Potential Newb Daily Driver Question/Concern

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hi everybody. My wife is looking at a new Sahara for her daily driver, and I was wondering what folks could offer for thoughts on the Sahara? We both like the idea of the Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System for the day to day drive come winter with snow and black ice. I drove the 4 Cyclinder a couple of months ago in a Rubicon and was pretty impressed.

A few questions come to mind:
-Realistic Fuel Economy Expectations
-How does the Wrangler handle on the highway (especially on a windy day)
-What are the pro’s and con’s a new owner should expect

I guess in short, we’re looking for current owners thoughts. I’ve watched/read multiple reviews, so I’ve got a good idea of what to expect as does my wife. I’d just like to see what others think.
- Fuel Economy - So far my lifetime MPG is 17.5 with 6K miles.
- Highway Driving - About as expected. I've driven in 50mph+ crosswinds which isn't necessarily scary, but a little fatiguing if battling it for long periods of time.
- Biggest Pro - You feel like this when you drive it...
157646-zoolander-driving-drinking-ice-PHMK.gif
Sponsored

TMac99

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
We purchased our 2018 JLUS primarily because we needed a vehicle to tow behind our RV from time to time. The other car in our garage is a BMW X5. We have our choice of the two when we go out for a drive - without fail, both my wife and I choose the JLUS as a daily drive. Can't explain it 100%, I love the BMW and it has some great features (head up display, adaptive cruise control, etc), but the JLUS just puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
This is my first SUV, got a JLUS with v6

Gas mileage ~ 21 to 22 mpg.

Ride is not as quite as most SUVs, but not bad. As others have said if comfort is a top priority then I would pass. I wanted something the family can have fun with. It took me 10 months to pull the trigger.

My wife likes it, but she would not want to let go of the comfort and ride in her Infiniti FX35 with AWD.

Best to rent one for the weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram Power Wagon, 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thanks for chiming in. A few thoughts to the responses:
- I’ve been married long enough to always think of the Hummer as a failed Chevy SUV
-The whole “lifestyle” responses were less than helpful
-The answers about fuel economy, wind noise, and handling were appreciated

I’m not new to the small SUV world. My first car in HS was a Suzuki Sidekick (as close as my broke ass could afford to a Jeep). I’ve been in and around Jeeps for a while, I’ve just never owned one. My wife has always wanted one, but always leaned towards the practical side. Her first comment this go around was “I want something fun.” My wife works her ass off, and if she falls in love with the Wrangler, she has my full support. If it turns out to be a marginal road trip vehicle we’ll just take my truck. When I saw the look in her eyes when she saw the Sahara in “Bikini Pearl” I couldn’t help but smile. She may drive the thing and hate it, I don’t know. I’m just doing a ton of research and supporting whatever vehicle she wants.

Just a fun FYI, the other vehicle she’s really interested in is the Colorado ZR2.

Sponsored

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
For a daily drive the Sahara has all comfort and tech that I need.
I have had to get used to steering coming from an 08 Camry. 1st week felt like it wondered a bit.
Noticed a LOT more bugs on my windshield..can't seem to keep it clean.
Storage space not the best but adequate.
I don't regret buying Sahara.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for chiming in. A few thoughts to the responses:
-The whole “lifestyle” responses were less than helpful
Oh I get it, you’re here to make friends. :facepalm:

For most Jeep owners, it becomes a lifestyle. If it doesn’t, you’ll likely trade it in soon. You’ll know who I’m talking about when all those in the lifestyle wave on the road. Where I live, it’s running about 80% of the Jeeps initiate or wave back.

This guy says it well.

Ready to order 1st Jeep, a Rubicon. Advice from Jeep sages?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
They handle like a Jeep. Turn on a dime so parking is great. That same turning on a windy day moves you all over the road.

It’s my 4th Jeep. I’ve had maybe 30 vehicles and a few motorcycles. It’s the most fun I’ve had to drive. But not the fastest, slowest, smoothest, bumpiest, worst or best handling.
Just curious if you had modded any of your previous jeeps? I know this one you’re stock and it looks good. Like the red accents.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my first Jeep and a daily driver. I don’t commute far daily to work but do take trips 3-6 hour drives to visit family and my son who is away at school. I love it.
I’ve had numerous suv’s and cars. I kinda got bored with all of them except for my old Ford Expedition. That thing was a tank but It served me well when I was transporting a bunch of young hockey players and all their gear.
I haven’t had the top totally off yet, only the front panels and that was fun.
I think she’ll like it. The gas and voice work a lot better than some other autos out there. That’s important to me.
Wind noise can be a little annoying but with headliners it does help.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go in with realistic expectations, that's half the battle right there. The new JL is a heck of a lot more daily driver friendly than previous models, but it's a body on frame Jeep with 2 live axles and the aerodynamics of a shoe box. My $.02 worth is DEFINITELY get the upgraded sound (I didn't and regret it), LED lighting (I DID and LOVE it) and given your locale the Cold Weather Group. The 2.0T is a great engine... have it in our Rubi and love it. And the Selec-Trac is great for inclement weather. Leather would be nice too. It'll be a very capable Jeep yet suitable for daily driver duty.

Our Rubicon does daily driver duty and I have absolutely ZERO regrets about it. It's our first Jeep and we couldn't be happier with it. What I like about the 2.0 is that you can get 18-20 MPG all day long even if you're in city traffic. And driving a Wrangler gives you a feeling very few vehicles offer.

If you belong to the group of folk who've always wanted a Wrangler but never did/could/whatever.. now is a great time to take the leap. Just do it for you and don't give a flip about what anyone else thinks.

Good luck!
I never test drive the 2.0 but I can imagine the pickup must be awesome.

Sponsored

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
I have not had my 2.0 out on an "a$$hole mode" style race, but holy crap if I need some punch...it is there before I even consider it.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just curious if you had modded any of your previous jeeps? I know this one you’re stock and it looks good. Like the red accents.
My first Jeep, the CJ 5 had bigger tires before I sold it. Long time ago, but I Offroad about 4 times a year and find that a stock Jeep with all terrain tires suits me best.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Nothing cool about a Hummer? My husband would disagree :blush:
Your husband needs help..kidding of course

The old Humvees, yes, maybe...but the newer all plastic looking things that they build extra large for no practical reason are useless and ugly.

Now, if your talking about the "tie your hair back at a red light and show your a husband a good time" hummer...then yes, total fist bump

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
I took my wife's Tahoe for a 3 day trip earlier this month.

When I got back we were both very ready to swap back.

The Tahoe was quieter, roomier, smoother, more solid on the highway, and had more power.

The Wrangler is just much more fun to drive.

The question I would ask is why you are leaning towards a Wrangler? Based on the answer to that you can decide whether it's really the right SUV for you.
...to look cool
Sponsored