Sponsored

Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
That is not advisable. First during overnight stops, your rv could drain the jeep. Secondly, your battery will always be charging and this could cause issues. Your rv alternator would always be inline, and getting extra workload unnecessary.

Modern equipment needs modern charging solutions.

You own a jeep. You own an rv. Why start pinching pennies now?
Not pinching pennies, going for simplicity. And I've read too many comments about things like the RVI charger not working properly, and running the toad's battery dead. The last thing I need is my auxiliary braking system to quit because the Jeep's battery goes dead. KISS
A diode battery isolator will prevent the first, and I'm not worried about one more battery on the RV's alternator: it's already charging 5 batteries without any complaint.
Thank you for the concern, though.

Cutting into the Jeep harness does sound scary but it's pretty straight forward and if you test each line before cutting and after splicing in the corresponding Cooltec harness lines as you go along its hard to go wrong.
The actual process doesn't bother me at all. I've read the CoolTech instructions, and it's pretty straightforward.
What does bother me is how it might affect resale/trade value, or piss off some warranty claims manager. That's an avoidable headache I don't need.
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Not pinching pennies, going for simplicity. And I've read too many comments about things like the RVI charger not working properly, and running the toad's battery dead. The last thing I need is my auxiliary braking system to quit because the Jeep's battery goes dead. KISS
Never heard of a single incident posted here of the RVI charger causing damage to the jeep.
A diode battery isolator will prevent the first, and I'm not worried about one more battery on the RV's alternator: it's already charging 5 batteries without any complaint.
Thank you for the concern, though.
Your earlier simple wire is getting smarter and better after I posted. Keep designing. Soon you will have a system that will save your gassers alternator and your jeeps battery.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
We towed our new Gladiator Rubicon all summer. Maximus-3 tow loops, Blue Ox Avail 10,000# tow bar, Cooltech light kit, and an RVi3 brake we used in the previous JK. Everything worked flawlessly. Powered the brake in both Jeeps with an RVi battery direct fused 12v outlet. No charger. I've never had a low or dead battery problem.
I like the Cooltech system because the switch completely separates the lights power input. Either the Jeep powers them, or the motorhome. Never both, as sometimes with aux braking systems while braking. No diodes. Install was easy peasy. Just 4 wires.
The Maximus-3 tow loops allows you to have a low profile winch mounted, that many base plate systems don't allow. The loops are also under the bumper which helps keep the towbar level with a mildly lifted Jeep. I would have needed a larger riser with a bumper mounted system.
Good luck and happy safe camping with what ever system you decide to go with.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice re setting up new 2021 Rubicon for being towed bo avail

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Never heard of a single incident posted here of the RVI charger causing damage to the jeep.
I’ve seen many posts in RV forums where the chargers simply don’t work, leaving the toad’s battery dead.
I haven’t seen anything about actual damage, either.

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon,
To maintain the battery while towing, an RVI toad charger. Super easy install, won't overcharge or affect coach battery. I've used it on multiple vehicles now.

Cutting into the Jeep harness does sound scary but it's pretty straight forward and if you test each line before cutting and after splicing in the corresponding Cooltec harness lines as you go along its hard to go wrong.
Jmonroe, I’m starting to rig my JL for towing and have a question for you on the RVi charger. I had the RVi charger previously on a F150 and when I wired it I ran the positive wire directly to the positive on the F150’s battery and tied the ground wire to a frame ground lug which had other large gauge wires connected to. It worked well with no issue.
On the Jeep I will be obviously running the positive wire directly to the positive post on the main battery. My question is on the ground wire. With reading the different issues people are having with the Jeep’s having the two batteries I wondering if It’s better to connect the ground directly to the battery or connect to the location on the right fender where the ground lugs are? Where did you tie your ground to?

thanks
Bruce

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Just saw this and the Jeep is gone with the wife, but I think I wired it the same as I did on our last toad, directly to the battery terminals. I'll check when I can and confirm

OP
OP

steveandjiljeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Thanks to all of you for this great information. Previous Jeep (2015 2 Dr Wrangler) was towed behind a winnebago view with no additional charging. Worked flawlessly for 6 years and 25k miles. That Break controller was the Demco Stay in play, the electro/mechanical one produced by the same company as AF1. I did have a battery die once while one the road, but it was just an old battery. I think I'm starting with the standard setup - diode to isolate the power. Brake light powered by coach, braking system by battery in jeep. The drain on the jeep battery is tiny. We'll probably buy one of those battery jump start things in case it is needed.

Steve
Sponsored