First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I’ve been talking back and forth with revolution. And from my research, and the Reps statements. The whining noise could most likely be the pinion bearing and not the gears themselves. I’m going to do a ride along with the shop next week to pinpoint the noise exactly to them and go from there.
Sponsored

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m currently living the nightmare of noisy gears after I had Yukon 4.88s put in my Jeep. I’m scheduled to have them replaced with spicer 5.13s in September. When I talked to the sales guy at the new shop doing my gears, he did mention that the rear axles on the JL can be a bit finicky to set up, and the new pinion tail bearing (with balls instead of rollers) can be problematic if not installed correctly. I think the problem a lot of people have is that their installer doesn’t have the proficiency with gear set up on JLs, and the same old tricks they’ve used in the past may not work. No solid data to back that claim up, but just a thought.

The other thing I wonder with regard to different brands, everyone with spicer gears seems to have great experiences. No noise issues at all. The people with noise issues seem to be running other brands of gears, such as Yukon, Revolution, Nitro. The thing that’s not mentioned is that Spicer gears use the 2-cut face hobbing method, while the others are 5-cut face milled. 5-cut is the traditional method for cutting gears. They have different gear/tooth profiles, so the 5-cuts may contribute to more noise problems in the JL with the new advantek design changes. Again, don’t know for sure, just theorizing.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Update: just got off the phone with Matt from revolution. He’s working closely with the shop and overseeing the work on my gears to try and get to the bottom of the issue. Top notch customer service. Anyway, they changed out all the bearings and they said the noise was still there but a little quieter. So after that they decided to throw a new R&P in there and said they were very meticulous on the setup and got everything perfect. he’s taking my jeep home tonight to drive it and break in the new gears and see if the issue persists.
- I think dlporter may be onto something. I may have to talk with Matt and see if that could be what’s causing these noises. Sounds logical to me.

DCrocs23

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Wish I would have read this before, I didn't even pick mine up from the shop yet and he's telling me there is some noise with the 4:88 Yukon gears. I can see this is going to cost me double the time and money, unless someone knows a fix for this. 🤦‍♂️

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Wish I would have read this before, I didn't even pick mine up from the shop yet and he's telling me there is some noise with the 4:88 Yukon gears. I can see this is going to cost me double the time and money, unless someone knows a fix for this.
Only fix is to get all the figures right on assembly. A bad ring and pinion is incredibly rare.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I have to go pick it up in a couple of hours, I'll go from there.
Right on. Ask them for all of the bearings they replaced using the master kits they charged you for. Also, ask for the following info:

Pinion TQ to Rotate
Total TQ to Rotate
Pinion out data
Pinion in data
Pinion shim amount
Carrier shim amount (not that important)
Backlash value
Picture of pattern

This is for both axles, of course.

DCrocs23

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Anyone struggling with noisy gears, this is from Tech support at Yukon Gears.
profile_mask_2x.png

Gus from Technical & Sales Support <[email protected]-mail.com>
10:26 AM (2 hours ago)
to me

noise is not normal, and typically does not get better with time. noise is an indication of an incorrect gear contact pattern.
if caught and corrected imediately, it can be corrected, but once it has a few miles on it, it imbeds the incorrect pattern into the gear face and will require gear replacement to correct it.

RDender

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JL
Right on. Ask them for all of the bearings they replaced using the master kits they charged you for. Also, ask for the following info:

Pinion TQ to Rotate
Total TQ to Rotate
Pinion out data
Pinion in data
Pinion shim amount
Carrier shim amount (not that important)
Backlash value
Picture of pattern

This is for both axles, of course.
Question,

Had my JL regeared and upon getting it back it was making a whinning noise but only once hitting 50 mph. If i pulled my foot off the gas it stopped. Worked with the shop, which has been great, they ended up over the course of a week ultimately replacing everything with a new set. Unfortunately the noise is still there but only between 50 - 53 mph. ???? Any suggestions?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Question,

Had my JL regeared and upon getting it back it was making a whinning noise but only once hitting 50 mph. If i pulled my foot off the gas it stopped. Worked with the shop, which has been great, they ended up over the course of a week ultimately replacing everything with a new set. Unfortunately the noise is still there but only between 50 - 53 mph. ???? Any suggestions?
I'd be curious what they mean by "replace everything".

Gears, normally, only make noise when the pinion depth isn't set right. However, the carrier shims will need adjusted for every pinion adjustment since pinion depth proportionally affects backlash. (Trigonometry, stupid math. Lol)

If it's whining at a specific speed and it goes away once you let off the gas, then I would start by removing the smallest shim behind the pinion race, adjust backlash again, and re-test.

The depth is likely wrong.

Sponsored

DCrocs23

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Installed 4:88 Yukon gears in my 2021 JL. Same noise, same mph range, had it checked out by two different shops and a Yukon tech, everything checked out. No go, finally replaced them with Spicer 4:88’s, no noise at all. I have 800 miles on them so far. They did try a pinion bearing replacement that didn’t work either. But All is good now.

RDender

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JL
I'd be curious what they mean by "replace everything".

Gears, normally, only make noise when the pinion depth isn't set right. However, the carrier shims will need adjusted for every pinion adjustment since pinion depth proportionally affects backlash. (Trigonometry, stupid math. Lol)

If it's whining at a specific speed and it goes away once you let off the gas, then I would start by removing the smallest shim behind the pinion race, adjust backlash again, and re-test.

The depth is likely wrong.
Thanks and i will talk to them about doing just that.

DCrocs23

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Question,

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Yea, at this point i am considering talking to the shop about getting rid of the Yukon gears and going a different route which from all i see will be the Spicer gears.. Thanks for the info.
Yukons are great gear sets.

Don’t be discouraged because of Yukon. It’s most likely an installer error.

.010” makes a huge difference.

I can count on one hand how many bad gear sets I’ve ever come across. I have fixed countless install errors. With that said, I’ll only install Spicer and Yukon gear sets.

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I went through this hassle last year with a set of 4.88 Yukons. I ultimately swapped them out to spicer 5.13s at a different shop. The shop that installed the Yukons had the rear axle apart three times to adjust things, replace bearings, etc. This also included replacing the ring and pinion through Yukon’s warranty process. Each time the guy had it apart, he would brag about how he tweaked and tweaked to get “the perfect pattern”. The last time he had it apart, he over torqued the pinion but because he was using the JK setup specs. That was the last straw for me. When I was having the 5.13s installed(at a new shop), I had them check the setup on the 4.88s. The pattern looked good, but the backlash was way too tight. They suspected pinion depth was off as well.

Installation and setup matters. I suspect the original installer was chasing “the perfect pattern”, and sacrificing other important setup variables like backlash and pinion depth in the process.

Bottom line, I doubt there was ever anything actually wrong with the Yukon gears and bearings. I believe it was all setup issues. My Spicer 5.13s have been running nice and quiet for over 10k miles now.
Sponsored