new owner question, installing spot lights

lochado

First Name
donie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
forgive dumb question... new jeep owner - 2018 Sahara Jl. Installing spot lights on windshield mounting. Do I have to disconnect battery first? and if so, both of them?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
forgive dumb question... new jeep owner - 2018 Sahara Jl. Installing spot lights on windshield mounting. Do I have to disconnect battery first? and if so, both of them?
Do you have the aux switches? If not how to you plan on wiring them? How many amps/watts do the lights draw?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@lochado

Well, you can never wrong lets say, disconnecting 12v power to a vehicle, when fooling with it's electrical ..

Sure if you are careful, you can often, do your deed and not have to disconnect 12v power.... but..

Takes but a minute to disconnect 12v power on a JL in regard to both it's main and Aux battery... so why not, just to Ace your bet so to speak. Remember, an ounce is worth a pound of cure, so...

Anyway, read here, for 12v kill info in regard specifically to the JL:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/to-kill-12v-power-to-the-jl-jlu.6244/

OP
OP

lochado

First Name
donie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the aux switches? If not how to you plan on wiring them? How many amps/watts do the lights draw?
no... comes with wiring harness etc...

• (6) 3W High-Intensity Cree LEDs per Cube
  • Output: 2880 Lumens

OP
OP

lochado

First Name
donie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@lochado

Well, you can never wrong lets say, disconnecting 12v power to a vehicle, when fooling with it's electrical ..

Sure if you are careful, you can often, do your deed and not have to disconnect 12v power.... but..

Takes but a minute to disconnect 12v power on a JL in regard to both it's main and Aux battery... so why not, just to Ace your bet so to speak. Remember, an ounce is worth a pound of cure, so...

Anyway, read here, for 12v kill info in regard specifically to the JL:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/to-kill-12v-power-to-the-jl-jlu.6244/
great - thanks.. will do this..

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
no... comes with wiring harness etc...

• (6) 3W High-Intensity Cree LEDs per Cube
  • Output: 2880 Lumens
Like Rhinebeck says disconnecting the batteries is a safe step. If you don't have the Jeep Aux switches have you decided what you will wire the lights to for power? Will you have more lights or other powered devices? On my JK I have spot lights, driving lights, backup lights, daytime running lights, side lights and rock lights. I ran an 8 ga wire off the battery to a separate fuse box that I installed and ran all power there for the lights using relays. The switches that triggered the relays in some cases were powered by an ignition controlled fuse in the JK fuse box. Existing backup light power triggered the relay for the new backup lights. Interior lights power triggered the rock lights so they provided light when opening the doors or full on using interior light dimming control. Just in case you are thinking on adding more than the spots.

OP
OP

lochado

First Name
donie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like Rhinebeck says disconnecting the batteries is a safe step. If you don't have the Jeep Aux switches have you decided what you will wire the lights to for power? Will you have more lights or other powered devices? On my JK I have spot lights, driving lights, backup lights, daytime running lights, side lights and rock lights. I ran an 8 ga wire off the battery to a separate fuse box that I installed and ran all power there for the lights using relays. The switches that triggered the relays in some cases were powered by an ignition controlled fuse in the JK fuse box. Existing backup light power triggered the relay for the new backup lights. Interior lights power triggered the rock lights so they provided light when opening the doors or full on using interior light dimming control. Just in case you are thinking on adding more than the spots.
emm.. no wi am wondering... nope.. didn't consider all that... light kit I was looking at came with lights switch and fuse etc.. so was simply going to connect to the battery.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
All of my lights I wired to aux switches instead of using the including wiring harness so I could turn off and on from the inside! Light bar and 4 scene lights from KC.
IMG_1133.JPG

InspiredEngineering

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL, 2013 JKU on 60's, 1997 TJ on D60s
Its always safe, and recommended to disconnect the battery whilst doing electronic work.

OP
OP

lochado

First Name
donie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of my lights I wired to aux switches instead of using the including wiring harness so I could turn off and on from the inside! Light bar and 4 scene lights from KC.
IMG_1133.JPG
nice.. yeah I made mistake and dint do option of AUG installed...

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
emm.. no wi am wondering... nope.. didn't consider all that... light kit I was looking at came with lights switch and fuse etc.. so was simply going to connect to the battery.
If directly to battery always make sure the switch is off when not using them and you get out of the Jeep. Easy to notice at night but may not notice during the day. I know on the screen with gloves on I accidently hit the SOS icon instead of the Offroad Pages icon because it is right above the other. Luckily I caught it in time to cancel it.
The amazing thing about the Aux switches in the tow package is you can designate to power each switch from the battery or ignition. You just put the positive wire to the Aux wire and the negative wire to ground and program the switch on the screen. Very easy but finding room to run the wires in the engine compartment is not easy.
Sponsored