Odd Odor From Engine Bay

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Probably not much hope of finding the source by posting here but what the heck. Ever since installing a 2" lift (possibly just a coincidence) on my 2019 Moab a few months ago, I occasionally have a strange burning-like odor coming from the engine bay and I can smell it inside the Jeep. I first thought it might be brakes but couldn't really smell it within the wheel wells and the rotor temps all seemed normal. The odor is really hit or miss, some days it's there right when I leave the house other days nothing. When I notice it, it typically goes away after 20 minutes. Ironically, this is about the same amount of time/miles it takes me to get to the local Jeep dealer (Lol). I haven't taken it in yet just because I've been trying to be able to re-create it and I just know it won't happen for the service tech. Also, I only smell it after first heading out. In other words, it doesn't come back after that first 20 minutes or so or after multiple starts. I work at home so I don't drive it every day. It doesn't smell like a fluid such as oil or trans and there's no sign of any leaks. No visual clues by casually looking around the engine. This is really baffling me.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
how does your brake fluid level look? since you had to lower your axles to get the springs in you could have damaged the brake lines.

Edit: sorry just re-read and saw you were looking at brakes. The first brake job I did on my first car I left a brake fluid soaked rag under the hood accidentally and it caught on fire. Fortunately it fell out when I stopped to investigate the flickering light.

OP
OP
DenaliDan

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Sure doesn't smell like brake fluid and no obvious evidence of damage but I haven't checked the lines thoroughly. I'll give them a closer look this afternoon. Thanks.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Have you recently removed the air dam below the front bumper? That can change air flow and maybe bring the hot engine smell in to the jeep rather than diverting it past the engine bay? Just a thought.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
OP, check your belts and their tension the next time you smell heat. Check the pulleys (carefully) and see if any are scorching.

Check to see if your fans are on when you smell things.
Does the smell occur only before, during or after movement?

When you did the lift, did you accidentally put some greasy or anti-seize coated hands on the exhaust pipe to pull yourself up? It might just need to burn off.

When you lifted it, did you relocated the brake line anchors at each wheel? Some of the lower cost kits forget to mention that. Even with relocation, a nice flex can “crimp” the brake line. It won’t leak but the rubber inside can wad. If you see rotors getting hot for no reason, get a set of GRIMM BRAKE LINES to allow for the increased axle movement.

That’s some thoughts for now….

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
You also might want to also look around all coolant hoses and fittings for signs of seepage.

OP
OP
DenaliDan

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I had a much closer look in the driveway with the engine running. The odor was there but not very strong. Seemed to be coming from the area around the belts. VKSheridan may be onto something but nothing looked out of order. I've been through a lot of car issues (and repairs) through my years but this odor is not familiar. I do have birds that like to hang out in the Jeep (parked in a carport) and of course there's droppings in the engine bay (better in there than on the paint). Sure doesn't seem to be enough to cause an odor but it's the only thing I can see. Hell, I don' t even know if burning bird poop has an odor. I'm going to put out a fake owl anyway and see if that helps.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had my butt kicked on a glazed belt that slipped only while the A/C compressor was under load. Had an alternator with a seizing tail bearing shin kick me as well. Looking back though, bird poop on the exhaust would be a first for me!
Sponsored