Pay for Alignment or No?

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
For my 2.0 JLU Sport S with Rubi suspension and almost 41k miles. I have my tires changed out at NTB and it came with a free alignment inspection. They gave me the results, looks like the toe-in is off. I can get an alignment done for $60 but is it worth it or just adjust it myself? Trying to understand what I'm reading in degree and toe and how that translates to how much adjustment I need.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pay for Alignment or No? IMG_0729
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a site to convert toe measurement from degrees to total toe in inches. Since you already have your toe specs in degrees, you just need to get your actual tire diameter.

https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeDegreesToInches.htm

For JL's (or JK's, TJ's, etc), most people find 1/4" to 1/32" Total Toe In to be best. I set my own alignment and like 1/8" total toe in.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to do your own alignment, it is actually very easy. You'll just need less then $20 in parts (assuming you already have two good measuring tapes) and then can do your own alignments (Toe setting only) anytime you want.

I learned years ago by following the directions in the attached (page 6) Off Road Only U-Turn Steering System install instructions. After adjusting your toe settings, it may be necessary to re-center your steering wheel, which is done at the drag link adjuster. If you do your own and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Attachments

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
For my 2.0 JLU Sport S with Rubi suspension and almost 41k miles. I have my tires changed out at NTB and it came with a free alignment inspection. They gave me the results, looks like the toe-in is off. I can get an alignment done for $60 but is it worth it or just adjust it myself? Trying to understand what I'm reading in degree and toe and how that translates to how much adjustment I need.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pay for Alignment or No? IMG_0729
Your numbers look great! The toe is misleading. What you want is total toe. For you, your total toe is .24° which is just fine. What they’re showing you would be applicable to a vehicle with IFS and each side toe is needing correction. On the jeeps they could’ve bumped the tire with their hands and gotten it within spec. It’s a balancing act to get it green without doing anything but that doesn’t mean that’s it’s out of that makes sense.

What did you use for caster correction, your caster looks great!

Brett

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Thanks @limeade. I've been watching WAL on YT and some others for how to check toe. I'll likely measure it out to see where I'm at plus to build experience on how to do it. I've seen the process done with two levels, others with string, marking the tire mid-line, etc...

@rustyshakelford Sweet, good to hear. For caster I have the 2" Mopar lift LCAs installed. Part # is 68322798AA, need two. Somewhat easy swap just getting the leverage to torque to spec takes some creativity if your Jeep isn't high enough in the air.
Sponsored