Loy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Altitude
Occupation
Medical
Hello Everyone!

I found out that my windshield is leaking this morning. While driving in medium rain I happened to see splashing of water on my dash. I assumed it was from the roof, but after I had a couple of seconds to look more closely I saw that it was coming up from the center of the windshield! It’s under warranty, of course, but the dealerships that I have called are really backed up. As in a 2-3 week time frame. Should I just go buy some silicone and try to take care of this? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Everyone!

I found out that my windshield is leaking this morning. While driving in medium rain I happened to see splashing of water on my dash. I assumed it was from the roof, but after I had a couple of seconds to look more closely I saw that it was coming up from the center of the windshield! It’s under warranty, of course, but the dealerships that I have called are really backed up. As in a 2-3 week time frame. Should I just go buy some silicone and try to take care of this? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.
If its definitely coming through the windshield to body joint, I'd try loosening the hardware that enables folding of the windshield. Don't fully remove them, just loosen a bit, and apply a little pressure to further compress the weather stripping while retightening the hardware. This has helped some other members who had whistling wind leaks at highway speeds.

If you wanted to take that approach a bit further, fully remove the hardware to swing the windshield frame foward enough to apply a thin film of silicone based lubricant to the weather stripping.

No guaranty, but wouldn't hurt to try. Costs nothing but several minutes of time and possibly a product that would help extend the life of all of the weather stripping on the vehicle during your ownership.

Best of luck and welcome to the community!

OP
OP
deputyonce

deputyonce

First Name
Loy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Perfect! I’ll try working on this over the weekend.

OP
OP
deputyonce

deputyonce

First Name
Loy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Follow up...I discovered it was a defective sealant application from a factory worker(after a weekend bender). After making a recording of the water coming in during a light rain, I saw that it was actually between the glass and frame instead of the body seal and frame like I assumed. (It happened to work out just angling my phone mount downward to capture the problem while I drove) I used surgical clamps with alcohol pads to clean the area and was able to feel the irregularities in that short section of adhesive! I covered the dash side with painters tape and applied Permatex Flowable Silicone twice over the area and boom! No more leaking. Saved myself being without my Jeep for a few days and having to mess with any of the local dealerships.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Follow up...I discovered it was a defective sealant application from a factory worker(after a weekend bender). After making a recording of the water coming in during a light rain, I saw that it was actually between the glass and frame instead of the body seal and frame like I assumed. (It happened to work out just angling my phone mount downward to capture the problem while I drove) I used surgical clamps with alcohol pads to clean the area and was able to feel the irregularities in that short section of adhesive! I covered the dash side with painters tape and applied Permatex Flowable Silicone twice over the area and boom! No more leaking. Saved myself being without my Jeep for a few days and having to mess with any of the local dealerships.
Interesting. I had this as well as this poster.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/water-bubbling-up-from-bottom-of-windshield.42634/

Never heard how theirs turned out.
Sponsored