Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
Out of the blue, FCA called about my steering box yesturday. Said all they needed to hear was I had an issue. Not wanting to shoot myself in the foot, I now have an appointment with a local dealer and a claim with a box for replacement attached to it. 1/4/21 appointment we'll see what happens.
Let me know how it goes. Mine felt good for about 3 to 5 hundred miles. Then it was back the way it was. Maybe they won’t mess with the alignment.
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Let me know how it goes. Mine felt good for about 3 to 5 hundred miles. Then it was back the way it was. Maybe they won’t mess with the alignment.
Since you have a Rubicon your caster is probably too low, if you're experiencing a wander at higher speeds the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs will get your caster in the 6 degree range where it should have been all along. I know you mentioned problems at lower speeds but maybe the longer LCAs will correct some of the wandering issues you're having in general. BTW, is this your first Jeep, as it takes some getting used to if you're new to live axle drives (since you said that maybe you might have had higher expectations)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Also check the reservoir level as it will burp itself over time and might need to be topped up. Low fluid levels will cause issues.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also check the reservoir level as it will burp itself over time and might need to be topped up. Low fluid levels will cause issues.
Also confirm that all the bolts are torqued to spec, my box bolts were only 40 ft lbs, the spec is 44 ft lbs PLUS 135 degrees which is approx 100 ft lbs give or take, and my shaft bolt was only about 20, spec is 44 (and I'm certain it was reused which is never supposed to be done :( )

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When FCA called me out of the blue, I didn’t want to miss an opportunity to get a supposed improved steering box. So I let them hook me up with an appointment. Ever since I’ve been searching but haven’t found WHY a replacement metal box is better than a original good working aluminum unit. Some think the aluminum housing is problematic and weaker, I don’t. And I haven’t found “why” changing is the right move if internals are the same. And I have found no information about internal improvements. As mentioned in another post, the fact that the replacement box has a metal vs aluminum case might just be a cost consideration and metal is perceived to be better. These negative steering reports are being heard by FCA that’s for sure. FCA wants to end this issue and changing out boxes is nothing more than responding and marketing appeal. I have a week to become enlightened, otherwise I will cancel the appointment and keep my aluminum unit.
Best of luck to those that have steering issues because not all are steering box related.
I think the affect of heat on the aluminum box is one reason for the change, I'll find out if that's the case come summer, but until then....................

OP
OP
Tennjeeper

Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked your caster?
I assume the dealer did as a part of the warranty service. That may be a bad assumption. I might see if I can do a rough check myself.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I assume the dealer did as a part of the warranty service. That may be a bad assumption. I might see if I can do a rough check myself.
My dealer did on my ‘19 because I had it back to them at two weeks but I don’t think most dealers do. They didn’t do anything to increase it, but I did by swapping out the LCAs.

Both my Rubicons had 4.7* caster from the factory, which is too low.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wouldn't that affect all the aluminum boxes?
I'd imagine it would, but maybe many haven't been run too hot?? Mine was good up until we took it on a long run at 105 degrees last summer, the play in the steering really got excessive and it wasn't a linear degradation, came on rather suddenly.

There seems to be quite a bit of variance between the boxes so I'd imagine some would be more affected than others.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tennjeeper

Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer did on my ‘19 because I had it back to them at two weeks but I don’t think most dealers do. They didn’t do anything to increase it, but I did by swapping out the LCAs.

Both my Rubicons had 4.7* caster from the factory, which is too low.
What caster finally worked the best for you.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Since you have a Rubicon your caster is probably too low, if you're experiencing a wander at higher speeds the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs will get your caster in the 6 degree range where it should have been all along. I know you mentioned problems at lower speeds but maybe the longer LCAs will correct some of the wandering issues you're having in general. BTW, is this your first Jeep, as it takes some getting used to if you're new to live axle drives (since you said that maybe you might have had higher expectations)
when you say caster at 6 degrees, is that 6 degrees for both wheels or each wheel should show 6? Im new to that term and jeeps in general

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
when you say caster at 6 degrees, is that 6 degrees for both wheels or each wheel should show 6? Im new to that term and jeeps in general
Caster can be dialed in for each front wheel if you have adjustable control Arms, with fixed control arms it's a more general range. The 6 degree range or even up to 7 seems to be the best for these vehicles. Unfortunately the Rubicons especially have caster in the low 4 degree range which is far from ideal :( Since you have a Sport, if you haven't had it lifted you probably have caster in the 5.5 range, which is pretty good.
Sponsored