Sponsored

Onboard Air for 4xe

Kats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5
Hello

Wondering anybody has installed onboard air on their 4xe at this time? If so could you please share what compressor, mount (location) you are using and gotchas people should know before doing an install?
Also share if you have any of the four wheel air system (like up down air speedflate) setup with your oba.

Thanks
Sponsored

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Hello

Wondering anybody has installed onboard air on their 4xe at this time? If so could you please share what compressor, mount (location) you are using and gotchas people should know before doing an install?
Also share if you have any of the four wheel air system (like up down air speedflate) setup with your oba.

Thanks
I purchased the Grimm under hood mount for the ARB twin compressor after @eLECTRICON mentioned it worked with some brake line tweaking. I am planning to install this weekend so I would be happy to report back what I find. If the install does not work in that location I am going to use the ARB under seat mount and put it in the cab.

As for the four wheel air system I use the ¡Cuatro! 4-Way Tire Deflator/ Inflator 2.0. I purchased because of the Tread Lightly discount, but I am super impressed with the quality of the components. Also it can handle 300psi, way more than the Speedflate system can.

OP
OP

Kats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5
I purchased the Grimm under hood mount for the ARB twin compressor after @eLECTRICON mentioned it worked with some brake line tweaking. I am planning to install this weekend so I would be happy to report back what I find. If the install does not work in that location I am going to use the ARB under seat mount and put it in the cab.

As for the four wheel air system I use the ¡Cuatro! 4-Way Tire Deflator/ Inflator 2.0. I purchased because of the Tread Lightly discount, but I am super impressed with the quality of the components. Also it can handle 300psi, way more than the Speedflate system can.
I have also ordered the same grimm offroad mounting kit from northridge along with ARB twin compressor package. I hope the install would be easy. Please do update here on how yours goes. Thanks

eLECTRICON

I have also ordered the same grimm offroad mounting kit from northridge along with ARB twin compressor package. I hope the install would be easy. Please do update here on how yours goes. Thanks
Easy but not simple, slight modifications are necessary. I recently relocated mine in the cargo area storage compartment.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
There is no way this bracket will fit without serious modifications. The biggest obstacle is the location of the brake lines. Without bending them both passenger side and skyward, there is no way to bolt the bracket to the firewall. In this image I am already encountering the brake lines and I am not even close to reaching the firewall bolts:

Jeep Wrangler JL Onboard Air for 4xe 20210821_181644

If you manage to bend the brake lines out of the way (without damage), then you would need to contend with the fact that there is nothing to mount to for the top of the bracket as the brake system is different:

Jeep Wrangler JL Onboard Air for 4xe 20210821_181715

This will be going back and I will be trying the ARB under seat mount instead!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5
There is no way this bracket will fit without serious modifications. The biggest obstacle is the location of the brake lines. Without bending them both passenger side and skyward, there is no way to bolt the bracket to the firewall. In this image I am already encountering the brake lines and I am not even close to reaching the firewall bolts:

If you manage to bend the brake lines out of the way (without damage), then you would need to contend with the fact that there is nothing to mount to for the top of the bracket as the brake system is different:

This will be going back and I will be trying the ARB under seat mount instead!
Thanks for the update @SpaceCase. Looks like I am going to return the grimm offroad bracket back.
Please update us with your underseat install as well.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Thanks for the update @SpaceCase. Looks like I am going to return the grimm offroad bracket back.
Please update us with your underseat install as well.
Well it took a while to find the time for the underseat install, but everything went incredibly well. I had to remove a wiring bracket that was in the way , and zip tie the connectors to the main wire loom, but that was the extent of surprises. I did use some flange button head screws with blue locktite to mount the compressor to the bracket. This alleviated having to put spacers under the seat to clear the seat wiring. I also learned I didn't need to cut as much carpet or vent tube from the front of the underseat area as I was not installing the manifold.

OP
OP

Kats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5
Well it took a while to find the time for the underseat install, but everything went incredibly well. I had to remove a wiring bracket that was in the way , and zip tie the connectors to the main wire loom, but that was the extent of surprises. I did use some flange button head screws with blue locktite to mount the compressor to the bracket. This alleviated having to put spacers under the seat to clear the seat wiring. I also learned I didn't need to cut as much carpet or vent tube from the front of the underseat area as I was not installing the manifold.
Hi

Thanks for the update. Could you please share some pics if you have ?

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Hi

Thanks for the update. Could you please share some pics if you have ?
Sadly didn't take any photos as I really didn't run into any different issues that weren't already covered. I ran my wires along the inside passenger trim and then thru the passenger firewall "nipple". I cut the end off and the wiring fit perfectly. The ground wire was long enough to reach the terminal on the side of the Jeep, bit I had to extend the positive wires by about 2-2.5' each. I wired the purple control wire to aux 4.

I recommend watching the video on the Genesis Dual Battery install to see how to get to the firewall pass thru:

And this video on how to remove the firewall trim:

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
I made my own 4 wheel air system a while back as its actually crazy easy and WAY cheaper than any of the commercially available options.

Here's one of the many tutorials out there.

I also decided to go with a DIY power tank for speedier air up times. again, DIY with this because it was WAY cheaper and ridiculously easy.

Here's a video for that.

With the jeep, I think I will keep the power tank system but grab a couple roll bar mounts and 2 10 pound tanks (currently have a 15 lb tank for the Taco) for really long trips. It will take up a little more space than an onboard air system would but the powertank rollbar kit puts the tank in a space I wont be using otherwise, so its almost free space. https://powertank.com/collections/brackets/products/bkt-2240?variant=13634040102956
Sponsored