Power steering not keeping up?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I’m at 1800 miles now, just noticed my steering wheel is hard to turn when stationary on pavement. It is on stock 33 in ko2, 40 psi, feels like it’s on 35 in tire deflated to around 20 psi. Anybody experiencing the same? Hate to have dealer visit so damn early.
Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Mine is not like that. Something must be up with the power steering pump. I'm new to the JL but I believe they are electric. Maybe check the fuses? Everyone talks about loose unseated fuses.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Stock wheels too? Something is wrong then. If not stock wheels, your scrub radius may have changed, decreasing your stationary steering performance.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s stock wheel stock tires. I have seated all the fuse at dealer parking lot. It’s not my first JL and my last 2018 only did this when airing down on larger tires. I know there is a kit/ check valve you can install on the electronic power steering pump to bump up the pressure when stationary but thats for people running on 37+. I’m stock at this moment. Will keep an eye on it and report back.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I have no idea other than take it to the dealer to see what's up. Maybe air in the system.

But 40psi! Brutal.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why 40 psi? Not that it has anything to do with your issue, but that's too high for those tires.
inflate cold tire to 36, by the time you drove couple hour in 100 degree weather and it will be at 40.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I never had that issue in any of my JLURs until my 2020 had the steering box replaced. once that was done it happened quite a bit. my cousin had a 2019 JLUR with the steering box replaced at the same time (different state and dealer) and he had the exact same issues.

after doing some research since then I am thinking the system was not bled right, or there was an air bubble in the lines after they replaced the steering box. I cant say for sure, or if it would have gotten worse as we both sold those Jeeps.

It was for sure something with the new steering boxes, just not sure if it is a design issue, or issue with installation. neither of us ever had those issues before the box replacement.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

inflate cold tire to 36, by the time you drove couple hour in 100 degree weather and it will be at 40.
Relax. You’re post made it sound like you were cold filled to 40.

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
To add a little flavor. I was heading up the Transfer Trail in Glenwood Springs, CO a couple weeks ago and got a warning flash in the display. Something about Power steering temps maybe? I don't remember exactly what it said but ended up stopping for a buddy whos Trans Temp was way too high on his 2019 Rubi Recon. Never noticed an issue with my steering and after waiting for his trans to cool down, I never got the warning again.

Sponsored

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
I first noticed this issue halfway up Imogene Pass getting the overheat warning. Crashed the drone and had to stop so the 392 was able to cool down while I searched. I brushed the overheat off. It happened again a few days later an hour into the trip to Engineer Pass. It got really hard to turn at one point and I got the warning. Stopping for pictures at one spot allowed the engine bay to cool again. I haven't had the warning come up since that trip, but I have noticed a few times at home where the power steering is harder to turn that it should be. I'm at 4200 miles. Like the OP, I hesitant to take it to the dealer so early but it's kind of a PITA to have the warning come up only an hour into the trail. It's not like that trail was tough compared to all the TX rock crawling I put my JK through.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I’d imagine there’s a bit more heat in the engine bay now with the 392’s vs say my turbo 4. Could be wrong.

But I did overheat my pump in Moab on stock tires a few times on my ‘19 JLUR. Apex makes a boost kit for the pump that includes an optional cooler which may not be a bad idea assuming fitment is compatible.

That said OP’s experience sounds abnormal for sure.
Sponsored