OffRoading in NY

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Anyone know where I can take my jeep for some legal trail rideing in NY. Looking to do more exploring than hardcore climbing. I'm in Westchester about 1hr above NYC. Probably willing to go about 1.5 hrs more North to reach a destination. It's pretty much illegal to take you'r jeep offroad anywhere here in NY.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
I hear the potholes are pretty challenging

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Free? nowhere Legal.

There is NORA, but it is some $$ for the day, it is a day trip in the catskills (hunter mountain)
It is guided and usually about 10-15 vehicles

I actually recommend it for anyone who wants to off road, but is new to it, they have a great beginners class.

I did it years ago with my XJ, it was a fun time, all obstacles have a bypass, guys that run it are nice.

I would love to get a group from here together to do it one fall

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
please for the love of god do not part take in illegal wheeling activities that is how more shit gets shutdown and ruins it for the rest of us

i highly recommend joining join a club that is local to you maybe on in CT as well

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
please for the love of god do not part take in illegal wheeling activities that is how more shit gets shutdown and ruins it for the rest of us
Something like 90% of all land in NY is privately owned, what exactly is getting shutdown for others when you go off-roading illegally in NY?

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Something like 90% of all land in NY is privately owned, what exactly is getting shutdown for others when you go off-roading illegally in NY?
Private land owners allow approved groups or clubs to access their property, when dip shit people trespass on their property and tear it up because they seem of tracks the land owners will go to the groups they do allow and say "WTF did you do? You are no longer welcome on my property"

I have seen this happen time and time again all over the north east, town or private land owner allow responsible people to drive on their property and enjoy it, dumb asses who are not responsible and/or respectful of the land owner ruin it for the rest.

The right thing to do is join a respected club who has already worked out the land access piece with the land owners or figure out who owns the land and talk with them directly and get permission else you are trespassing on privately own land.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Anyone know where I can take my jeep for some legal trail rideing in NY. Looking to do more exploring than hardcore climbing. I'm in Westchester about 1hr above NYC. Probably willing to go about 1.5 hrs more North to reach a destination. It's pretty much illegal to take you'r jeep offroad anywhere here in NY.
Yes, Join a legit club. Yes, you'll probably have to pay some dues, but there are multiple beneifts: Clubs usually have regularly scheduled events, people with a knowledge base and tools who are willing to help when you need it, and a knowledge base of land use issues, where to go legally and where to stay away, and some clubs even have agreements with local land owners that will get you access to private property via monthly rides. Off the top of my head, for your area of NY, the Clubs i know are:

Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers (https://www.hv4w.org/)
Long Island Off Road (http://www.liorclub.org/)
Adirondack Jeeps (http://www.adirondackjeeps.com)
Eastern 4 Wheelers (mostly New England http://www.eastern4wheelers.org/site/)

These clubs are all active and members of Northeast Offroad Vehicle Alliance(NOVA), or North East Association of 4WD Clubs (NEA4WD, or "NEA" for short), or both (as far as I know, unless there has been recent changes), and have connections and access to private land through those organizations, as well as trail data and info for trails in other areas via member clubs who share info. I've been with my club since 2005ish, and I've wheeled with members of the other orgs on and off at various region events. Several guys from Hv4W helped me with a trail repair on a ride. They're all good orgs with good people, worth the membership price (again, as far as i know, and if there haven't been any major changes). It's worth reaching out to them or going to a meeting to see if it's for you.

Additionally, there are some off road parks popping up here and there in NY: Mettowee Off Road Extreme Park (Granville NY),
BHM Off road facility (http://www.bhmoffroadtestfacility.com/)
and of course, in PA: Rausch Creek and AOAA.

It's not like out west, where there is open land everywhere, but it's what we have to work with.

Ultimately, it's something you have to consider what is right and how much it means to you: Do you want to keep going off roading for years to come, and possibly share it with future generations? if you answer yes, then it's worth it. These clubs will get you in, get you "trained" so you won't damage your rig or the trails, and help you get started off on the right foot. If the answer is "No", maybe it's best you just stay home. No disrespect, Wheeling illegally gets public AND private land shut down, and ruins it for everyone who actually does care. I speak from experience. We've lost access to a handful of public (Forest roads) and private land, due to abuse by local renegade wheelers since I started doing this- and that's not counting the trails we lost when I was growing up, riding ATV's, or the trails we simply lost to housing/ apartment complexes going up where there used to be a patch of land. Being organized is more important for 4x4 users now more than ever. I'll end my rant and step off of my soap box there.

Well, you nailed it.

I go to tons of places here in NY, illegally. It's the only way :bandit:
Incorrect, but thank you for not publicly blasting illegal locations all over the internet. Check out my post above, it may provide some help.

Free? nowhere Legal.

There is NORA, but it is some $$ for the day, it is a day trip in the catskills (hunter mountain)

I actually recommend it for anyone who wants to off road, but is new to it, they have a great beginners class.

I did it years ago with my XJ, it was a fun time, all obstacles have a bypass, guys that run it are nice.

I've seen pictures on their site. I'm pretty sure 2/3 lead guys on that are Butch and Andy, and those are 2 of the guys from HV4W who helped me with my trail repair years ago. They're great guys who have a ton of experience in building, fixing, wheeling rigs, and land use. I actually wouldn't mind getting down there just to run their trails and see them again. I'd probably try to convince a few of my buddies who are really new and have 4 door Jeeps to go as well.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
All New Yorkers know that if something is fun, it’s illegal here.

aah78

First Name
Ads
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JL)
Probably willing to go about 1.5 hrs more North to reach a destination.
Yes, will definitely recommend NORA as well. I did their Intro & Essentials classes earlier this year.
Was planning on doing their Hunters Mountain event later on but then my BSG failed & the Sahara was out of service for about a month.
So am taking it easy till I'm sure the Jeep is reliable enough to take off-road again.

I'll definitely be open to joining members from the NY-NJ-CT area to do a group event up there.
Sponsored