Sponsored

Panel-Hardtop Theory

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Ape, YTMND !
I truly love any and all detail-intensive answers.
And by God, that was one.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I'm so convinced I'm right on this. If you look at the last image, you can see the rear panel is not connected to the hard top's C pillar.

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I hope you're right - but I think Jeep just ran the rain channel/gutter down from the back door over the side window. For looks or for roof rack mounting. This picture has the camo wrap just going over the rain gutter and onto the side window:
2018-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-wheels-1024x685.jpg

Maybe the person applying the wrap was lazy that day. But on others someone used the exacto knife and cut the wrap better?

2018-jeepwrangler-rubicon-2-jpg.jpg

Functional or not, the gutter extension will look better in my opinion. Like the Africa concept look:

1-Jeep-Wrangler-Africa-Concept-Easter-Safari-Moab-3-31-15.jpg

Hard to see in this - but I can't see anything like a release for the side windows. But you can only see a sliver of the interior of the hardtop anyway.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-exposed-grille4-jpg.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Another wrap right over the top of the side window to the roof again.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rear-.jpg

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Another wrap right over the top of the side window to the roof again.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rear-.jpg
Which could mean that this Jeep wasn't meant to be tested with the roof off. But yes I do agree that even if the full length rain gutter isn't functional, it sure looks a lot better and cohesive running the full length of the top. Similar to the body line that doesn't awkwardly end at the door anymore like it did on the JK.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Which could mean that this Jeep wasn't meant to be tested with the roof off. But yes I do agree that even if the full length rain gutter isn't functional, it sure looks a lot better and cohesive running the full length of the top. Similar to the body line that doesn't awkwardly end at the door anymore like it did on the JK.
I'm not the first one to say it, but the rain gutter will be great for roof racks.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I'm not the first one to say it, but the rain gutter will be great for roof racks.
Agreed I miss the days of rain gutters for attaching things, assuming the gutters will be strong enough.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Was thinking today what it would take for Jeep to make the rear door have power glass that retracts into the tailgate. Would make driving with the hard top on and all the windows open that much better. Also, glass rear window with the soft top would be nice. I know the JK tailgate is shorter than the hard top glass. But if the tailgate was as tall as the bottom of the side quarter windows it could work.

But it would look odd with the hard top off and the taller tailgate than the rest of the tub.

Would be more convenient.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Was thinking today what it would take for Jeep to make the rear door have power glass that retracts into the tailgate. Would make driving with the hard top on and all the windows open that much better. Also, glass rear window with the soft top would be nice. I know the JK tailgate is shorter than the hard top glass. But if the tailgate was as tall as the bottom of the side quarter windows it could work.

But it would look odd with the hard top off and the taller tailgate than the rest of the tub.

Would be more convenient.
This would be difficult with glass that is in no way attached to the door.
I think Jeep would make removable rear glass, or flippable/foldable onto the roof (as it has been rumored a year or so ago) before they ever consider making it retractable into the rear door.

Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2014 GC Limited with a Hemi
I remember my parents 1970 Chevy Townsman station wagon with electric retractable window in the back tail gate. That was one heavy very thick tailgate, but could either swing open or swing down. Interesting idea for a Jeep, but I think too bulky.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I remember my parents 1970 Chevy Townsman station wagon with electric retractable window in the back tail gate. That was one heavy very thick tailgate, but could either swing open or swing down. Interesting idea for a Jeep, but I think too bulky.
Yeah for sure. But having it down would be blissful with the hard top on. Not to mention having a glass rear window with a soft top would be a nice thing too (wiper and defrost). I know the wiper is on the bottom of the back glass now. If it nests onto the tailgate and the motor and housing are on the tailgate too - the glass will be shorter and the tailgate taller.

Heavy for sure but it's not a Chevy Nomad 12' wide rear door. Wranglers are narrow to start plus they have external hinges which could be engineered to handle the added weight.

Soft top would be that much less bulky to fold. Hard top (with side panels removed) would be super light at that point (no glass) to remove.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The BestTop brand has a soft top called the "TrekTop Pro " that's a hybrid of hard and soft tops.
Twill fabric, with removable , sliding glass side windows, rear glass hinged at top, removable as well. It has a kind of exoskeleton, not structural , It's available now for the JK, and will figure in as a JL soft top offering. Makes sense, Best Top is OEM manufacturer for Jeep Wrangler's soft tops. It has optional rear wiper, the front flips back like a Sunrider, and it comes in COLORS!
If you look it up, gives a good idea of "hybrid" tops that will be available for the JL

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Heavy for sure but it's not a Chevy Nomad 12' wide rear door. Wranglers are narrow to start plus they have external hinges which could be engineered to handle the added weight.
'Handle' it or keep it immobile? Because the rear spare weight and the weight of the door itself along with 25+lbs of glass with the raise/lower mechanism and wiper motor are now a giant hunk that will torque like crazy when off-roading, and now you want to insert a piece of brittle glass in there? :movember:
Sponsored