Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I never heard of "overlanding" before these forums. We just called it camping.
I think it might be an interesting discussion about what, if anything, people think the differences are between camping, RV'ing, and Overlanding.

Deleted member 59498

Yeah, a tent a sleeping bag and most importantly good food! That is all it is about to me is good food and friends!

Deleted member 59498

Yeah I guess I am just practical, overland = young man fun with tent and unfriendly jeep sleeping, RV = retired dude enjoying the life, camping = guess I am not sure, tent and sleeping bag.

Tent on the ground I am hunting. Still need some comforts like memory foam roll out!

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

1. I have a 2020 Rubicon w/iKamper RTT, 270 degree Batwing awning, a refrigerator, drawers for utensils and a burner, tailgate table, toilet and privacy tent and you can see for yourself how the Jeep is configured.

JEEP-15.jpg

JEEP-23.jpg

2. If we're traveling and stop for the night to camp and then move on in the morning this setup is great. I would still like to figure out how to include a hot shower. But the downside, like it is for everyone, if I want to stay in one location and explore then you have to breakdown camp and as a photographer that happens a lot. This has not been a deal breaker but this is where the appeal for an expedition trailer comes in.

3. I think my desire to build a trailer is a result of two things a) we really enjoy doing this and it hasn't taken long to sort out what we need vs what we don't. And b), because of that I think by adding additional creature comforts; hot shower, better energy - solar and a generator, better kitchen setup I'm confident this will provide a more active lifestyle while at the same time be able to accomodate my passion for photography.

4. Probably the Jeep itself. We have an F150 with a shell that we could "camp" out of if I didn't want the hassle, of which in CA there is a lot, of taking our 25' ROO trailer. It really provides the freedom with a lot less anxiety to go just about anywhere more cost effectively. I also have a Ford Transit 148 with a medium roof that I will probably convert.

5. I travel a lot. I think Overlanding provides way more opportunity than camping in the wilderness. The mobility it provides makes producing images, videos and stories easier in all settings. Yep, you guessed it, another video...

We've been all over the Western US and hope to travel to the remaining parts as well. I'd also like to ship the rig to New Zealand and spend a year there.

6 & 7, Sleeping is in a SkyKamp 2.0 and currently using a Coleman but thinking about getting a Jetboil.

8. I just want to continue to document and share the how amazing this country is. Far too much attention is being paid on the negative. I love traveling, meeting people and exploring new places with a camera in hand.

9. I'm not sure. It's not just about the kit, it's more about the community. I'm sure the community aspect will sort itself out while discussing the stuff.

10. I have been trying to use Gaila GPS, and a few online sites. I'm kind of flailing at the whole navigation thing.

It's been a while since I've had such a homework assignment, kind of fun. I appreciate you taking the time to to ask these question.
1. I have a 2020 Rubicon w/iKamper RTT, 270 degree Batwing awning, a refrigerator, drawers for utensils and a burner, tailgate table, toilet and privacy tent and you can see for yourself how the Jeep is configured.

jeep-15-jpg.jpg

jeep-23-jpg.jpg

Beautiful rig! That awning looks awesome. What are your thoughts and feelings on RTT life? It seems polarizing. I still don't know where I fall on the spectrum.

2. If we're traveling and stop for the night to camp and then move on in the morning this setup is great. I would still like to figure out how to include a hot shower. But the downside, like it is for everyone, if I want to stay in one location and explore then you have to breakdown camp and as a photographer that happens a lot. This has not been a deal breaker but this is where the appeal for an expedition trailer comes in.

I recently added a WaterPORT on TrailRax PakRax. With the WaterPORT being made of black plastic and mounted on the outside of the vehicle it manages to soak up a bit of solar energy and heats the water up enough that we took a decent bush shower in ~55* weather. I've heard of folks adding a bit of hot water to the WP to make a decent hot shower as well. The TrailRax also work as a great mount for Rotopax. I noticed it looks like you have a red one under your fridge, it may work to get the gas out of the rig and mounted outside, making use of unused space on your rig.

3. I think my desire to build a trailer is a result of two things a) we really enjoy doing this and it hasn't taken long to sort out what we need vs what we don't. And b), because of that I think by adding additional creature comforts; hot shower, better energy - solar and a generator, better kitchen setup I'm confident this will provide a more active lifestyle while at the same time be able to accomodate my passion for photography.

Trailer life is well beyond my build plans at the moment. I can't speak much to this, however, I have added the Genesis Off-Road dual battery system to my rig for house power, primarily for my Dometic CFX3 45. So far it's done very well keeping our electrical system charged and provided plenty of extra power without the need for a solar setup or secondary Jackery style battery. It runs for weeks at a time with minimal driving to charge the batteries. And it makes room for the extra battery seemingly by magic.

4. Probably the Jeep itself. We have an F150 with a shell that we could "camp" out of if I didn't want the hassle, of which in CA there is a lot, of taking our 25' ROO trailer. It really provides the freedom with a lot less anxiety to go just about anywhere more cost effectively. I also have a Ford Transit 148 with a medium roof that I will probably convert.

Does everyone with a Wrangler have an F-150 for tuck duty? :LOL: I love my Jeep too, it's definitely a wonderful tool.

5. I travel a lot. I think Overlanding provides way more opportunity than camping in the wilderness. The mobility it provides makes producing images, videos and stories easier in all settings. Yep, you guessed it, another video...

What's your favorite? I keep being drawn back to the west. Utah is magical

We've been all over the Western US and hope to travel to the remaining parts as well. I'd also like to ship the rig to New Zealand and spend a year there.

That would be an epic trip!

6 & 7, Sleeping is in a SkyKamp 2.0 and currently using a Coleman but thinking about getting a Jetboil.

As someone who has a weird addiction to cooking setups. I rather like an old fashioned Coleman if you've got the room. Little Isobutane stoves (like the jet boil) are great for coffee and freeze dried meals. I usually carry an MSR pocket rocket as it's super small and does a great job of warming up water when needed.

8. I just want to continue to document and share the how amazing this country is. Far too much attention is being paid on the negative. I love traveling, meeting people and exploring new places with a camera in hand.

100% this. I cannot express how good it feels to get out of cell reception, deep into the backwoods. No social media, no 24 hr news, no politics, no BS. Just you and your family, exploring this amazing country. We truly are blessed with an amazingly geologically diverse country to explore. This is the reason I continue exploring.

9. I'm not sure. It's not just about the kit, it's more about the community. I'm sure the community aspect will sort itself out while discussing the stuff.

GEEAAARRR!

I love the community as well, but, I do love some gear. I don't know why but I've been facinated since I was a kid with efficient and unique gear. Backpacking gear that is engineered to perfection, ultra light materials and the almost origami style folding kits. I just love it!

Mostly asking about gear because it's easy to
discuss here. It's a common ground that gets the ball rolling. But yes, the community is great (for the most part), and I'm always happy to meet others out in the back country.

10. I have been trying to use Gaila GPS, and a few online sites. I'm kind of flailing at the whole navigation thing.

It's one of my weak points as well. I use Gaia, but I'm not capable of using it at capacity. I typically start with TrailsOffRoad.com and import tracks to Gaia. It works well enough, but I think I'm going to try onX on my next outing.

It's been a while since I've had such a homework assignment, kind of fun. I appreciate you taking the time to to ask these question.

đź‘Ť Absolutely! Keep us updated with photos of your adventures!

OP
OP
Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I think the definition of these activities is different depending on how you plan to use it and at what stage of life your in.

I think overlanding is about traveling "over land" in your vehicle.

Camping is about reaching a destination and then staying in that place for some given amount of time.

If having to tear down your "camp" to explore frustrates you, you're camping, not overlanding. The point of overlanding is exploring, not staying in one place.

The best overland vehicles allow you to travel wherever you want to "go", while providing you the opportunity to remain off the grid. I think most overland vehicles I see are vehicles that allow you to camp, more than travel, as the complexity of the vehicle grows there is less desire to tear down camp.
For me Overlanding is about exploring both the journey, getting to a location and often finding myself in a location I didn't even know existed, and exploring the location. When we take our trailer I just want to get there, the less time spent enroute the better. Technically I'm camping in both examples.

Tearing down camp does not frustrate me. The best time to shoot is early morning and late afternoon. Depending on the time of year from about 9AM to 4:30PM the light is flat and contrasty so I'll explore other locations for the afternoon shoot, edit pictures or video on my laptop, fix some lunch, take a nap or whatever fun thing I want to do to past the time.

I agree, a good overland vehicle allows you to travel wherever you want to go, the best overland vehicles also supports whatever your camping needs are when you get there. This is not mutually exclusive. I imagine the vehicles that you mentioned that are geared more for camping than travel might simply be that way based on the perspective of the builder/owner. Maybe they grew up camping but as their life situation changed they become more interested in the mobility.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think these "lifestyles" are defined by the equipment.

Is this an Overlander or an RV?
Homepage-slidey-Mobile-2-1024x1024.jpg

100% this. I cannot express how good it feels to get out of cell reception, deep into the backwoods. No social media, no 24 hr news, no politics, no BS. Just you and your family, exploring this amazing country. We truly are blessed with an amazingly geologically diverse country to explore. This is the reason I continue exploring.
I find this topic intriguing. Overlanding has a bit of a stigma with people who 4 wheel, campers and RV'rs. The perception is that the "Overland" lifestyle originated in Australia. I'm Australian, even though I don't know what the term has come to mean here in the States I understand the perception. However, keep in mind that "We'll put another shrimp on the barbie" was never a thing in Australia...

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/...-the-phrase-put-another-shrimp-on-the-barbie/

I learned that overlanding was a thing from my niece. We're close and one of the rules she had to follow if she wanted to hangout with me was no texting or social media. Me and her dad were watching football and she kept getting text from her boyfriend, she asked if she could answer. After about half an hour she put the phone down to tell us that she knew everything there was to know about this guy but she had no idea who he was. Shortly after that she drastically cut back on texting and social media. After she graduated college she dated this guy who lived in his van, I lived in my van in my early twenties, not to Overland but because I was broke, so I immediately thought this guy was a loser. Yes, I see the hypocrisy. He isn't and even though the relationship didn't last her desire to overland remained.

One day at lunch I asked her what the appeal to overland was, she told me that she didn't believe in my generations idea of the American dream. She wants to find herself, define here own path to success. But where's she going to go? Her generation doesn't have a seat at the political table, they're tired of the lies, the crime, being told what to do and how to live by people they no longer respect so staying in LA, Chicago, NY or wherever is pointless. I find it fascinating that for many of the same reasons I find the concept of overland appealing. Whatever illusions my wife and I may of had about retiring have been shattered. So although my niece and I might be coming to this from different ends of the spectrum hopefully we'll arrive at the same place.

Maybe Overland isn't a lifestyle, maybe it's more of a movement. It's our youngest generation yelling out of the window "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." That sentiment seems to have skipped a generation or two.

OP
OP
Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Here are some links to dirt lifestyles you tube channel were he's building an overland trailer from an inexpensive harbor freight trailer.

Thanks for the links. I like this guys presentation. Looking forward for the final video on the build.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Thanks for the links. I like this guys presentation. Looking forward for the final video on the build.
I follow him on YouTube and I really like his content. He fabricates some nice stuff.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Jeeps Homepage-slidey-Mobile-2-1024x1024

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland Jeeps Homepage-slidey-Mobile-2-1024x1024

Beautiful rig! That awning looks awesome. What are your thoughts and feelings on RTT life? It seems polarizing. I still don't know where I fall on the spectrum.

I recently added a WaterPORT on TrailRax PakRax. With the WaterPORT being made of black plastic and mounted on the outside of the vehicle it manages to soak up a bit of solar energy and heats the water up enough that we took a decent bush shower in ~55* weather. I've heard of folks adding a bit of hot water to the WP to make a decent hot shower as well. The TrailRax also work as a great mount for Rotopax. I noticed it looks like you have a red one under your fridge, it may work to get the gas out of the rig and mounted outside, making use of unused space on your rig.

Trailer life is well beyond my build plans at the moment. I can't speak much to this, however, I have added the Genesis Off-Road dual battery system to my rig for house power, primarily for my Dometic CFX3 45. So far it's done very well keeping our electrical system charged and provided plenty of extra power without the need for a solar setup or secondary Jackery style battery. It runs for weeks at a time with minimal driving to charge the batteries. And it makes room for the extra battery seemingly by magic.

Does everyone with a Wrangler have an F-150 for tuck duty? :LOL: I love my Jeep too, it's definitely a wonderful tool.

What's your favorite? I keep being drawn back to the west. Utah is magical

That would be an epic trip!

As someone who has a weird addiction to cooking setups. I rather like an old fashioned Coleman if you've got the room. Little Isobutane stoves (like the jet boil) are great for coffee and freeze dried meals. I usually carry an MSR pocket rocket as it's super small and does a great job of warming up water when needed.

GEEAAARRR!

I love the community as well, but, I do love some gear. I don't know why but I've been facinated since I was a kid with efficient and unique gear. Backpacking gear that is engineered to perfection, ultra light materials and the almost origami style folding kits. I just love it!

Mostly asking about gear because it's easy to
discuss here. It's a common ground that gets the ball rolling. But yes, the community is great (for the most part), and I'm always happy to meet others out in the back country.

It's one of my weak points as well. I use Gaia, but I'm not capable of using it at capacity. I typically start with TrailsOffRoad.com and import tracks to Gaia. It works well enough, but I think I'm going to try onX on my next outing.

đź‘Ť Absolutely! Keep us updated with photos of your adventures!
@Jeepeto Great feedback. Can you share a picture of the water port? Looking for a similar solution myself! Thanks.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Jeepeto Great feedback. Can you share a picture of the water port? Looking for a similar solution myself! Thanks.
I just swapped it out for extra fuel on my rig. We’re heading to Moab this month and freezing temps plus 12-13 mpg have pushed me to carry more gas and less water.

Here’s a link to their website. I have it mounted on TrailRax PakRax. Be sure to use some paint protection tape for the install to avoid rash. I’m glad I opted to purchase the protective tape before my racks arrived. But they’re solid and do a great job. I have my complaints about the WaterPORT, but overall it works as advertised. Just rattles a bit on the mount and I had an issue with the included hose. I did contact their customer service and they’re great and got me a replacement out ASAP. I have only had it for a couple weeks and only had it out for one trip. I must say, it’s very convenient.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I just swapped it out for extra fuel on my rig. We’re heading to Moab this month and freezing temps plus 12-13 mpg have pushed me to carry more gas and less water.

Here’s a link to their website. I have it mounted on TrailRax PakRax. Be sure to use some paint protection tape for the install to avoid rash. I’m glad I opted to purchase the protective tape before my racks arrived. But they’re solid and do a great job. I have my complaints about the WaterPORT, but overall it works as advertised. Just rattles a bit on the mount and I had an issue with the included hose. I did contact their customer service and they’re great and got me a replacement out ASAP. I have only had it for a couple weeks and only had it out for one trip. I must say, it’s very convenient.
Thank you sir!

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Your setup is great. It appealed to me when I first thought of more than a ground tent. I research too much, but that saved from me buying that setup. I've decided that for my use, and offroad capable (more than a dirt road, less than a rock gourge) trailer is perfect for my wants. I generally want a base camp. Park, and bedding is ready to crawl in with minimal setup. Rear galley suits me fine. Not as nice as my glamping tent, but I won't be setting up at dusk in a swarm of bugs either.

OP
OP
Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Your setup is great...
....I've decided that for my use, and off road capable (more than a dirt road, less than a rock gorge) trailer is perfect for my wants.
Thanks. Now the question is buy - if so what? Or build. In the videos Adv_aw8s shared the host made a great point about building based on an already registered chassis to avoid the certification process.

Anyway, if I were to build one of these I'd like to hear more peoples ideas of what they think should be included and what people like or dislike about the trailers they already have.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Thanks. Now the question is buy - if so what? Or build. In the videos Adv_aw8s shared the host made a great point about building based on an already registered chassis to avoid the certification process.

Anyway, if I were to build one of these I'd like to hear more peoples ideas of what they think should be included and what people like or dislike about the trailers they already have.

I live where it's not such a pain to register (MN). For me, I want interior space for a queen bed, and some minor storage shelves. I plan to mount a TV in case I get stuck in weather and don't feel like reading. Then I want an awning and a decent galley in the rear (big enough to add hot water heater if I desire, store batteries, etc.). My personal plan is to add a room off the awning that can go up if I want for standing room in worse weather, or where the outside shower and changing area can be as desired. Dealing with tiny spaces makes me think multiple uses must be considered.
Sponsored