Sponsored

Pod lights - difference between cheaper ones vs more expensive ones?

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
I want to put a set of pod lights on each side of the Jeep. I was wondering what ones you guy’s and gals are using. Is there a difference between cheaper ones vs more expensive one’s like the Kc’s ? Let me know what you are running and how you like they. Thank you
Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
As someone who has tried both ends of the spectrum, I can tell you there is absolutely a difference. In my opinion, lighting is an area in which you get what you pay for.

I'm a @Baja Designs fan. For small pods (a-pillar mounted) I use Squadrons with wide cornering lenses to light up the edges of the road, ditches, fence lines, etc. I highly recommend them.

TomPfender

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
As someone who has tried both ends of the spectrum, I can tell you there is absolutely a difference. In my opinion, lighting is an area in which you get what you pay for.

I'm a @Baja Designs fan. For small pods (a-pillar mounted) I use Squadrons with wide cornering lenses to light up the edges of the road, ditches, fence lines, etc. I highly recommend them.
I’m in process of the same setup as you. Amber wide cornering and white spots from Baja Designs for the long throw. Going to try this setup before evaluating whether I will need bumper mounted lights out front. Using the squadron sports.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
I’m in process of the same setup as you. Amber wide cornering and white spots from Baja Designs for the long throw. Going to try this setup before evaluating whether I will need bumper mounted lights out front. Using the squadron sports.
The wide cornering lights are AWESOME. I use them with XL80s on the bumper, all im amber. It can get pretty dusty where I wheel, especially with more than one Jeep (and if I'm not taking point). The amber helps cut down on glare.

When I want distance (to avoid hitting deer, coyotes, or a pack of wild mules - no kidding) I use a 40" S8 light bar with all spot beams.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pod lights -  difference between cheaper ones vs more expensive ones? 20210201_162514

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm running rigid DSS lights, they seem to give me decent lighting to the side (not as amazing as dedicated lights angled sideways, but they work very well. I have each set hooked up to a different aux switch (one set is spot, the other set is flood).

yditchb-jpg.jpg

ajbq5kc-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
The wide cornering lights are AWESOME. I use them with XL80s on the bumper, all im amber. It can get pretty dusty where I wheel, especially with more than one Jeep (and if I'm not taking point). The amber helps cut down on glare.

When I want distance (to avoid hitting deer, coyotes, or a pack of wild mules - no kidding) I use a 40" S8 light bar with all spot beams.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pod lights -  difference between cheaper ones vs more expensive ones? ajbq5kc-
Ok there has to be a story here....

what’s up with the 3 different color grill sections.

looks nice.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
Ok there has to be a story here....

what’s up with the 3 different color grill sections.

looks nice.
War paint - lol. That was a plastidip test run. That grill is getting replaced as soon as the ice melts off the Jeep. Stripes are red, white, & blue on the new version.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
currently i have the rough country cube mounted on the a pillar. they are 2880 lumens 30* spot. they are good in lighting up whats in front of you. i'm planning on putting those on the rear bumper since it has a cutout for the rear lights. i'm going to put on baja design (clear) squadron sport driving combo. in addition i'm putting on a pair of squadron sport (amber) driving combo on the front bumper. both has a 8* spot and 42* flood pattern. 3150 lumen. this should be good enough for me.
Sponsored