Sponsored

New JLUR, question about light mods

SGrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Hi All!

Long time lurker and first time poster. I will be picking up my Sarge Green 6 speed JLUR this Friday, and I couldn’t be more excited!

For background, I will be using this Jeep as my daily driver and plan to do some light trail driving and off-roading, but nothing crazy planned just yet. I know the JL, particularly the rubicon, is a very capable beast, so I’m sure in its stock form it will be able to handle whatever I throw at it.

I was interested in upgrading to 35 inch tires and possibly some new wheels (really like the AEV borah). What do people recommend as the best 35 inch tire for the purposes I listed? I am unsure about a lift at this point, but if I were to go for a lift (probably 1.5 to 2 inches), what do most people recommend? Again, this will be a DD and I plan on keeping this Jeep for some time. I would rather spend more money upfront for quality mods and have them last.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2019 Ford Expedition, 2020 Tesla X
Congrats on the JL purchase....I got mine (first Jeep) last November. Its been somewhat of a life changing experience (in a good way) and mods are a huge part of it.

Is your JLUR coming with the AT (KO2) or MT (WIldpeak) tires? For your intended purpose I would definitely recommend a AT tire and so if your comes with KO2s I would see how you like them and if you do get the same in 35. They are incredible tires and I think they will fit your purpose well.

Lift kit options are plentiful and your head will spin doing the research. My advice is watch videos and ask for opinions and not "whats best" b/c there is nothing more subjective than that. Instead read between the lines sort of speak and see how they kit is performing in a similar application. I decided to go with Dynatrac kit plus a few geometry correction pieces and the Jeep drives like a dream (to me). The best compliment was from my wife who just said ''I don't know what you did to the Jeep, but it drives smoother and doesn't sway like it used to". She was referring to her experience as both driver and passenger on both on road and mid to high speed dirt road / washboard type stuff.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Based on your intended use, I think the BFG Ko2 is a great option. I’ve been running a 35” Ko2 + AEV Borah setup on my rig for three years. Since you have a Rubicon, you’ll be able to run 35’s without a lift, use that time to decide what lift if any you may need.

OP
OP

SGrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Congrats on the JL purchase....I got mine (first Jeep) last November. Its been somewhat of a life changing experience (in a good way) and mods are a huge part of it.

Is your JLUR coming with the AT (KO2) or MT (WIldpeak) tires? For your intended purpose I would definitely recommend a AT tire and so if your comes with KO2s I would see how you like them and if you do get the same in 35. They are incredible tires and I think they will fit your purpose well.

Lift kit options are plentiful and your head will spin doing the research. My advice is watch videos and ask for opinions and not "whats best" b/c there is nothing more subjective than that. Instead read between the lines sort of speak and see how they kit is performing in a similar application. I decided to go with Dynatrac kit plus a few geometry correction pieces and the Jeep drives like a dream (to me). The best compliment was from my wife who just said ''I don't know what you did to the Jeep, but it drives smoother and doesn't sway like it used to". She was referring to her experience as both driver and passenger on both on road and mid to high speed dirt road / washboard type stuff.
Thanks! Can't wait to pick it up!

I went with the AT tires; I agree that they will likely suit my intended purpose more than the MT tires.

Thanks for the feedback regarding lifts. I will start to do my research and go from there. Ultimately, I think I am looking for something like you describe - especially if your wife can notice that the jeep has a more smooth ride on paved and offroad terrain.

OP
OP

SGrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Based on your intended use, I think the BFG Ko2 is a great option. I’ve been running a 35” Ko2 + AEV Borah setup on my rig for three years. Since you have a Rubicon, you’ll be able to run 35’s without a lift, use that time to decide what lift if any you may need.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll see how I like the stock 33" Ko2 and go from there. From what I am reading, it sounds like those tires will work well for me. Looks like I need to do some homework on lifts before making any decisions in that department....
Sponsored