Normal noises for a 2.0?

sakimike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
How about this noise? My ticking/knocking sound is all the time. I've put 5k miles on it in almost two months and it started around 3500 miles. This sound speeds up with increased rpm pressure. It's driving me nuts because I don't know if it's normal or not. This video was taken after a 900 mile trip.

It's the 2.0l with only premium fuel and premium oil/filter.
Hello,

I have a 2.0l as well as my friend. He has little to low clicking where I have more. It sounds like mine and I have not had any issues. 2020 Jeep JLU Willys - 7800 miles.
Sponsored

Timsteenhoek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Today the dealer stated they are replacing my engine. Story the same as this thread. Dealer listened and agreed night right. Then had jeep listen. Engineer agreed not right. Dropped pan. Full of metal shavings and junk. Three idle minutes after oil change. Jeep sending truck immediately to pull back with no dealer intervention and sent replacement motor already. FCA very interested More info if wanted.

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I noticed this ticking sound too. I was a little surprised that a $70,000 Rubicon would be so noisy...It sounds like you're low on oil and the lifters are making noise. This morning I moved my 2.0L turbo Wrangler Unlimited out of the garage and I noticed it quieted down to almost a normal engine sound after a couple of minutes of warming the engine up.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Much of the noise everyone is hearing is a combo of the high pressure fuel pump and direct injection. Those two will be noisy at first startup. Every DI motor I have owned has been this way. Almost sounds like a diesel.

The ones you need to look out for is the loud knocking.

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Much of the noise everyone is hearing is a combo of the high pressure fuel pump and direct injection. Those two will be noisy at first startup. Every DI motor I have owned has been this way. Almost sounds like a diesel.

Thanks for the! feedback Brian

Sponsored

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Reminds me of when I had a big block Chevy with a solid lifter cam that needed the lifters tightened down.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Reminds me of when I had a big block Chevy with a solid lifter cam that needed the lifters tightened down.
Yes very similar. Most of the high pressure pumps are cam driven like old school fuel pumps.

Sounds almost like the roller rockers on my mustang just louder.

Timsteenhoek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

That may be true. I agree it does sound like dieseling on high idle start up. After it idles down to normal idle and for the rest of the drive it’s whisper quiet. However it’s so loud at start up under high idle I took it in. Dealer agreed said it didn’t sound right. So they kept it until the FCA engineer was in town. He agreed did not sound right says they aren’t supposed to sound like that direct injection or not. He had dealer drop oil pan and was full of shavings and pieces. Said was “copper” color which I assume would be brass. Had them put the pan back on without touching anything and pulled it and crated it to go back to FCA for failure analysis. And mine did not have that lock knock to watch out for. Just the typical loud startup rattling everybody else is talking about. I’m sharing this so if you have one snd it’s under warranty and makes this noise I’d have it looked up. 40k miles on mine. Rubicon. New engine will be here Tuesday.

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That may be true. I agree it does sound like dieseling on high idle start up. After it idles down to normal idle and for the rest of the drive it’s whisper quiet. However it’s so loud at start up under high idle I took it in. Dealer agreed said it didn’t sound right. So they kept it until the FCA engineer was in town. He agreed did not sound right says they aren’t supposed to sound like that direct injection or not. He had dealer drop oil pan and was full of shavings and pieces. Said was “copper” color which I assume would be brass. Had them put the pan back on without touching anything and pulled it and crated it to go back to FCA for failure analysis. And mine did not have that lock knock to watch out for. Just the typical loud startup rattling everybody else is talking about. I’m sharing this so if you have one snd it’s under warranty and makes this noise I’d have it looked up. 40k miles on mine. Rubicon. New engine will be here Tuesday.
Thanks Tim, I'm going to have them look at mine...as soon as I get the paint issue resolved. My white paint around the fenders and grill started turning yellow. I took it to the dealer and they sprayed the parts, but they damaged some of my trim and now the paint is peeling on the drivers side. Ugh!
Sponsored