Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
haha, my comment was made in humor. Our heat is horrible when the dew point is high.
I know you were !!! I was just letting those Northern's know how Texas works !! :rain::sun::whew:
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So, those of us that live here deal with this crappy brine that ODOT puts on the roads because (insert whatever). I heard from my brother that ODOT is switching up the brine this year for one that is cheaper by 25%-30% BUT it is known to cause severe rust issues. Ohio knows this and they are choosing to still put this on the roads. I have both my Jeeps LineX'd but I'll make sure to wash the underside of the Jeeps more often now.

I just wanted to let my fellow Ohioans (and anyone traveling thru Ohio) know that the brine formula is changing :no:
Well that's some good info to have. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the conversation about location. I actually like it here.
It's rural, but an hour drive can get you to the city if you're into that sort of thing.
We have lots of outdoor activities so you can hunt, fish, hike, off-road, boat, etc.
We've got all four seasons, even if winter lasts a bit too long.
We don't have hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, and only a few tornadoes each year (unlike the plains states that have a ton of tornadoes every year).
And we're the only state that talks normal. Well, unless you head down toward the river where they all start to sound a little like my kin from Kentucky.
So yeah, the grass is greener here. At least it is when it's not covered in lake effect snow. :swear:

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
you guys all need to come to new jersey - we have strip shopping malls on every corner, some of the highest property taxes in the country, and just yesterday I watched a jeeper get a ticket because he drove in the sand in wharton state forest... yeah, I know, what was he thinking?

Ohio, Texas, I don't care, somebody get me outta here!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
you guys all need to come to new jersey - we have strip shopping malls on every corner, some of the highest property taxes in the country, and just yesterday I watched a jeeper get a ticket because he drove in the sand in wharton state forest... yeah, I know, what was he thinking?

Ohio, Texas, I don't care, somebody get me outta here!
But our wonderful state is also the Diner Capital of the World! And home of the famous Taylor Ham pork roll. :)

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
Buy CRC-656 marine by the gallon and put it in a spray bottle and go nuts and spray everything, including electrical connections. I have done this for years on my 09 jeep and after 10 years and 200K miles I still have no rust. I even drove through a ton of saltwater in the outer banks as well, including hurricane Mathew. I also use it in my waverunner that is now approaching 20 years old and it to
has no rust and is used only in saltwater. Fluid Film is great too, but is thicker and more expensive. I use both, but CRC is easier to spray.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-06008-Marine-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B0000AY2HN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3DL6EZG5EE7A5&dchild=1&keywords=crc+656+marine+lubricant&psc=1&qid=1571428460&sprefix=crc+656+marine+lubricant+6+pack,aps,122&sr=8-1
Do you spray the undercarriage, wheel wells, under the bumpers, etc also ? Or just the engine compartment?

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you use Rust Cop ( Carwell Corporation) everything gets sprayed, once a year..
Google "Carwell Products Inc " , you can have it done, or DIY, they have a robust warranty for this too. Sensor safe, vehicles are way too expensive to lose to corrosion

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
A friend owns an irrigation company and plows during the winter and swears by Fluid Film. He's used it for 25 years.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Do you spray the undercarriage, wheel wells, under the bumpers, etc also ? Or just the engine compartment?
Everything, if I can see it or get to it, it gets sprayed. Just avoid getting it on the brake rotors as much as possible.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
My understanding was that the brine solution here in Ohio is salt (sodium chloride) mixed with a cinder mash. I don't know for sure though, that's just what I've heard from random people. Nobody who really knows, so maybe Brandy can ask her brother what the brine really is comprised of.

Sponsored

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Cheby Colorado
Why can't Ohio just leave the F'n snow alone? It's not like we get snowed in for weeks at a time or anything. It snows; maybe it sticks around for a few days, and then it melts. But no, we rally the National Guard every time there's a flurry. Brine everything, pull up every loose piece of pavement with the army of plows, and then throw salt and sand on everything. It'll be 50 degrees three days later, and the dipshit Ohio drivers will still wreck anyways.

Then we get pothole season in the Spring. *Sigh*

But at least our football team is awesome.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Why can't Ohio just leave the F'n snow alone? It's not like we get snowed in for weeks at a time or anything. It snows; maybe it sticks around for a few days, and then it melts. But no, we rally the National Guard every time there's a flurry. Brine everything, pull up every loose piece of pavement with the army of plows, and then throw salt and sand on everything. It'll be 50 degrees three days later, and the dipshit Ohio drivers will still wreck anyways.

I can’t tell if you’ve lived here your whole life or just moved here from somewhere else....

I’m a lifetime Clevelander - so I’m not really bitter (as you sound) about this stuff. Just kind of meh about all of it. I can see someone moving here expecting something (maybe?) and then being disappointed by our reality.

oh well.

p.s. it’s funny people try to talk to me about sports and I’m just not into them at all.. I suspect it’s being growing up I always heard my dad complaining about our shitty teams so why would I get into something like that? Huh

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab

I, for the most part, agree. Plow the interstates and leave the rest alone.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Why can't Ohio just leave the F'n snow alone? It's not like we get snowed in for weeks at a time or anything........
I, for the most part, agree. Plow the interstates and leave the rest alone.
Spoken like true central Ohioans and Jeep owners. I'm inclined to agree that, it would be somewhat effective for those areas outside the snow belt (lake effect area). Two things to remember though.
1. In NE Ohio we would get snowed in if the roadways weren't treated/maintained.
2. Not everyone owns a JL, or other type 4x4 that can get through the deep snow/slush.

Yes there are other areas that get MUCH more snow than us (looking at you Montana), but that's not to say we don't get a lot.

Not a huge amount of snow in this picture, but if you're this Volvo owner, you're not going anywhere without the plows making a path.
52A5IQGHIRGB5MB7MZF53M4PDU.jpg

And this is my back porch 2 winters ago. As you can see by the deck box, and rails that's not drifted snow. That's straight up accumulation over the course of 1 night. Put that on the roads without plows and you'll shut down the area for days. Maybe weeks if anther system comes through and puts down more snow before it's all been packed/drifted/melted. No treatment may work away from the lake, but not up here.

porch snow.jpg
Sponsored