UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for that. I knew if anyone would know it would be you lol. Does it cost anything? Don't mind paying, just curious.

Do you leave the app up while running the trail. just check-in at the end, or just check-in at the trail entrance?
It’s free. We attempt to check in when we get to/near the trail head. You don’t need to leave it up during the ride. If you don’t have service, attempt to check in when you get service again. If check in fails, you can email folks at BoH and they can take care of it for you.
Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Its a good app and the process is very simple. Just search for the trail you want, when you get to the trail head and hit the "Check In" button. You can then hit "Request Badge" and enter your info. The badge will come in within a couple weeks. You dont need to leave the app running or anything. Honor system on if you actually run the trail.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like this program, and I think its great they've added more trails. My goal is to visit 5 on the East coast this year. Coming out of central Florida, its a long trip.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Thank you for that. I knew if anyone would know it would be you lol. Does it cost anything? Don't mind paying, just curious.

Do you leave the app up while running the trail. just check-in at the end, or just check-in at the trail entrance?
You can close the app. It will save your check in. After you fill in the fields the first time. It will remember MOST of the fields. It will not save the state that you live in. Make sure you double check that. The app will require you to verify your address before the final submit is made. Check it to make sure it is right.

There is no cost. to receive the badges. Just run the trail and submit.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I like this program, and I think its great they've added more trails. My goal is to visit 5 on the East coast this year. Coming out of central Florida, its a long trip.
Let us k is when you head up. We could meet you at Gulches and Dickey Bell for sure. I’d like to do Beasley Knob again at some point too.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The trail we planned to wheel in Georgia was closed due to winter...... Winter in Georgia, what is that? Then the web site said that the trail would open in Mid March. Two hours on the phone calling and searching trying to learn what Mid March meant? Luckily I got a call back from a Forest Ranger that told me the trail would open on or about March 19th. Well, I was passing back by the trail on March 17th. Literally 4 miles out of my way to run the trail. Didn't matter as an hour later a different Forest Ranger called and said it would be at least the 24th of March before it opened. So much for Mid March. No big deal, it is not like it is a 20 hour drive to go back to Georgia to pick the trail up.
Trails in the south tend to close in the winter due to the amount of precipitation we get. The trails need a “break” especially during our wet months in order to “heal.” Closing them for 4 months out of the year allow them to stay open when they might otherwise be shut down due to damage caused by wheeling 365. I don’t like that they shut down but I believe it’s a necessary evil to keep them open the other 8 months. The last thing I want is to see the few trails we have left go the way of the Dodo bird. It sucks that they close but it seems to be for the better good.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Trails in the south tend to close in the winter due to the amount of precipitation we get. The trails need a “break” especially during our wet months in order to “heal.” Closing them for 4 months out of the year allow them to stay open when they might otherwise be shut down due to damage caused by wheeling 365. I don’t like that they shut down but I believe it’s a necessary evil to keep them open the other 8 months. The last thing I want is to see the few trails we have left go the way of the Dodo bird. It sucks that they close but it seems to be for the better good.
I understand why they close, but man I hate driving within 4 miles of a trail, that will be about 1000 miles to come back to.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I kind of wish they would stop adding trails. I am at 36 badges and planned to do them all. I hate that they add them to ORV parks that have limited hours or trails that have limited access. It make it more difficult to plan getting more than one badge on a trip. Also when they keep adding trails, it makes it seam like there is no way to accomplish the goal of getting them all.

Recently I drove from Michigan to Alabama to Florida chasing badges. Love Stoney Lonesome ORV park, had to burn three days waiting for them to open so we could wheel. The trail we planned to wheel in Georgia was closed due to winter...... Winter in Georgia, what is that? Then the web site said that the trail would open in Mid March. Two hours on the phone calling and searching trying to learn what Mid March meant? Luckily I got a call back from a Forest Ranger that told me the trail would open on or about March 19th. Well, I was passing back by the trail on March 17th. Literally 4 miles out of my way to run the trail. Didn't matter as an hour later a different Forest Ranger called and said it would be at least the 24th of March before it opened. So much for Mid March. No big deal, it is not like it is a 20 hour drive to go back to Georgia to pick the trail up. Ooo wait a minute, it is. Fuck. sorry about venting. I was down to having to get two badges in eastern states, now I am back up to four and it will require another 3,000+ mile trip to get them.
ur retired what do you care LOL.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Ted -

Let us know when you come back through to do Beasley Knob and Gulches. Gulches is a cool little park our group has done dozens of times. Would be fun to meet up.
Gulches was my first time ever off road in a brand new jeep with a friend that was clueless. thankfully we didnt die. but now that its a badge park ill have to go back and spend some more time. hopefully they have better maps to give out then the one they gave me last time. ugh.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Gulches was my first time ever off road in a brand new jeep with a friend that was clueless. thankfully we didnt die. but now that its a badge park ill have to go back and spend some more time. hopefully they have better maps to give out then the one they gave me last time. ugh.
It’s not a good beginners park. But there are bypasses on every trail.

the map hasn’t changed!

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not a good beginners park. But there are bypasses on every trail.

the map hasn’t changed!
Not a good beginners park based on the trail markings or trail difficulties? Stock JLUR can have some fun there or will it be a pain to attempt it sans a lift?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not a good beginners park based on the trail markings or trail difficulties? Stock JLUR can have some fun there or will it be a pain to attempt it sans a lift?
A stock Rubicon can do plenty there. That's more capable than the Jeep I have wheeled there.

The way Gulches is set up is almost like an amusement park with each trail being like a ride. And then there are a couple of main dirt trails that connect them together. Each "trail" is very short, with just one or two challenging obstacles. Most trails have 2 or 3 lines to pick your level of difficulty. If you like technical stuff it is so much fun, because you just go from one "ride" to the next.

My experience as a beginner in other parks was I could spend a day riding trails mostly in my comfort zone, then get through a few difficult areas with a spotter. And each time I felt more comfortable and ready to try a little more. Gulches isn't going to be like that, because there aren't those long moderate trail rides to get comfortable.

So I guess it just depends what you are looking for.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
ur retired what do you care LOL.
It is the re-driving all over the country to do them. I just got back from wheeling in Alabama and Florida. Home for a week or two and then they add trails that I literally just drove by. So now, back to South Carolina and Kentucky. Everything seams to be a big drive from Michigan. Then Georgia trails were closed until wellnnobody is sure when it will open. The Georgia trail was 4 miles out of my way to pick it up on the way back from Florida. Well It was not open in Mid March like the web site said. So that will be over 20 hours of driving to go back to that trail. Fuuuuuuuuck. I wanted to get all the badges, but if they just keep adding them, it will be a goal that is not obtainable.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Ran the Backway to Crown King this past weekend in my JLU Sport. Pretty intense trail for my level of driving skill and modifications. A Rubicon or a 2dr would have probably had an easier time.
Definitely an earned BOH.
Do you still have to run up the creek bed past the mining operation?

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Ran the Backway to Crown King this past weekend in my JLU Sport. Pretty intense trail for my level of driving skill and modifications. A Rubicon or a 2dr would have probably had an easier time.
Definitely an earned BOH.
I plan on doing that one soon.
Sponsored