First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
We were driving home on 95 last Sunday when a 5 gal bucket flew out of some jack ass’ truck going 75mph (yea, not securing your load = jack ass, sorry). I slowed as much as I could but I didn’t want to cause a pileup so I navigated over the bucket and heard a nice ‘thud’ as it impacted the underside of our Wrangler. I was not too worried since we have skids but when we got home I crawled under and took a look. The only thing I found is what looks like a dent in my exhaust near the back of the front drive shaft. Based on the shape of the shield tacked on in the same area I’d say that indent is by design but I also find it odd to have a random indent like that. Can anyone confirm this is normal on a JL? Thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL Normal indent in exhaust? 233D47AB-99AE-4F5B-B9A3-15789A73460A
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that's normal. Question is...what's it for?

Complete conjecture here, but I think it's intended to stiffen the pipe right there. I never bothered to actually look at the exhaust system closely, but when I think about it, maybe Jeep used thinner walled pipe to lighten the exhaust system? I've replaced mandrel-bent exhaust systems in other trucks and cars and I've not seem them dented like that (intentionally).

Last edited:

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
This appears to be an intentional design, probably to strengthen the pipe as Rico mentioned. I have a 2-door Sport, so my exhaust pipes run differently under the vehicle, but there is one section that has the same indent. No need to worry, although I probably would have felt the same way.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yep it comes like that from the factory.
Sponsored