Optimum Gears?

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I think they should have different gearing stick v auto....while the stick has a lower first gear it really struggles up at the 5th to 6th range. I have had both a stick with 33s and 3.45 rear, auto with 4.10 and 33s and then 35’s and now have an auto with 3.45 and 35s. I have to say that the worst was 33s with 3.45 in a manual, the auto with 35’s is better

I think rubicons should come 4.10 with auto and 4.56 with manual
sport/Sahara 3.45 is adequate with auto but should be 4.10 with manual.

I’m planning on possibly regearing to 4.56 with 35’s and auto and think it will be perfect but if sticking with 33’s then 4.10s would have been fine and I would even live with the 3.45
Sponsored

Jeb22

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (White)
My Take on this topic...for what its worth! Have a 2018 JLUR, 2.5" JKS lift, true 35" tires, winch, Rhino Rack roof rack and steel rear bumper. What I'm getting at is that the 4:10 gears from factory with the 33's are optimal for BONE STOCK Jeep with no added weight and being driven at 55-65mph...period. Once you start adding weight (accessories and payload) and lift etc, etc... and driving above 70mph it will effect how the tranny shifts (hunts) for the right gear whether it be on hills or in a head wind due to weight (I live in the midwest and we ALWAYS have a head wind, LOL). Also, as others have reminded us, we are basically pushing a file cabinet down the road. To get that tranny back into some of its normal shifting parameters, even with the re-cal for the computer...you will need to re-gear for what you are using the jeep for. I am currently in 7th gear 90-95% of the time running the 410's at 70mph (2500 RPM in 7th), unless I'm going down hill with a tail wind!!, and that's with no added payload besides me. I will be re-gearing to a 4:56 (gearing calculator says minimum is 4:30 for 35's) in 8th gear at 70MPH=2000 RPM. Also consider fuel mileage, there will not be a significant gain, maybe getting a couple MPG's back. So the re-gear is not going to pay for itself anytime soon, but will get the tranny back into its stock "comfort zone". Currently, I am getting around 14-15mpg averages on the highway (65-75MPH). Also consider your tire type (are they high rolling resistance tires, aka aggressive tread pattern, or more "road friendly" all terrains. As simple as I can make this...the harder you make that Pentastar (or any engine for that matter) work the worse you mileage and overall performance will be.