Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
Is the new steering box fixing anyone’s loose or wandering steering problem.
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Iv'e got a feeling that they're giving u the same product , just cheaper for them to make because of the material. And the gears are maybe better adjusted. . Same shaft in ur box if I may say

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Do a quick search on TSB. there is ton of pages and mixed reviews but the majority is “yes”

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It definitely helped my 2019 JLUR. After replacing everything in the front end, I was able to eliminate the vague and mushy feel, but still had over an inch of dead space that would widen as the system heated up and it would get harder to track straight on even a moderately breezy day on the highway. The box was the final piece that brought the steering over the finish line. It now only has a tad over a 1/4" of freeplay, tracks straighter and easier on windy days (for a high sitting vehicle on 38's), and doesn't get worse as it heats up. A bonus while getting it done, was a brand new Pittman arm went in with the new box. The dealer didn't have the correct tool to remove my original one off the original box.

Jeep Wrangler JL New steering box 20201009_083109
Jeep Wrangler JL New steering box 20201009_105858

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Iv'e got a feeling that they're giving u the same product , just cheaper for them to make because of the material. And the gears are maybe better adjusted. . Same shaft in ur box if I may say
If their objective is to save money on the material, they lost a whole lot more on the other end by absorbing the labor cost of retrofitting the pre-2021 Wranglers.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If their objective is to save money on the material, they lost a whole lot more on the other end by absorbing the labor cost of retrofitting the pre-2021 Wranglers.
Correct.

It is no surprise that the JL went on a huge diet from the JK's. Lots of lightweight parts to get weight down and economy up.

Some of this is good, some of not so good. The aluminum steering box was not one of the good.

Where FCA failed was in doing enough testing to not pick up on this; or moving faster to get the new solution out.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
The problem is some aluminum boxes are working fine, might even be the majority. If they want to swap out my properly working aluminum. I might as if I can postpone it until mine fails. If it ain't broke, why fix it :whatsgoingon:
Same here. Our 18 JLUR has had 37's for 16,500 of its 17k miles, and our steering is tight as can be. I drove my buddies sport on 37s before he had the box replaced and it was like driving a damn boat, all over the place. His tightened up after they put a new one on.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Same here. Our 18 JLUR has had 37's for 16,500 of its 17k miles, and our steering is tight as can be. I drove my buddies sport on 37s before he had the box replaced and it was like driving a damn boat, all over the place. His tightened up after they put a new one on.
Some are worse than others, plus temp comes into play as well. If I had a AL box that drove well it might be a dilemma to take it in for a steel box....

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Correct.

It is no surprise that the JL went on a huge diet from the JK's. Lots of lightweight parts to get weight down and economy up.

Some of this is good, some of not so good. The aluminum steering box was not one of the good.

Where FCA failed was in doing enough testing to not pick up on this; or moving faster to get the new solution out.
Light weight is the main reason I actually bought the JL (well, honestly more for its good looks actually)... I get better highway millage in my JL 6 sp then I did with my old 5 sp transaxle driven CRV. Not by much but still kind of impressive and if u ask me , because the JL is pretty much a brick with extra driveline parts that is weighted down and has more interior space to boot. ... Of course, this had a lot to do with the amount of overdrive the JL has over the Honda too. But to get back on point, the JL has stuff on it that many race cars would just dream of.. like the hood for example, that thing can be lifted by one finger...then theres the aluminum doors... and personally , wouldn't want that cast iron box in my JL because many here say that it did nothing for them when they had it replaced. There was a vid I saw of some guy who had to adjust the gears because the new steering box was just as loose. After the adjustment is when there was finally a difference. This is probably what the aluminum one just needed in the first place it's clearance between the gears thats loose not the actual box. .02

OP
OP
Tennjeeper

Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting to hear all the comments. i had a loose feel in the wheel at low speed from the beginning. They changed the box and was good for about 1000 miles. Now it's back to the same as it was. its still loose below 50 Mph. High speed is great. My fear is that it will continue to get worse. I'll look into the gear backlash adjustment and see what that does. I am not seeing and negative responses to the box change. It might be time to give the dealer another shot at tightening it up.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting to hear all the comments. i had a loose feel in the wheel at low speed from the beginning. They changed the box and was good for about 1000 miles. Now it's back to the same as it was. its still loose below 50 Mph. High speed is great. My fear is that it will continue to get worse. I'll look into the gear backlash adjustment and see what that does. I am not seeing and negative responses to the box change. It might be time to give the dealer another shot at tightening it up.
Not an expert here but verify they installed proper box for your 2DR. It has been posted by a couple folks they installed 4DR version on some 2DR’s.
Jeep Wrangler JL New steering box 28F8FAD6-D836-416A-BEF2-4830A4DAE4F2

OP
OP
Tennjeeper

Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I‘ll check the part number. I just wonder if it’s the box at all. Both boxes have acted exactly the same way. It might be my expectations are too high. For that kind of money you think it would drive like a Cadillac.
Sponsored