.

When I use it, I have a large PVC pipe cap that I wedge between the cargo lid and the cubby. Provides plenty of air, and very little modification.

This is an old picture of the mounting spot, and I've reconfigured the hoses since.

Jeep Wrangler JL Powertank vs. On board compressor 20200126_164309
Thanks. I think I might do this. I have the under passenger seat mount with fittings on the outsides of each front seat. I want to add a tank underneath the body and route a line to the fuel opening like you have. Possibly beyond my skills, but I know a guy.
Sponsored