COHiker

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at doing an extended trip and wondering what kind of tools you all like to take with you? I know most of the common bolt sizes on the suspension but curious as to what folks are dedicated to taking.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a selection of metric sockets 8mm - 22 mm along with the wrenches in the same size. The sockets are a mix of ⅜" and ½" drives, along with extensions, wobble joints, drive adapters, and a few ratchets so I can mix and match to reach whatever I need. I also pack my ½" drive battery powered impact wrench, makes removing lug nuts and bigger bolts/nuts fast and easy. I also throw in a rack of SAE sockets and wrenches, torx sockets, and SAE and Metric allen sockets.

Since I have jam nuts on my control arms, I carry a very large adjustable wrench. In addition, I include a 36mm (for the axle shaft nuts, axle pinion nut, and transfer case yoke nuts) and a 42mm socket for the pitman arm nut.

For screwdrivers, I have a universal handle with a bunch of different sized magnetic tips.

At least one ratcheting tie down strap (usually 2 or 3), in case I need to strap down a broken part or use it to help re-align a control arm/track bar to it's mount.

Basically, I want a selection of tools to address any part of my suspension, steering, and braking systems. As I have either modified or worked on all of those systems, I know which tools I need for them. I have a real problem of being over prepared though, so I struggle with trying to pack the minimum and not my whole tool box!