vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a blast! We plan on doing this in a couple years.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We only had a day in Sedona, I wish we could have done more. Schnebly hill SUCKS, the views are amazing but the road SUCKS. Even aired down and disco'd it was a VERY annoying ride. Something like 12 miles of never ending bouncing with no technical obstacles at all. Were it not a badge trail I don't know that we would have done it.
Yeah, the only reason it is a BoH trail is because of the scenery, because it's definitely not difficult at all...and extremely bumpy and sometimes not really that fun, as you were saying. When it gets washed out with rain, it's even worse. The only bright side to that is it does keep people away from the top where the look out point is over the red rocks just before the gate that leads towards Flagstaff. When my wife and I have gone there in the past, we bring out camping chairs and lunch, hike up to where the Elvis tree is and have a nice picnic with an unbeatable view :)

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a blast! We plan on doing this in a couple years.
Go for it!!! Save your money now for gas... lol. We dropped a grand on gas alone.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the only reason it is a BoH trail is because of the scenery, because it's definitely not difficult at all...and extremely bumpy and sometimes not really that fun, as you were saying. When it gets washed out with rain, it's even worse. The only bright side to that is it does keep people away from the top where the look out point is over the red rocks just before the gate that leads towards Flagstaff. When my wife and I have gone there in the past, we bring out camping chairs and lunch, hike up to where the Elvis tree is and have a nice picnic with an unbeatable view :)
Cool. We went back a day later to the upper part of the road (off 70 I think) and camped for two days in solitude and beautiful weather.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Awesome trip, and great pics! Thanks for sharing.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Was the Jeep that tipped over on Hurricane/California Pass? We were there on Wednesday last week, and that Yellow Jeep was going up as we were going down back to Silverton. It’s awesome out there, we spent 8 days just around the San Juans.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Was the Jeep that tipped over on Hurricane/California Pass? We were there on Wednesday last week, and that Yellow Jeep was going up as we were going down back to Silverton. It’s awesome out there, we spent 8 days just around the San Juans.
I'm pretty sure it was one of those passes. That was on July 15th and I see the lake has grown since we were there. That yellow thing is actually an old Toyota that is built SICK, I was drooling over it.

Sponsored

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
@mgroeger , thank you for sharing! An incredible adventure with awesome pictures and great video…I could just about feel the tension when watching the Hell’s Revenge vids. The great takeaway, you and your wife are on the same page and are a great team!

I did chuckle when she prayed for help from baby Jesus…I’m a huge fan of prayer and praying often, but Ricky Bobby’s line popped into my head as soon as I heard that…classic!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger , thank you for sharing! An incredible adventure with awesome pictures and great video…I could just about feel the tension when watching the Hell’s Revenge vids. The great takeaway, you and your wife are on the same page and are a great team!

I did chuckle when she prayed for help from baby Jesus…I’m a huge fan of prayer and praying often, but Ricky Bobby’s line popped into my head as soon as I heard that…classic!
LOL! Yeah, no joke, I prayed at the beginning of each off roading session. It's very easy for things to go South on those trails. At the end of our Top of the World ride I was pretty tired and got sloppy by not watching my rear wheels and banged up the passenger rear shock. Just a reminder to myself to pay attention when out there.
Sadly two women died a few months back when their RZR rolled and then burst into flames :(

We're hitting Uwharie this weekend but it just won't be the same now that we've tasted slick rock :(

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, not as much snow up in the Telluride/Silverton area as I thought with 600% more snowfall than average. Looking at the photos, it appears by August, it's quite likely most of the regular passes will be accessible.

Great pics!
Thanks! You should see the destruction next to the roads and passes from the avalanches. They had four back to back 3' snow falls and this caused a ton of them. There was a 1 mile wide one at the avalanche shelter on 151 that closed the road for 42 days.
The power of those things is unreal, 12" trees laid over like toothpicks on the OPPOSITE side of the avalanche where it would hit a valley and then go up the other side with that much force.
We never went to Telluride because we couldn't get there from Imogene Pass and didn't want to waste time just driving there... we heard it was very snooty and soccer momish... lol.
Silverton was really cool with there dirt road main street.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like Poughkeepsie is still closed??
Yep and that trail is no joke. On the maps they hand out at the visitor center it literally says "Poughkeepsie Gulch is for expert 4X4 drivers only. Winch is strongly recommended."
Sponsored