Sponsored

Oil changes for 4xe

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If you run only or mostly the electric motor, how are oil changes calculated? Will it be by the monitoring system and changing when the percentage gets too low? Or, if you only run electric (ie around town trips) then once a year? The odometer keeps running regardless of where the power is coming from, so you'll really need to use the screen percentage. Being able to say you changed the oil every X,000 miles will be hard if you mean those are gas engine miles.
Sponsored

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
This is from the 4ex owner's manual addendum. So if it exceeds day or run time, it would need to be changed. Or when the indicator light comes on. Whichever happens first.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil changes for 4xe 1614271357376

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This is from the 4ex owner's manual addendum. So if it exceeds day or run time, it would need to be changed. Or when the indicator light comes on. Whichever happens first.
1614271357376.png
I believe that is the language in all the manuals. If the engine is not running, then there is no wear and tear on it, so no oil would be needed to be changed, even if you go 10,000 miles because all of those miles are from the engine being bypassed. The 1y mark is a general good rule of thumb to avoid oil just sitting in parts and not moving for over a year, I have been told.

Is the engine running if you are driving on pure electric?

TDangelo1219

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4Xe
I have a 2017 Pacifica PHEV with about 62,000 miles. I'm guessing only about 20-25K miles have been driven using the engine. I usually watch the vehicle Oil Life monitor and it's never hit 0% within a year so I've just changed it annually.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have a 2017 Pacifica PHEV with about 62,000 miles. I'm guessing only about 20-25K miles have been driven using the engine. I usually watch the vehicle Oil Life monitor and it's never hit 0% within a year so I've just changed it annually.
I generally end up changing my 3.6 when it hits 30-40%, which is 5k miles. Thank you for your input.

Sponsored

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
I believe that is the language in all the manuals. If the engine is not running, then there is no wear and tear on it, so no oil would be needed to be changed, even if you go 10,000 miles because all of those miles are from the engine being bypassed. The 1y mark is a general good rule of thumb to avoid oil just sitting in parts and not moving for over a year, I have been told.

Is the engine running if you are driving on pure electric?
The Jeep has an fuel and Oil Refresh mode for pure electric driving. But, I think a minimum of once a year would be best. I may do it every 6 months just to be on the safer side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil changes for 4xe 1614272735964

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The Jeep has an fuel and Oil Refresh mode for pure electric driving. But, I think a minimum of once a year would be best. I may do it every 6 months just to be on the safer side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil changes for 4xe 1614272735964
I do hope there is a way to override this feature. When I have my 4xe I intend to run it for daily commutes, so very little if any gas running. As such I'll put in ethanol free gas whenever possible and add Pri-G with each tank, thus keeping the gas good for 6mo-2y. I don't foresee not running a long trip to the trails at least once every couple of months so this is all probably unnecessary.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I do hope there is a way to override this feature. When I have my 4xe I intend to run it for daily commutes, so very little if any gas running. As such I'll put in ethanol free gas whenever possible and add Pri-G with each tank, thus keeping the gas good for 6mo-2y. I don't foresee not running a long trip to the trails at least once every couple of months so this is all probably unnecessary.
Its your jeep, but this is not something I would try to bypass. The lubrication portion is deemed essential by Jeep, in order to keep the engine well lubricated. The fuel going bad is one thing that you can overcome with good quality fuel, but then you are spending more money than required. The 4xe is not designed for 100% EV use. You could drastically shorten the engines lifespan by ignoring the lubrication advice.

As far as oil changes, my motorhome can go 15k miles between oil changes...OR...365 days. I am always changing based on days, not distance. Same will be true with the 4xe that see very little engine use. You will still need to change it annually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Its your jeep, but this is not something I would try to bypass. The lubrication portion is deemed essential by Jeep, in order to keep the engine well lubricated. The fuel going bad is one thing that you can overcome with good quality fuel, but then you are spending more money than required. The 4xe is not designed for 100% EV use. You could drastically shorten the engines lifespan by ignoring the lubrication advice.

As far as oil changes, my motorhome can go 15k miles between oil changes...OR...365 days. I am always changing based on days, not distance. Same will be true with the 4xe that see very little engine use. You will still need to change it annually.
Eh, you have a point. Effort may not be worth the hassle. To clarify, I was not saying I would avoid engine lubrication, that should be done every year at least (though the 91k mile oil change thread certainly gives you something to think about). I was having more of a problem with the computer saying it will shut off the electric only option until it decides the engine has been run enough. Engines do need to be run periodically or risk things settling. I wonder how often the system is programmed for this to happen? If it is a duration without ignition type thing or stress on the engine (i.e running some highway miles)?

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Eh, you have a point. Effort may not be worth the hassle. To clarify, I was not saying I would avoid engine lubrication, that should be done every year at least (though the 91k mile oil change thread certainly gives you something to think about). I was having more of a problem with the computer saying it will shut off the electric only option until it decides the engine has been run enough. Engines do need to be run periodically or risk things settling. I wonder how often the system is programmed for this to happen? If it is a duration without ignition type thing or stress on the engine (i.e running some highway miles)?
I think a lot of this is a work in progress. FCA has very little "e" experience, so they are trusting the engineers they have hired and bringing their own ideas and research. I am sure it is solid, but there will be kinks. The idea of forced circulation actually sounds like a lesson learned by an engineer for some other factory, and a good idea. How they implement it? Hard to say. I would assume that most 4xe owners will see engine use frequent enough that the forced lubrication never happens.

I hate to bear the bad news, but you may be the first publicly commenting person on how this feature works. There will be others that experience it, but they may not have found this forum. I don't know what the overall % is, but I assume its single digits of owners of jeeps vs forum participation. May be less than 1%.

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I Know that is you do not use the ICE enough through a 90 day period, the Jeep with run mainly the ICE to use up the gas in the tank to prevent it from getting stale.
Sponsored