SpcHero

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hey all!

I wanted to reach out to the community and get some perspective or advice on a couple things I am experiencing with my ‘20 JLU. First thing, a few weeks ago I began experiencing a loud click followed with a jerking/pop feeling when I press the breaks to come to a stop or a slow roll in traffic. This was never an issue before and I am not sure if this has something to do with the break assist or something else.
Second thing is, I recently had my tires rotated and the mechanics told me my studs and lug nuts are shredded and one lug nut specifically doesn’t stop turning and therefore forced the nut to stay in place until the next time I take it in for a rotation. Yes, someone cross threaded the studs or lugs and I cannot pin point who and am stuck dealing with it now :( Was quoted nearly $4000 to replace all the hubs, lugs and studs!!! Does anyone have a good, reasonably priced shop in or around the LA/OC area? AND what studs and lugs do you recommend? I’m currently sitting on KMC KM545 Trek wheels.
I fully understand that I should be doing everything myself and am considering doing the work myself. I’m a noob though and require assistance hahha

Thanks fam!!!
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hey all!

I wanted to reach out to the community and get some perspective or advice on a couple things I am experiencing with my ‘20 JLU. First thing, a few weeks ago I began experiencing a loud click followed with a jerking/pop feeling when I press the breaks to come to a stop or a slow roll in traffic. This was never an issue before and I am not sure if this has something to do with the break assist or something else.
Second thing is, I recently had my tires rotated and the mechanics told me my studs and lug nuts are shredded and one lug nut specifically doesn’t stop turning and therefore forced the nut to stay in place until the next time I take it in for a rotation. Yes, someone cross threaded the studs or lugs and I cannot pin point who and am stuck dealing with it now :( Was quoted nearly $4000 to replace all the hubs, lugs and studs!!! Does anyone have a good, reasonably priced shop in or around the LA/OC area? AND what studs and lugs do you recommend? I’m currently sitting on KMC KM545 Trek wheels.
I fully understand that I should be doing everything myself and am considering doing the work myself. I’m a noob though and require assistance hahha

Thanks fam!!!
What a nightmare!

I’ve never had to change wheel studs but I can’t imagine it’s $4k. I believe they’re just press fit, and should be fairly easy to replace. I’d get a second opinion.

A quick YouTube search turned up this video, it seems easy enough to diy. You might look into it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You take off the brake rotor and beat them out with a hammer. It’s not that bad. The factory lug nuts are horrible though, the aluminum capped steel nuts like to separate and should be replaced with aftermarket steel nuts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What a nightmare!

I’ve never had to change wheel studs but I can’t imagine it’s $4k. I believe they’re just press fit, and should be fairly easy to replace. I’d get a second opinion.

A quick YouTube search turned up this video, it seems easy enough to diy. You might look into it.

I guess if you include the full axle/differential assemblies then it may be $4k lol.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You're pop issue is probably either a loose bolt/nut or a worn out bushing or ball joint on the suspension.

As others have said, changing the required studs should be easy and relatively cheap.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Hey all!

Thanks fam!!!
wheel studs are a breeze to change any mom and pop shop or offroad shop can do that for much cheaper. where ever you got quoted is ripping you off. No other words to say.. and if your getting your tires rotated at discount tire or Americas tire They tend to use the impact to put the lugs on without hand spinning the nuts on first. But they tend to send you to a local place they use to fix them. ive had this happen atleast five times now. Every Time i go in i make sure i tell them they must hand spin the lugs on my jeep and i watch them do it. everyone wants to save 3 seconds these days

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Yep do it yourself or go to any other shop. Factory studs are fine unless you want aftermarket, it the nuts themselves that suck. Maybe look at aftermarket. I have good luck with Gorilla.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I had 2 wheel studs replaced on my 2020 (passenger rear). Pro tips, rotate the wheel to where there is the most open space on the back side allowing room for the stud to exit when pounding out. Secondly, I believe it is beneficial to cut the stud to a shorter length prior to removing it, which helps with the back side clearance.

Check the ball joints, might need to tighten the nuts on them to alleviate the clicking.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clicking-noise-when-turning.9713/

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Must be the person rotating your tires used this on the highest setting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Needing Advice on about 2 different things 1632392890577
It's not only over tightening, but far too many "techs" don't believe in starting a piece of hardware by hand. Especially lug nuts. They load the lug nut into the socket and aim the gun in the general direction of the stud. AAA did just that to my wife's Honda civic about 5 years ago. We had to eat a new hub and aluminum wheel for what that nitwit did. Tire shops are notorious for having guys that think they're too slick for hand starting lugs. When I can't take mounted and balanced wheel/tires out of a shop loose, I tell them that I'll do the final tightening and torque myself. I dislike having to do that, because after so many years in the repair industry, I'm all too familiar with having annoying pigeons around. But I also know how saturated that industry is with hacks.
Sponsored