Sponsored

First Oil Change

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
I went to the dealer today for the first oil change. I only went there because I don't have the means to do it myself right now and it's free.

When I checked in I told the service writer to make sure they put only 5 quarts in it. He blew me off and said all the techs know much oil to put in a 3.6. I calmly explained the change from 6 quarts and how many people on various forums report their JLs being overfill. He appeared to ignore my comments and said they'd let me know when it was finished.

When they were done he reviewed the paperwork with me and I pointed out "QTY 6" and asked if they put 6 quarts in it. He says of course, that's what it takes. I maintained my composure as I told him he was wrong and reminded him I brought this up earlier. As he continued to tell me 6 quarts was right one of the senior service writers turned around and told him to look up the Vin in the service tool and see what it says. I got the sense he didn't know the right answer. He looks it up and sure enough it says 5 quarts. Then he says he's sure the tech wouldn't overfill it so we'll go check.

They bring my Jeep around to the level pad outside the door and we go look. He pulls the dipstick and says it's fine. It looks high to me. We go through this 3 times, him saying it's fine each time and me saying it's overfilled. Then the senior guy comes out, checks it himself and says it's overfilled. They take it back in to drain some.

30 minutes later my Jeep is back outside the door. Check the oil level again and it's right where it should be.

I don't know how the service writers and techs can still be so clueless on this. You'd think the dealership owners would want to get it right and stop giving away so many extra quarts of oil. They charge the same amount whether they put in 5 or 6 quarts. The Wave program is reimbursing them for 5 quarts, not 6.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the next oil change myself.
Sponsored

MillsRubicon

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JL V6 “NON ETORQUE!”
Yea I just did my first oil change myself and I absolutely love the fact it’s only 5 quarts because it seems you can always get deals for a 5 quart jug and then they would get you on that last quart lol . I used Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic Motor Oil in mine because it meets the MS-6395 standard set forth by Chrysler and the standard Full synthetic does not . Only issue I had was some idiot put the drain plug on I guess with a impact . I had to buy special Erwin bolt grips to get it out , I have never in my life had a drain plug put in that tight . Just FYI for anyone who doesn’t know Walmart carries the Factory Mopar oil filters . I get both my Cummins oil filter and the new canister style from Wally World . Oil change coated me less than $35 and best . May try AimsOil one day would love to find a hookup on here for it ….?

8FA9FEED-05D3-4BAB-B5C2-732F31D13031.jpeg

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Yea I just did my first oil change myself and I absolutely love the fact it’s only 5 quarts because it seems you can always get deals for a 5 quart jug and then they would get you on that last quart lol . I used Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic Motor Oil in mine because it meets the MS-6395 standard set forth by Chrysler and the standard Full synthetic does not . Only issue I had was some idiot put the drain plug on I guess with a impact . I had to buy special Erwin bolt grips to get it out , I have never in my life had a drain plug put in that tight . Just FYI for anyone who doesn’t know Walmart carries the Factory Mopar oil filters . I get both my Cummins oil filter and the new canister style from Wally World . Oil change coated me less than $35 and best . May try AimsOil one day would love to find a hookup on here for it ….?

Jeep Wrangler JL First Oil Change 8FA9FEED-05D3-4BAB-B5C2-732F31D13031
Do it yourself and you know it's done right. The dealership goes as fast as they can and haphazardly does the job. By the way if you are interested in Amsoil oil for your vehicles, I am a dealer. Send me a message, I would be glad to answer any questions.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Sadly, many places have the lowest person on the totem pole doing oil changes. Under or overtightened filters are common as well as the above noted, way overtighted/crossthreaded drain plug.

Most use the bulk systems that they say is full synthetic when it could be the cheapest oil out there.

No thanks, after the free ones, I'll change my own, thank you. Until then I'll watch them like a hawk.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I went to the dealer today for the first oil change. I only went there because I don't have the means to do it myself right now and it's free.

When I checked in I told the service writer to make sure they put only 5 quarts in it. He blew me off and said all the techs know much oil to put in a 3.6. I calmly explained the change from 6 quarts and how many people on various forums report their JLs being overfill. He appeared to ignore my comments and said they'd let me know when it was finished.

When they were done he reviewed the paperwork with me and I pointed out "QTY 6" and asked if they put 6 quarts in it. He says of course, that's what it takes. I maintained my composure as I told him he was wrong and reminded him I brought this up earlier. As he continued to tell me 6 quarts was right one of the senior service writers turned around and told him to look up the Vin in the service tool and see what it says. I got the sense he didn't know the right answer. He looks it up and sure enough it says 5 quarts. Then he says he's sure the tech wouldn't overfill it so we'll go check.

They bring my Jeep around to the level pad outside the door and we go look. He pulls the dipstick and says it's fine. It looks high to me. We go through this 3 times, him saying it's fine each time and me saying it's overfilled. Then the senior guy comes out, checks it himself and says it's overfilled. They take it back in to drain some.

30 minutes later my Jeep is back outside the door. Check the oil level again and it's right where it should be.

I don't know how the service writers and techs can still be so clueless on this. You'd think the dealership owners would want to get it right and stop giving away so many extra quarts of oil. They charge the same amount whether they put in 5 or 6 quarts. The Wave program is reimbursing them for 5 quarts, not 6.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the next oil change myself.
You're not going to get an intelligent and person with a lot of product knowledge by paying $18/hr + commissions on garbage they push on you. I don't trust anyone at a stealership.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
In Canada, the dealership tech manuals state to use 5.8 L. This is why they put 6 L on the bill. I argued back and forth with them, and had to physically show them that it was overfilled. I stupidly got maintenance included with my warranty package, so I get to double check their work every single time I go. They got it right the last time, guess they’re starting to catching on.
Sponsored