(non) off-road shaming - why?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hmm. How about 'ghetto' then? Better, same, worse?
About the same Unless you are talking about the affluent “ghetto” that is clearly behind the Jeeps in that thread……. Words matter

why use “ghetto” when what you wish to convey is that you don’t like rims? To me, it serves no purpose.

and, I do note that @OllieChristopher has responded to your post but didn’t bother to address my question about how he knew he was building vehicles in the 1990s in Atlanta for actual pimps involved in human trafficking. Hmmm…. Maybe he wasn’t and was just using the term to denigrate others that weren’t the same as him?
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
About the same Unless you are talking about the affluent “ghetto” that is clearly behind the Jeeps in that thread……. Words matter

why use “ghetto” when what you wish to convey is that you don’t like rims? To me, it serves no purpose.

and, I do note that @OllieChristopher has responded to your post but didn’t bother to address my question about how he knew he was building vehicles in the 1990s in Atlanta for actual pimps involved in human trafficking. Hmmm…. Maybe he wasn’t and was just using the term to denigrate others that weren’t the same as him?
LOL David!! You comprehended it all wrong. I was manufacturing limousines here in CA for global distribution. Pimps, rock stars, movie stars, sheiks, rich kids, etc. Most were production for limousine companies and at least a few a month were custom jobs made to order. And I misspoke on the years. It was more like late 80's to early 1990.

A little history lesson for you on what the laws were for GA at the time. Prostitution was a felony and pimping was a misdemeanor. So a whole lot of filthy rich pimps had felons removing dentures and spreading their legs for money and giving it to pimps making them rich. Pimps at the time controlled most of the sex trafficking and prostitution trade in GA. Not sure how it is today.

Totally off topic but just passing it on so you understand. Hope this helps....

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nothing that's more fun on a ride to ride basis than these Jeeps, he gets it
Jeeps are just fun.
Modding is fun.
Driving a Jeep in snow, rain, storms, mud, sand is fun.
top on top off no matter what, fun.
to Home Depot, to grocery store, deep into the woods, over rocks, dirt and curbs - all fun.
talking to otherJeep owners out in the woods on a trail or in front of Taco Bell at the mall - fun.
Picking up my kids and their friends after soccer/ football and hear some kid say from the back seat “cool Jeep”. Bonus fun.
getting a smile from a pretty girl who likes my Jeep. Extra bonus fun.
And this is a great intro on a great thread by Ted @wibornz
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/picture-thread-my-jeep-survived-that.79545/
I don't have any ill-will/shame towards those that don't offroad their Jeeps, but I do feel a bit sad that they aren't out there doing what these bad boys do best. Off Roading is right there with the best times I've ever had in my life, and my wife's also on board!

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Are we so damned PC and Cancel Cultured that we're going to complain if someone uses the words "pimp" and "ghetto" to describe something? Those terms weren't created out of thin air, there is (was) a basis for how they came about. Are you hoping that we get on some bandwagon you're pushing? Can we not have a sanctuary that we can go to during our evening drink and enjoy without these attempts to indoctrinate. I'll be "woke" when I want to, if ever.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Jeeps are really no different than pretty much everything else in the world. So many people in the world take an attitude that can be summed up in one sentence.

If you don't believe what I believe and do it the way I want to do it you're WRONG!!!!!!111!!1!!1!
Unfortunately, many of them get on the internet.

I say buy what you want. Do whatever you want to it. Enjoy it the way you like to enjoy it. Have fun.

If you happen to like doing doing with your Jeep what I like to do with my Jeep, I'm down for joining up. If not, I hope you have fun and find people who do what you like to do with you.

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? giphy

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
Are we so damned PC and Cancel Cultured that we're going to complain if someone uses the words "pimp" and "ghetto" to describe something? Those terms weren't created out of thin air, there is (was) a basis for how they came about. Are you hoping that we get on some bandwagon you're pushing? Can we not have a sanctuary that we can go to during our evening drink and enjoy without these attempts to indoctrinate. I'll be "woke" when I want to, if ever.
Millennials!

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler Sport Alt (on order)
I like those wheels. Thanks for linking the thread.

To me, “Pimp” suggests your disapproval beyond just your opinion since ”pimping“ is actually an illegal activity and conjures up all sorts of negative connotations. Words matter. Are you really suggesting that only those involved in the sexual exploitation of others drive Jeeps with these wheels? Or perhaps someone of only a specific ethnicity or social class would put them on their $50k JL?

I have zero problem with you not liking the rims(and questioning their offroad chops as you do in the thread). But “pimp”? Seems to me to be exactly what the topic of this thread is about. Why bother? You don’t like them. Perfectly fine to say that. “Looks too gaudy to me”… again, fine. “I don’t like the color”. “The wheels are too heavy for off-roading” …. Perfectly fine. ”faux beadlocks don’t interest me.” 100% valid. “Pimp”? Why?
I take offense because ten years ago I would have installed mirrors like that in my ride.

My occupation was not a "pimp" and I didn't live in the "ghetto."

Can't a man just install mirrors to lay out lines of drugs to insufflate without having these offensive labels applied to them?

What is the world coming to?

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of my favorite Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry line;

“If I want your opinion, I’ll beat it out of you”.

🤣🤣🤣

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
Maybe after they bash their ride and a rock, they are forced to tell everybody that damage is cool, chicks dig scars, bad is good, and my beautiful blue rubi, isn’t cool cause it’s all shiny, clean, and has mega resell value.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Some people have the need to belittle others to make themselves feel better. I say ignore them and do what makes you happy. Its funny we all say 90 something percent of jeep owners dont do serious off-roading. That means a lot of us on here are serious mall crawlers!

When called a mall crawler just own it! There is 0 shame in it. Some want to explore the trails eventually. Some have no desire. Some have the capability just incase, some just want to get ducks ,wave at strangers and be apart of a community. Whatever your reason for having a Jeep, if you enjoy it dont let anyone take that fun away from you.
And a voice of reason rose among them!