OP

annieo

First Name
Redtop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A few things. Your cam position sensor issue has to do with the cam(s) operate via a constant feed for oil under a certain pressure. So, when the pressure gets too low, the cams cannot adjust to the required values. Thus requested and actual are not agreeing with each other.

Now, when there are "Large oil spot", right there you needed to stop driving and have it towed. You documented four different times you noticed an oil leak yet just kept driving it. So you brunt some of the responsibility there. Top it off "ā€˜Low Oil Pressure 10 PSI" warning shows up on the dash and you keep driving. The manufacturer does not set up warning like that for no reason.

Also, when it comes to oil spots, I suggest this, go take 1 quart of oil and dump it on your garage floor. It's a massive mess. Then, if you are leaking oil at the rate you say, there should be a huge mess everywhere you park and the whole underside and back of your Jeep would be soaked with oil.

Problem is, you should have stopped right away, yet you just kept driving. In the end, the dealer and Jeep will be paying for this 100%. This would be like if I did a brake job on your car and you drove a few days with the pedal going to the floor and thus rear end someone. You should have known something was wrong right off the bat and stop driving. Yet, it's me the mechanic that is at fault. I take a certain percentage of the fault but not 100%.

Also, the free oil changes are a joke. Yes you get documentation but the guy doing the oil change is literally the least qualified person to do so. It's a crapshoot as to if the guy does it right. Since it's "free" we run after it and then demand perfection. The guy that can get perfection is doing the difficult and time consuming jobs, not oil changes, yet we'd rather have the experienced expert do something like that and still get it for free.
Thank you for your email.
To clarify:
1- I notified the Dealer as soon as I saw the OIL LIGHT on dash. I am kicking myself now - should I have just anticipated that a basic Oil Changes from a Dealer should go wrong? I am new to Jeep ownership. In my 40 years of owning cars, never had an oil change issue - idea of it, never crossed my mind. Do I look for oil in my driveway? No - it is a car with 14k miles. If it was 20 year old car, maybe. So I did not look proactively look to see the Oil spots. Once I saw the OIL Light went on, I then tracked back events to realize is was leaking ever since I got the car back.

2- LOW PSI - I called Dealer IMMEDIATELY. They told me drive it to the dealership (8-10 miles away). I thought that was risky (to say least). Given they suggested, I drive it 10 miles, it did not seem unreasonable to drive it back 1 mile.

3- Business - Funny "free" is a loose term. So pay $50K+/- for a car, does it mean it comes with an unreliable service department? I am a bit emotional. I love my Jeep. I trust the Dealership & Jeep to have a 'business model' that when they make an offer, they have professionalism to deliver. Maybe naive (or rather experienced business manager that would expect basic management controls are in place - 'checks/balances'(e.g. run car for 15 minutes).... No one has to make the excuse an hourly employee is to blame for this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I have free oil changes for life and found out real quick that I should do my own oil change when Oil was high on my dipstick and I drained 7.5 quarts from my 3.6L and it takes 5!!!!
They can shove their free oil changes where I think, Iā€™d rather do it myself and know for sure what and how much oil is in it.

travis_cooper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude
It is interesting to me that right now we have a thread going for a dealership messing up an oil change as well as one where somebody did it themselves and now their engine is messed up. So it seems like there isnā€™t a single right answer. Some people feel comfortable doing their own oil changes, others donā€™t.

I donā€™t think it is helpful to come and say, thatā€™s why I do my own oil changes. That comment doesnā€™t help the op right now. That is in the past at this point and they are looking for advice on how to have the best outcome.

It isnā€™t unreasonable to expect a professional service department to be able to do an oil change. I was taught to change my oil when I first learned to drive, but I eventually got tired of crawling underneath my cars that have very little clearance. I finally decided it was worth the money to just take it somewhere to get it done. While Iā€™ve never owned a new vehicle, and have never gone to a dealer service center, Iā€™ve never once seen an oil change cause a problem with any of my vehicles. If it wasnā€™t for this forum I wouldnā€™t have even thought that this would be a concern.

There are a lot of people out there that donā€™t change their own oil. It isnā€™t constructive to come here and make them feel like itā€™s their own fault for not doing it themselves.

Sponsored

JohnnyG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Suzuki GV, various performance 65-70 mopars
Never continue driving with low oil pressure. Stop immediately and diagnose or get a tow. Any recommendation to do so be it from a dealer or anyone else is just bad advice. You'll be very lucky if your main bearings are not toast, that can happen very fast. Also highly unlikely there was a "nick" in the oil filter, they probably didn't tighten sufficiently; I'd ask them to show me the evidence.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
What happened is they put the O ring on wrong and it broke when they tightened it, and oil leaked out here. This happened to me but I noticed leaking oil before any lights or warnings. I removed the broken O ring and put a new one in the correct place and never had an issue since.
I change my own oil and made this mistake once, so I can see how anyone might make this mistake. However, driving the car with low oil pressure any distance likely did severe damage.
Best of luck on getting this resolved!

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
It is interesting to me that right now we have a thread going for a dealership messing up an oil change as well as one where somebody did it themselves and now their engine is messed up. So it seems like there isnā€™t a single right answer. Some people feel comfortable doing their own oil changes, others donā€™t.

I donā€™t think it is helpful to come and say, thatā€™s why I do my own oil changes. That comment doesnā€™t help the op right now. That is in the past at this point and they are looking for advice on how to have the best outcome.

It isnā€™t unreasonable to expect a professional service department to be able to do an oil change. I was taught to change my oil when I first learned to drive, but I eventually got tired of crawling underneath my cars that have very little clearance. I finally decided it was worth the money to just take it somewhere to get it done. While Iā€™ve never owned a new vehicle, and have never gone to a dealer service center, Iā€™ve never once seen an oil change cause a problem with any of my vehicles. If it wasnā€™t for this forum I wouldnā€™t have even thought that this would be a concern.

There are a lot of people out there that donā€™t change their own oil. It isnā€™t constructive to come here and make them feel like itā€™s their own fault for not doing it themselves.
Threads in public forums are not just about solving a singular problem for one individual. Many people read to educate themselves and hopefully learn from the painful experience of others how to avoid a similar situation.

Usually I change my own. Sometimes I pay others or take the ā€freebieā€. Regardless of which method, I inspect for leaks and proper oil level immediately afterwards and before driving away.

ā€œTrust, but verify.ā€

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As we all know, just reading the intranets and changing your own oil means it's done right. I just changed the second filter housing on a 2017 Jeep because it was cracked due to overtighting it. The owner does his own oil changes so I figured out the problem. Someone came up to his Jeep, opened the hood and cranked down on the filter housing while he was gone. It seems to happen to Jeep owners more often that everything else that gets the V6 motor.

Ironically, I am not qualified enough to do his oil changes (mechanics are dumb) yet to do the housing (which comes with an oil change by default.), I am. Also, the intranets told him it was the rear main seal for this second episode of oil leaks. I'm not as qualified as I cannot determine where the origin of the oil leak is.

The real problem is, flat rate. My dad complained about it back when he was a service manager back in the early 70's. Complaints today are no different than back in the day. If you get a shop that just pays by the hour, the quality goes way up. The free oil changes are flat rate too and the dude who is doing it, probably gets 10 minutes, so anything less than 10, is a bonus for him.
Sponsored