Sponsored

Possible battery upgrade?

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Been wanting a PHEV for a while and now that I am a wrangler for life, hey would you look at that, 4XE!

however, to me, the 21 miles is way too low to consider switching. I drive 46 miles round trip a day for work, mostly Highway and can’t charge at work, doesn’t seem worth it

but how possible is it they will upgrade the battery or you would be able to DIY a battery upgrade yourself?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I would assume a few years before a substantial upgrade.

Doubtful on the DIY being attainable for a weekend warrior, beyond the battery cost/size/location/weight, the think is cooled, heated, computer controlled...

Hawk66

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
I own a 4XE. I drive 52 miles round trip 4 days a week. The rest is local for the most part. One way to work is almost full electric. I fill the gas tank about every ten days.

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
I don't see how any upgrades would be available in the near future. Too soon in my opinion. I'm sure Jeep won't have any issue selling the current configuration for a year or two or until a true Wrangle EV hits the market.

As far as your comment on the "21 miles", this model was never designed to compete with EV's. In its current form, it's satisfying to a lot of people. Critics are casting unrealistic expectation on the 4XE. Most of the criticism is coming from current Wrangle drivers which I find interesting. I smile at the negative comments in regard to the additional weight from the batteries. My 4XE Rubicon can wheel about anywhere. I mountain bike and on those forums there are weight weenies complaining about new bikes they don't own or have ridden because of 10% more weight.. A lot of people our anxious to criticize things they don't have.

Common sense says Jeep already has a EV Wrangle on the drawing boards.

For me, a total EV would not work. I take 800 mile trips often, EV charging would be a nightmare or near impossible (Texas to Colorado). I do like the total electric mode around town but I gravitated to the entire package which includes HP and Torque that surpasses past and current Wrangler offerings (except for the Hemi model).

I wish more of the naysayers could have sufficient time behind the wheel of a 4XE. I think a majority of them would be impressed.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
I am interested to see if Jeep has a battery upgrade plan in mind. We have a small pool of Nissan Leafs within our office fleet. One major issue we've seen with these is the loss of charging capacity. This is a well documented issue among Leaf owners, and big reason to avoid buying EVs used. While the 4xe's 20-25 all electric miles is fine for most folks daily needs, what happens when this number starts to hover around 15-10?

Generationally, there will be a switch from Lithium-ion batteries to solid state ones within the next ten years or so. That would be a good point to offer a battery swap / retrofit.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gyz3/electric-vehicle-used-car-battery-health-nissan-leaf
https://futurism.com/the-byte/huge-problem-electric-vehicles

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I am interested to see if Jeep has a battery upgrade plan in mind. We have a small pool of Nissan Leafs within our office fleet. One major issue we've seen with these is the loss of charging capacity. This is a well documented issue among Leaf owners, and big reason to avoid buying EVs used. While the 4xe's 20-25 all electric miles is fine for most folks daily needs, what happens when this number starts to hover around 15-10?

Generationally, there will be a switch from Lithium-ion batteries to solid state ones within the next ten years or so. That would be a good point to offer a battery swap / retrofit.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gyz3/electric-vehicle-used-car-battery-health-nissan-leaf
I agree that used Nissan Leafs are to be avoided. Other used EVs can be a very wise purchase. Many are liquid cooled and those battery packs can still have most all of its original capacity after many years of service. My Focus Electric was 4 years old when I sold it and it's battery still had 100% of the original usable capacity available.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe

While the 4xe’s battery will degrade over time, it won’t be anywhere near as fast as the Leaf simply because the Leaf is passively climate controlled, which is terrible for the battery. Active climate controlled batteries last a lot longer. Tesla says 80% after 200,000 miles, for example. The charge controller also has a lot to do with it, of course, so it remains to be seen how good FCA’s charge controller is.

I doubt we’ll get battery upgrades/retrofits for 2021-era cars, ever, at least not from the manufacturer. Too little profit in that compared to people buying new cars. Aftermarket will have something, most likely, if the 4xe is as popular is they say and sustains that level of popularity.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
If something like solid state batteries hit the JL platform at some future point it may be possible. A PHEV with SS could get some crazy range. I just think it may require software and other electronic upgrades as well.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
For me, a total EV would not work. I take 800 mile trips often, EV charging would be a nightmare or near impossible (Texas to Colorado). I do like the total electric mode around town but I gravitated to the entire package which includes HP and Torque that surpasses past and current Wrangler offerings (except for the Hemi model).
Ditto to what CodyDog said. Mine has not been delivered yet but I have the same thought process. We looked at Model X and Y but we also trailer things, so full EV would be a horrible time/distance ratio presently. You'll just about cut your fuel use in half commuting, IMHO, and have some serious fun power on tap, too.
Sponsored