Now where was that trail marker?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Anyone have any serious issues because of bad or unmarked trails?
I ended up going down a 5 of 5 rated trail at hidden Falls called "U Joint Buster" once committed there was no turning back.
Thankfully it was very very steep and I was going down.
I'm just wondering about some horror stories that I'm sure exist out there.

Knew I should have toted more fuel and water......

Jeep Wrangler JL Now where was that trail marker? 1679544589895
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Where is that? State and general location?

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Using apps like OnX and TrailsOffroad I don’t have any of those issues. I keep hard copy trail maps with me and I also know how to navigate. And crazy enough I don’t think I’m going to add gas storage to my 2dr. Seems to be fine for an entire weekend of wheeling without going through the tank.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Hidden Falls is in Texas, near Marble Falls.
https://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/

Before we got GAIA we were lost at Barnwell Mountain and going in circles (near Gilmer TX).

Literally hit a section of trail we recognized 3 times. Tried an offshoot that turned out to be for ATVs, eventually got turned around and found a mud bog at the “exit” with a warning sign because it was so deep. The “bypass” was barely passable in a 4 door. Found ourselves doing Austin powers style turns between trees (forwards BUMP, backwards BUMP, forwards BUMP
) some while straddling a ledge. It was interesting, felt like a pachinko ball.

So far my experience with off-road parks has been that trails are generally poorly marked or not marked at all.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Always, Always carry water and basic survival and self rescue gear when you’re farting around off road. The good news is you Don’t know what you’ll find, the bad news is you don’t know what you’ll find. Follow the old Scout motto “Be Prepared”. You will never be sorry you were, you Will be sorry if you’re not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Geronimo

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was taken in the Arabian desert by a group of jeep explorers who crossed big deserts for fun. They knew what they were doing and had prepared. I just thought that the picture shows some very intimidating landscape, and you better know what your doing.

I used to follow a guys posts that did this across Africa solo. It was quite the adventure.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
One tough spot was in Bridger/Teton National Forest near Bondurant, WY, not necessarily because of marking, but because of private land cutoffs. Hwy 191 is basically the only main road, and it was lined with private ranch land. Plenty of ways out on OnX, except they dead ended into locked gates.

Reminder to get the Motor Vehicle Use Maps on FS property. It was the only way we found a way out without backtracking:
Jeep Wrangler JL Now where was that trail marker? 1679678067557

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
But did you die?

That's the difference between going for a drive and having an adventure.

OP
OP
Geronimo

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One tough spot was in Bridger/Teton National Forest near Bondurant, WY, not necessarily because of marking, but because of private land cutoffs. Hwy 191 is basically the only main road, and it was lined with private ranch land. Plenty of ways out on OnX, except they dead ended into locked gates.

Reminder to get the Motor Vehicle Use Maps on FS property. It was the only way we found a way out without backtracking:
Jeep Wrangler JL Now where was that trail marker? 1679678067557
I recently started using OnX and am actually getting a tablet to dedicate just for that purpose. I have experienced the locked gate scenario quit often in some of our West Texas overlanding trips on into New-Mexico.
We would go to the trouble of pulling up Nav. USTS maps, print them and tried to use "Offroad Navigator" in conjunction. There were several instances just as you described. Thankfully we encountered a rancher that saved us about 40 miles of back tracking. OnX looks promising, just a bit tough on phone.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I recently started using OnX and am actually getting a tablet to dedicate just for that purpose. I have experienced the locked gate scenario quit often in some of our West Texas overlanding trips on into New-Mexico.
We would go to the trouble of pulling up Nav. USTS maps, print them and tried to use "Offroad Navigator" in conjunction. There were several instances just as you described. Thankfully we encountered a rancher that saved us about 40 miles of back tracking. OnX looks promising, just a bit tough on phone.
OnX works with Carplay if you have it. A little glitchy, but not awful.

I've seen more places using Avenza, which is interesting. Instead of loading map data, they basically put in a PDF of the map matched up to GPS coordinates. The Bridger Teton Map was available on that.

OP
OP
Geronimo

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I watched a long list of videos by a guy in Arkansas. Ozark Overland Adventures and his mapping system I believe was OnX. He was using it primarily to create /store a complete off road mapping guide of the Ozarks and other places. Worth while viewing.

Also I believe Trail Recon uses that system as well.
Sponsored