First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD; '19 E450 Wagon; '21 R1250RS
Build Thread
Link
Some of the most vocal rubes regarding the build quality of my Ural sidecar are individuals who've never owned one. That they'll walk up and attempt to lecture the owner who is standing right in front of them still causes me to SMH.

I'll be the first to admit that the marque's history was spotty in the early years. That said, I wouldn't have written an $18K check if I wasn't convinced that the brand is now as strong as it's ever been, with continuing refinement occurring with each model year. And yet there are those people, like the quoted Jeep "expert", who see no problem denigrating a stranger's choice that is no one's business but their own.

<insert punching a busybody in the face emoji here> 🤭

Check in.jpg

As I have a Wrangler on order with no ownership experience (yet) but have much experience with the Ural hack (see avatar :) ), do you get a JDF with the Wrangler similar to the UDF* you get when riding around in the rig?

* for those who are not aware, the Ural Delay Factor (UDF) is a real thing. If you're planning on a trip, budget in extra time for people to stop you to talk about it. UDF is actually addressed in the owner's manual.

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Worst things to say about a Jeep?

"Why didn't you get a Bronco?"

:headbang: :LOL:

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I believe you have one problem. You are using the Cambridge dictionary (not from America), and Jeep is an American Badass vehicle. Correct, appropriate, American definitions are provided below. Note that the term "car" is not used once.

Websters:
1641249626188.png

American Heritage Dictionary:
1641249717904.png

:LOL:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

It's okay people on guitar forms get hung up on trivial things as well, like what color pick guard should I put on this guitar.

😎

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Gregory is a Scotsman and is visiting his friend, Jimmy, in the U.S. Gregory notices that Jimmy just got a new Jeep Wrangler.

Jimmy: Here's my new Jeep! Can't wait to get it home and show the wife! She's gonna love it! What do you think?
Gregory: Aye Jimmy, dat' wee wrangler o' yours sure looks a beauty! But don't think she coulda be a wee bit bitter?
Jimmy: How do you mean?
Gregory: For instance, if ya put some bigger tires on it laddie, she'll be much bitter!

So Jimmy went and got some 35" tires and put them on... Feeling good about his new bigger tires, he showed it to Gregory...
Jimmy: What do you think, now? I only spent $1000 on these babies!
Gregory: Aye laddie. She looks a fair bit more stout for da price! But if ya lifted her up a wee bit, I bet she's be even more bitter!

So Jimmy went and put a four inch lift on the vehicle.... Feeling good about his new taller stance, he showed it to Gregory...
Jimmy: OK, Gregory, what do you say to that?! It only cost me another $2000!
Gregory: Well now, Jimmy, I have to tell ya. Yer wrangler looks good for the price, but she could be bitter!
Jimmy: Ok, I give up! I'm just going to bring it home and show it to my wife. If she doesn't like it, I guess it is what it is...

Gregory and Jimmy then went over to Jimmy's house for dinner. When they got there, Jimmy's short wife came out of the house angry. "How could you spend $3000 on that Jeep and now I can't even climb up into it!?" She stomped away.

Gregory: Oh laddie, i told ya she'd be bitter!

;)

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
When your new date says 'Cute Jeep, is it stock'?...After spending about $20K in parts, more hours wrenching than I care to admit, sporting aftermarket bumpers, winch, 2.5" lift and 37's...Well, she is a blond!
I did however take it somewhat as a compliment-shows little Rubi is at least proportional!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As I have a Wrangler on order with no ownership experience (yet) but have much experience with the Ural hack, do you get a JDF with the Wrangler similar to the UDF you get when riding around in the rig?
No JDF to date. Wranglers of varying vintages are fairly common here; doubly so since Rausch Creek is in easy driving distance. Urals, though, are as rare as an honest politician. I do get a lot of waves from Harley riders. Perhaps they're pleased to finally observe a motorcycle a bit slower than their own. :LOL:

The closest I've come to JDF is the occasional thumbs-up when I'm towing the Gear Up to or from a camp-and-ride weekend. That's all to do with what's on the trailer and not what's pulling it, though.

-------------------

As for UDF, I've toyed with the idea of buying a box of Hillman washers and handing them out as a genuine Russian souvenir when folks walk up to chat about the rig. I want to observe how much time will pass before someone correctly identifies the "UDF" on the washer as just a vendor (manufacturer) stamp.

Yeah, I'm a stinker.

Jeep Wrangler JL Worst things to say about a Jeep? Washer 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Worst things to say about a Jeep? Washer 2

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No JDF to date. Wranglers of varying vintages are fairly common here; doubly so since Rausch Creek is in easy driving distance. Urals, though, are as rare as an honest politician. I do get a lot of waves from Harley riders. Perhaps they're pleased to finally observe a motorcycle a bit slower than their own. :LOL:

The closest I've come to JDF is the occasional thumbs-up when I'm towing the Gear Up to or from a camp-and-ride weekend. That's all to do with what's on the trailer and not what's pulling it, though.

-------------------

As for UDF, I've toyed with the idea of buying a box of Hillman washers and handing them out as a genuine Russian souvenir when folks walk up to chat about the rig. I want to observe how much time will pass before someone correctly identifies the "UDF" on the washer as just a vendor (manufacturer) stamp.

Yeah, I'm a stinker.

Winning all around!

I can you're the kind of person I'd like to go grab a pint with... my treat!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
“PowerWheels for adults”

“Future Ford Bronco Training Vehicle”

😂

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I am a hoot at parties, sadly...it's because I'm not hanging around talking to people I'm usually playing guitar.

Station wagon...an estate car. :)
QRH4.gif