mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi!

I just ordered my new jeep (yay!). I have some questions. Right now in my JK I'm using a dashcam. I ordered both the front and rear cameras. Is it possible to use them as my "dashcams"? It would be nice if it recorded directly to the radio (premium)... is there a way to use the factory cameras as a DVR?

Any recommendations on a tuner? I will have the 3.6L & Manual Transmission. I liked the Superchips in-line option but not sure if it was worth the $800. I'm probably staying mostly stock.

Bumpers - I plan on adding a winch and replacing the bumpers. But for the price of the new bumpers, is it easier to go with the factory steel bumpers?

Winch - I really like the upcoming Superwinch (https://www.quadratec.com/p/superwinch/sx-10000-series-winch-wired-remote-1710200 or https://www.quadratec.com/p/superwinch/sx-10000sr-series-winch-wireless-remote-1710201). Any opinions on Superwinch or other brands? I don't plan on using it a lot, but I will use it. Should I get Synthetic or Steel wire for the winch regardless of the model?

Any other recommendations and "must-haves" let me know. I'm starting over so I need all the basics (again). Thanks!
Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Just ordered my JLUR today too. Congrats!

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
All weather floor mats, front, rear, and cargo!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Congratulations!

My husband had a Superwinch on his JK and was happy with it (but he surprised me with a Warn for my JL). We got the synthetic line because itā€™s lighter and safer if it breaks.

I have a Tazer and like it. I got it to reset tire size when I got my 35s.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I have had a superwinch talon 9.5 for 7 years now and it works like a champ and has been heavily on 2 different jeeps now. I have lots of friends that run the tiger shark winches and they love them.

That being said within the last few years Superwinch as a company has gone through some troubles, they moved from CT to WA and lost a lot of good people that were there for a long time, then the launched the EXP line about 3 years ago that turned into a massive failure, and about a years and a half ago they got bought out by Westin who moved all of the tooling from WA to CA. This SX line is the first to come from Superwinch by Westin and that being said I would say wait and see on this new winch based on what happened to the EXP and the price point makes me think they went cheap. What little specs they have looks to be the same as a tiger shark with more bells and whistles that you really do not need in a shinier case for less.

I would recommend a talon or a tiger shark from them and thats it.

For rope type there are give and takes for both steel and synthetic. steel is durable and will live longer but will rust (more just look ugly) over time, heavy (~40 pounds), and when it breaks it can be dangerous. synthetic on the other hand is much lighter (<10 pounds) when i breaks it just falls downs, can be easily repaired on the trail, but it is more fragile, it will break down in the sun, dirt and grime will get into the webbing wearing it down, and you have to be careful about rubbing it on trees and rocks when pulling

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Local shop here will only sell synthetic line because of the safety issue. Iā€™m inclined to agree (got a nasty cut from a steel winch cable many many years agošŸ˜). Iā€™ve had good luck with the Smittybilt 9500lb winch.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Any recommendations on a tuner? I will have the 3.6L & Manual Transmission. I liked the Superchips in-line option but not sure if it was worth the $800. I'm probably staying mostly stock.
I too have a 3.6 and stick shift on order. I'll go with the Livernois tuner but mostly because E85 is plentiful here in the Midwest.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-50hp-gains-on-e85-for-v6-jl-wrangler.53580/

Bumpers - I plan on adding a winch and replacing the bumpers. But for the price of the new bumpers, is it easier to go with the factory steel bumpers?
My understanding is the factory bumpers are "OK" but can deflect under hard hits causing damage to the body. I'm going aftermarket.

Winch - I really like the upcoming Superwinch (https://www.quadratec.com/p/superwinch/sx-10000-series-winch-wired-remote-1710200 or https://www.quadratec.com/p/superwinch/sx-10000sr-series-winch-wireless-remote-1710201). Any opinions on Superwinch or other brands? I don't plan on using it a lot, but I will use it. Should I get Synthetic or Steel wire for the winch regardless of the model?

Any other recommendations and "must-haves" let me know. I'm starting over so I need all the basics (again). Thanks!
I prefer Warn, but Superwinch also has quality winches. Get the synthetic line unless you drag your cable across rocks.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Superchip is garbage tune, small gain for too much money.
Look into the Livernois tune - much better bang for your $.
Please note that Superflow dyno (Superchips) on average reads 10% power then Dynojet ((Livernois).

To unlock other options/change settings , look into OBDJscan. It has alot more functions over flashcal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi!

I just ordered my new jeep (yay!). I have some questions. Right now in my JK I'm using a dashcam. I ordered both the front and rear cameras. Is it possible to use them as my "dashcams"? It would be nice if it recorded directly to the radio (premium)... is there a way to use the factory cameras as a DVR?

I bought this front/rear camera in November 2019, been running it with no issues ever since.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRV85NP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video recorded with it here:
Quality was greatly reduced by YouTube, the actual recording quality is superb...

Jeep Wrangler JL Ordered JLUR. Questions! Cam

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought this front/rear camera in November 2019, been running it with no issues ever since.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRV85NP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video recorded with it here:
Quality was greatly reduced by YouTube, the actual recording quality is superb...

Thanks, I have a similar off brand one (I forget the name) and it's trash quality. I'll take a look at the Apeman!

Just ordered my JLUR today too. Congrats!
Congrats to you too!

All weather floor mats, front, rear, and cargo!
Recommendations on brands? I usually do bed liner but I think I'm over it after installing it in 2 vehicles

67 Designs phone mount! There's really no where to put your phone while driving in the JL.
I really like this mount, thanks!

Congratulations!

My husband had a Superwinch on his JK and was happy with it (but he surprised me with a Warn for my JL). We got the synthetic line because itā€™s lighter and safer if it breaks.

I have a Tazer and like it. I got it to reset tire size when I got my 35s.
I have had a superwinch talon 9.5 for 7 years now and it works like a champ and has been heavily on 2 different jeeps now. I have lots of friends that run the tiger shark winches and they love them.

That being said within the last few years Superwinch as a company has gone through some troubles, they moved from CT to WA and lost a lot of good people that were there for a long time, then the launched the EXP line about 3 years ago that turned into a massive failure, and about a years and a half ago they got bought out by Westin who moved all of the tooling from WA to CA. This SX line is the first to come from Superwinch by Westin and that being said I would say wait and see on this new winch based on what happened to the EXP and the price point makes me think they went cheap. What little specs they have looks to be the same as a tiger shark with more bells and whistles that you really do not need in a shinier case for less.

I would recommend a talon or a tiger shark from them and thats it.

For rope type there are give and takes for both steel and synthetic. steel is durable and will live longer but will rust (more just look ugly) over time, heavy (~40 pounds), and when it breaks it can be dangerous. synthetic on the other hand is much lighter (<10 pounds) when i breaks it just falls downs, can be easily repaired on the trail, but it is more fragile, it will break down in the sun, dirt and grime will get into the webbing wearing it down, and you have to be careful about rubbing it on trees and rocks when pulling
Local shop here will only sell synthetic line because of the safety issue. Iā€™m inclined to agree (got a nasty cut from a steel winch cable many many years agošŸ˜). Iā€™ve had good luck with the Smittybilt 9500lb winch.
Thanks for the tips. I think I may go Synthetic just for the weight. Steel is dangerous but wearing gloves and a damper is probably a good choice. Thanks for the tips, I'll wait for reviews on those Superwinches. I did hear about their issues so I'll be sure to wait it out (I don't need it right away).

Err... consider me umm a noob - but what is a "tuner"? Are you talking about those knobs that you fiddle with to get radio station like those cool kids do in that Netflix show - Stranger Things

If thats the case.... it looks cool but.. why why?

Ladies and gentlemen!!!! Give it up for our most avid awesome female Jeep owner everrrrrrr - the amazing JULIEEEEEEEEE!!!!! aka @RagTopDeluxe

I respect you SO much!! :rock::rock::rock:
LOL that is perfect! :)

Superchip is garbage tune, small gain for too much money.
Look into the Livernois tune - much better bang for your $.
Please note that Superflow dyno (Superchips) on average reads 10% power then Dynojet ((Livernois).

To unlock other options/change settings , look into OBDJscan. It has alot more functions over flashcal.
Alright, I'll look into more. I do have JScan, it's an AWESOME app!

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
you asked about bumpers.

If you already ordered then you ordered a bumper. If you got the steel you still have to buy a winch mounting plate. If you didnt get the steel than you could get whatever style you like. I like the look of the factory one, just not the premium price. Thats probably why I got the Rugged ridge Arcus.

Customizing your jeep is the fun part.

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you asked about bumpers.

If you already ordered then you ordered a bumper. If you got the steel you still have to buy a winch mounting plate. If you didnt get the steel than you could get whatever style you like. I like the look of the factory one, just not the premium price. Thats probably why I got the Rugged ridge Arcus.

Customizing your jeep is the fun part.
Yeah, I like customizing but this year we're doing a really long road trip so I was thinking of keeping it simple. After the first year, it's on.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Quadratec floor liner kit. You can get 5% discount too for being a forum member.
Sponsored