Sponsored

Please Check my Winch Wiring Path

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Why the interrupter? How much current draw is there from the winch just sitting there?

I don’t want to use one of my four precious AUX switches to turn my winch on and off, when I expect to rarely use my winch.

I also have a Warn EVO 10S and ran the wiring the same way. There was enough wiring to go around the air box not over it to get to the battery posts.
There really isnt a need for one and most people do not have one and are fine. When the winch is no running there is no current draw, minus slight draw if you have a wireless remote that does not have a switch for the winch side receiver, but that draw will be very small over all and your jeep will have no problem living with it. Those that install one its more as a peace of mind thing than anything else.
Sponsored

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Thanks for all of these tips on the cable route. It was exactly the info I was looking for. I assume you have finished this project but I thought I would contribute my $.02.

The winch can draw 3-500 amp at full load. Since the power line is not fused it is a very good safety step to have a cutoff switch or relay (interrupter) in the circuit. The winch cables can handle the entire load but if they short out, it could cause your battery to catch fire, or worse. Personally, I would not put in a winch without some sort of cutoff.

When I installed the winch in my 04 Rubi (RIP) many years ago I had a relay and quick disconnects which also came in handy for heavy duty jumper cables.

On the issue of wrapping the positive cable, I ran it through heater hose. It wasn't easy and made routing the cable more difficult but I never worried about the insulation on the cable rubbing through. It was probably overkill and I think I will use split loom this time. It is important to secure the cables pretty well so that they are not rubbing on any metal.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The wires through the fender channel with a metal hanger is a must! I also unbolted the air filter and ran the wires under there.

D6992397-656F-4541-920E-EDC7AB8E1578.jpeg

561D59E7-3F41-4110-9236-C6FC0A1FF1B7.jpeg

B31178C9-FC21-4482-82D7-36F7482783BF.jpeg

1DA5BBBA-9086-41CA-B990-E53CEFA985A3.jpeg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'd consider a Blue Sea terminal mounted fuse right at the battery for the main supply line. You can get them up to 300A and they are relatively slow blow so can handle some spikes above that when winch in use. But if the cable shorts somehow it will blow and protect you from a direct battery short.

Then from that into the interrupter and the rest of the install as you have it.
Sponsored