Sponsored

Need help installing lights

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I have a 2021 Rubicon. It is equipped with the four factory auxiliary switches. I installed Deegan 38 side steps with built in rock lights.

Ideally, I’d like the lights to come on if I use the remote start, but I can’t see any way to rig that up. My reasonable alternative is to hook them to my courtesy lights. I realize I could just hook them to the switches, but I’d like them to come on as soon as the doors open and the interior lights come on

I don’t think I can program the computer to react the way I want, or I’d hook into the factory wire. Would be much easier

Anybody know if I can just piggyback onto the courtesy light wiring or do I have to use a solenoid?

Any other thoughts or ideas appreciated
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’d like the lights to come on if I use the remote start, but I can’t see any way to rig that up.
On a remote start, the parking lights turn on. Tap into the parking light wiring.

Anybody know if I can just piggyback onto the courtesy light wiring or do I have to use a solenoid?
You should be able to tap into the courtesy light wiring under the dash. There are aftermarket fender lights that tap into these without issue.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase

Any other thoughts or ideas appreciated
I used a T-Tap connector to the courtesy light wiring for 6 low power LED rock lights (as puddle lights), I didn't use a relay. By not using a relay, my lights fade with the interior lights as they go off. If you add a relay, that won't be the case.

You can also wire into the switches, with a diode or two, to stop back feed.

There is a huge thread on Back Up lights and tying them into the Reverse Lights and Aux Switches here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-lights.10763/

Many people used a diode like this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/Roadmaster/rm-790.html

Courtesy Lights --> Diode Input 1 --> Output (+ ve of lights)
Aux Switch ------> Diode Input 2 --> Output (+ ve of lights)

OP
OP
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are the answers I was looking for. Hadn’t thought about the parking lights. I’ll do whichever is easier

Thanks tons

OP
OP
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my lights hooked up yesterday. We tapped into the courtesy lights behind the passenger kick panel.

The wiring to the light at the passenger floorboard is extremely light gauge, and I suspect it would not safely carry enough current to power the four rock lights

Works great. Rock lights go on with the interior lights.

I would highly recommend the Deegan 38 rock slider running boards. Extremely well made

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I got my lights hooked up yesterday. We tapped into the courtesy lights behind the passenger kick panel.

The wiring to the light at the passenger floorboard is extremely light gauge, and I suspect it would not safely carry enough current to power the four rock lights

Works great. Rock lights go on with the interior lights.

I would highly recommend the Deegan 38 rock slider running boards. Extremely well made
Got any pics of the lights in action on the Deegan side steps? Also are the courtesy lights light tap powering all four are is it just used to trigger on/off? Thanks.
Sponsored