Sponsored

Potential Newb Daily Driver Question/Concern

04Ram2500Hemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram Power Wagon, 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Hi everybody. My wife is looking at a new Sahara for her daily driver, and I was wondering what folks could offer for thoughts on the Sahara? We both like the idea of the Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System for the day to day drive come winter with snow and black ice. I drove the 4 Cyclinder a couple of months ago in a Rubicon and was pretty impressed.

A few questions come to mind:
-Realistic Fuel Economy Expectations
-How does the Wrangler handle on the highway (especially on a windy day)
-What are the pro’s and con’s a new owner should expect

I guess in short, we’re looking for current owners thoughts. I’ve watched/read multiple reviews, so I’ve got a good idea of what to expect as does my wife. I’d just like to see what others think.
Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Can't tell you Sahara specifically, I am of the Rubicon lineage.

I drive 34 miles/day, mix of highway, city and bumper to bumper traffic. My mpg avg is 19.4. definitely notice wind but I would say given the steering issues some (few) have had I would say overall my steering is great, very responsive. My reference is my wife's Tahoe which feels like driving a limo and a boat at the same time when compared to my JLUR. The Tahoe does steer stick straight and is seemingly immune to strong gusts even driving on 84 through the Columbia River gorge. The JL gets whipped around out there to where I can't let go of the wheel at 70mph to point fingers at my kids in the back seat.
However, it has been proven by multiple randomized controlled trials that I look significantly more badass driving my Jeep than driving the Tahoe...

GGguy77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
2.0 Turbo Sahara here in Georgia. 22mpg at just under 10k of driving. On windy days you do feel it a bit.

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
If you can, rent one for a day somewhere. I don't have mine (yet) either, we rented one in Moab for a week and I'm sold, just not yet ready to drop the coin and don't really need an other car until my son has his license and some reason to drive somewhere while I need a car too. We rented a sport with - I believe - the mopar 2inch lift and larger tires and I loved it, on road (not that I'd have gone 80 but it - cough - could have) and especially off road. I drive a 16 year old Tacoma off road, felt pretty similar, but totally different from my wife's VW. I call it bouncy fun :) Not a fan of the VW.
Fuel economy is meh, I don't know what kind of wind you get in Montana, but it's a big brick on wheels, so not like a Subaru or other 4wd sedan/station wagon.
Pros - to me? I've never had this much fun in a car. We had a hard top with the Bestop sunrider roof that folds back in seconds, car fit my 6'3'' like a glove, but very different from a "regular" car like our VW Jetta station wagon or the Passat we had before. But not that different from my Tacoma.
Cons - well, it likes gas, but I don't have to drive much day to day so don't care. And it likes add ons and accessories that eat a hole in your wallet. But the fun is gonna be worth it to me :)

A regular 30 min test drive would have not convinced me, a week on and off road sold me. That being said, my wife prefers her VW, more "direct and on tracks" if you will.

Rent one or if some friends have one see if you can borrow it for a couple hours and drive where you normally drive. And open the roof while doing so if weather allows :)

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Hi everybody. My wife is looking at a new Sahara for her daily driver, and I was wondering what folks could offer for thoughts on the Sahara? We both like the idea of the Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System for the day to day drive come winter with snow and black ice. I drove the 4 Cyclinder a couple of months ago in a Rubicon and was pretty impressed.

I guess in short, we’re looking for current owners thoughts. I’ve watched/read multiple reviews, so I’ve got a good idea of what to expect as does my wife. I’d just like to see what others think.
If you honestly need the answers to those questions...dont buy a Jeep.

Owning a Jeep Wrangler is a lifestyle not a calculated decision.

Go buy a G-Wagon or if you really wanna look cool get a Hummer

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

^ This

2dr 6sp Rubicon PST DD. I commute 1+ (stop and go) hours each way. Love every second. Understand that 99% of people I’m sharing the road with would be miserable. It’s a lifestyle for sure, and one I wouldn’t trade.

18 MPG

Last edited:

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I drive a 2019 JLUR 120mi every day (all highway)
It is certainly noisier than a normal SUV (although surprisingly not from the AT tires) Winds do tend to blow it around a bit (it is a shapeless brick). Fuel mileage isn't any better than 20-21 mpg (2.0L turbo) at 70+mph. The seating is very comfy and the 8.4" Alpine system is awesome! Even with the additional wind noise, you can still use the phone or have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat without raising your voice. All said, it's the coolest commuter I've ever had and wouldn't trade it for the world. Hope this helps..

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
They handle like a Jeep. Turn on a dime so parking is great. That same turning on a windy day moves you all over the road.

It’s my 4th Jeep. I’ve had maybe 30 vehicles and a few motorcycles. It’s the most fun I’ve had to drive. But not the fastest, slowest, smoothest, bumpiest, worst or best handling.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue

Like several pointed out. It’s a lifestyle! Sounds silly, but it is!!! I have had two 2-door Rubicon’s in the past, a 2002 and a 2012. Both manual transmissions. My next one, 2019 or 2020, will be an unlimited (4-dr) Rubicon with the new automatic transmission. I have owned about 30 vehicles. The Wrangler is one of the most fun vehicles available. But, does it fit YOU and YOUR lifestyle? Also, beware... The Wrangler is THE MOST accessorizable vehicle on the planet. Own one and you quickly see that “JEEP” is an acronym. It stands for:
J-ust
E-mpty
E-very
P-ocket

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Honestly, if those are the things that are concerning you, I wouldn’t buy a wrangler. My wife loves my JL but there is no way she would want it for a daily. She’s got a brand new Grand Cherokee that does all the things you questioned way better than a wrangler.

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

^This. Except for the Hummer part, nothing cool about a Hummer. Maybe: look "like a" Tool?

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
^This. Except for the Hummer part, nothing cool about a Hummer. Maybe: look like "a" Tool?
I couldn't have been more sarcastic with the Hummer comment.

People love the look of Jeeps and think its cool.

Minivan owners buy them trying to be "cool" and you end up with....well, browse through this forum and you will see exactly what I mean.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I couldn't have been more sarcastic with the Hummer comment.

People love the look of Jeeps and think its cool.

Minivan owners buy them trying to be "cool" and you end up with....well, browse through this forum and you will see exactly what I mean.
I traded in a minivan for a Wrangler. What are you trying to say?

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Fuel economy is all how you drive - if your drive normal you can get around 18-19 easy

Wind factor on heavy wind days you can feel your Jeep getting pushed around but after a couple months you learn to handle it better if this is your first Jeep

Pros - Sarah is more of the luxury Jeep so it will be a little more comfortable of a drive - topless - all around great vehicle for year round driving - Jeep wave - most friendly group of owners I have ever met all willing to help - and more

Cons - loudness can be annoying at certain points especially if this is your first wrangler (if you have a headache) - if you want to add mods to your Jeep it can get expensive - not many others I can think of right now but cons are more opinion based.

All in all wrangler is reliable fun and enjoyable I don’t think you will be disappointed at all
Sponsored