Sponsored

Future Battery Upgrade?

timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe JLU, 2020 Sahara JLU (sold)
I have been looking at all the Battery technology advancements recently for electric cars. Does anyone think there would be a possible Battery upgrade in a few years considering is seems it would be much easier to replace the 4xe Battery pack compared to something like a tesla?
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I have been looking at all the Battery technology advancements recently for electric cars. Does anyone think there would be a possible Battery upgrade in a few years considering is seems it would be much easier to replace the 4xe Battery pack compared to something like a tesla?
there is not a battery alive or electric vehicle going to be worth a dam after an emp.

OP
OP
timuh60

timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now we are past that silliness, any real thoughts?

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I think it’s going to be much more than “a few” years before that effort is worth it.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
there is not a battery alive or electric vehicle going to be worth a dam after an emp.
Unless you’re driving a 1966 vintage vehicle with a distributor and no computer an EMP will fry the electronics on gas and electric cars alike.

Back to the OP’s question. I hope battery density improves and costs go down in the next few years. That said, assuming battery costs drop from current rates of $200 per kw to $100 per kw and assuming any additional weight could be accommodated, doubling the current capacity would only get you 25 miles further at a cost of $5,000 for the new battery. I don’t see the math working except on new models.

BTA

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru legacy
I think it’s going to be much more than “a few” years before that effort is worth it.

This is the big issue... if you drive it till the battery dies, i think there is a real possibility you may be able to replace it with something that ends up with double to triple the range. but I highly doubt that it will be cost effective to upgrade just because there are better batteries on the market and if you bought the 4xe to be more "green", that kind of throws eco friendly out the window. no judgement either way, just an observation.

planning to keep mine till it dies, so I'm hopeful we'll see something impressive by the time the battery goes.

OP
OP
timuh60

timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the big issue... if you drive it till the battery dies, i think there is a real possibility you may be able to replace it with something that ends up with double to triple the range. but I highly doubt that it will be cost effective to upgrade just because there are better batteries on the market and if you bought the 4xe to be more "green", that kind of throws eco friendly out the window. no judgement either way, just an observation.

planning to keep mine till it dies, so I'm hopeful we'll see something impressive by the time the battery goes.
I definately didn't order my 4xe to be more green. I sold my 2020 Sahara to get the 4xe for the additional power (and I really like advancements in technology). The battery advancement is more of a bonus than a primary reason but who doesn't like bonuses?

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I had a 1932 BSA Blue Star motorcycle, with Magneto. That would still run after the EMP!

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I have no doubt that the aftermarket will eventually produce replacement batteries with more power/range. It just probably won't make financial sense in the immediate future for most people

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
While I agree that the aftermarket folks will be able to produce a better battery, there is a bigger obstacle. They won't just be plug-n-play like with your consumer electronics.

Remember that the entire software side of the 4xe controls how much of the charge is retained, how fast it is allowed to be consumed, etc. The software controls when the 2.0L ICE starts and stops, and when the system uses the electric mode. In order to make a larger battery work, the third parties would have to reverse engineer FCA's computer programming, and replicate it. There will be lawsuits from FCA the first time this happens.

Right now all the automakers are running on tight margins and they will do everything they can to protect their marketshare. Allowing third party software to be flashed into the Jeep would harm sales, warranty coverage, and potentially expose them to large legal claims (when the first 10 Jeeps burst into flames during the rush-hour commute due to over-taxed cells).

Sorry to be Debbie-downer on this notion. Just trying to be realistic. This isn't like buying a bigger battery for your Milwaukee/Dewalt/Ryobi powertool.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
To add onto my last post. . .

I'm certain that Jeep is fully aware of this limitation. I suspect that they know the expected lifespan of this model in the marketplace. It will get replaced with a 'bigger and better' model. Jeep will entice all of us to trade up to the newer model in a couple of years. They come out ahead by getting us to buy/lease new models. They don't profit by having their engineers rewrite software for a three-year-old model just because somebody wants an aftermarket battery. The only software upgrades that I'd expect would be for recalls or safety issues.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Even if a bigger/more efficient battery became an option, what about the charging limitations? I'm no expert on this but I assume that the charging speed would remain the same?
Sponsored