Sponsored

Need Longer Bump Stops

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, Black, Mopar Lift, 35s
I have JLU sport with Mopar Lift and 35s. When the sway bar link is disconnected, I get a lot rubbing on the front inner fender when the wheel gets stuffed. Has anyone used longer bump stops? Any recommendations?
I am attaching pictures on a ramp to illustrate the problem Thanks

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg
Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hmmm...after looking more closely at your pic....bumps aren't going to fix that. You need more lift. You're stuffing a couple of inches up in the fender. You need to either trim the fender (which is what I'd recommend) or lift it higher. When steering, even with a pretty big bump stop, you're going to hit. You'd probably need at least a 2" to stop that while steering.
This whole thing with lifts and bump stops still confuses me. Without longer bump stops or bump stop extensions how would more lift solve his problem? Wouldn’t the wheel still tuck in as far?

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Only if it's compressing the spring completely or the rate of the coil is softer. More lift would *typically* result in more "uptravel" (or compression travel) in the suspension. As the suspension compresses, it is taking on weight on that corner in that the coil springs are rated in lbs/inch....so it will take more weight to compress the spring further. Ultimately though...yes, the bump stop is what limits the absolute amount of travel.
Ok that makes sense. I am in the same boat as the op with 35’s on my stock suspension Rubicon. However out on trails I have yet to have any rubbing.

0BB7C86A-BE5D-4899-B746-F2C7DF9E8D61.jpeg

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Personally, rubbing ain't a big deal provided it's not ripping off parts or binding so much that you risk blowing a front axle shaft.

In your pic, your tires barely turned....if you had to climb something big....you wouldn't want the wheel cranked over any more than you had to anyway (unless you were on a front D60 or better) as that's how you break front D44s. So...you're probably okay....but yeah, if you're climbing and you have no choice but to ease up a big boulder with the wheels cranked, you would probably rub enough to potentially pull that fender off.

If that's a concern, you'd probably want more lift, trim that fender or bump it (or a combination of all 3). Just depends on what you can live with in terms of aesthetics, CoG change and loss of travel.
Thanks for the replies and I hope they are relevant to the op since I wasn’t trying to hujack his thread.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I'd personally start by gutting the fender AAL (to me that should still be add-a-leaf) style.

Then go from there.

IIRC he claims he gained 3" inside the fenders. Watch the video.

I'm not sold on cutesy AutoZone-accessory-aisle sequential signals (oooh shiney!!!) so the plan is eventually for me to try this and build a bracket to just keep the stock marker lights (it may not work, I dunno), BUT there's no disputing the AAL low profile lights gain you some clearance at the front.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I guess another option is don't disconnect your sway bar.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I would first check and make sure the bump stops that came with the kit were correctly installed. Second, how much is "a lot" of rubbing and if you weren't rubbing, could you have gone further up the ramp before your rear tire lifted off the ground? If you can get a picture of the suspension while on the ramp that would help. Can't tell much from the pictures included.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It just occurred to me OP has a Sport...seems to me Rubi flares would help quite a bit? They sit higher up front and are they wider? I can't recall if they're wider - I should know

Lots of guys replacing w aftermarket fenders so Rubi take-offs shouldn't be hard to come by.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I'd personally start by gutting the fender AAL (to me that should still be add-a-leaf) style.

Then go from there.

IIRC he claims he gained 3" inside the fenders. Watch the video.

I'm not sold on cutesy AutoZone-accessory-aisle sequential signals (oooh shiney!!!) so the plan is eventually for me to try this and build a bracket to just keep the stock marker lights (it may not work, I dunno), BUT there's no disputing the AAL low profile lights gain you some clearance at the front.

Artec has brackets with with or without small bolt lights if these aren't your thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would first check and make sure the bump stops that came with the kit were correctly installed. Second, how much is "a lot" of rubbing and if you weren't rubbing, could you have gone further up the ramp before your rear tire lifted off the ground? If you can get a picture of the suspension while on the ramp that would help. Can't tell much from the pictures included.
The bump stops look ok, I checked. The rubbing gets really loud at times when off road and therefore I stated " a lot of rubbing" Thanks

OP
OP

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm...after looking more closely at your pic....bumps aren't going to fix that. You need more lift. You're stuffing a couple of inches up in the fender. You need to either trim the fender (which is what I'd recommend) or lift it higher. When steering, even with a pretty big bump stop, you're going to hit. You'd probably need at least a 2" to stop that while steering.
Yes it looks like I will need to do some trimming. Thanks for the suggestion

OP
OP

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just occurred to me OP has a Sport...seems to me Rubi flares would help quite a bit? They sit higher up front and are they wider? I can't recall if they're wider - I should know

Lots of guys replacing w aftermarket fenders so Rubi take-offs shouldn't be hard to come by.
Great suggestion! Thanks

OP
OP

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess another option is don't disconnect your sway bar.
Sway bar makes a huge difference off road. I am attaching a picture on the same ramp with the sway bar link connected. I was not able to get as far as with the sway bar disconnected. The rear wheel lifted as well. I do not have lockers and it makes a big difference in traction. Thanks

IMG_0365.jpg
Sponsored