Multiple Lights on Aux Switch?

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Dumb question, but can I have multiple lights on one of my aux switches? Currently I have some 2” cube lights wired to aux 3, and some rock lights wired to aux 4.

I’ve installed Oracle’s rear bumper backup lights to my tail lights, but looking to add them on my aux switch 3 only. That way I can turn them on and off manually. I want to run the wires in the cabin and hook into Aux3 under the dash inside the cabin. My thought process is it’s ok since I’m way under the 15amps (22watts for oracles and 36watts for cube lights). Going forward when I hit aux 3I’ll get both cube lights and the Oracle lights at the same time.

Does anyone see any issues with this?

AB5512C6-457B-4148-B597-945C019EFC97.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
No issues as long as you are within the amp limit for that particular Aux switch. I have 4 lights tied into Aux 1 (4 Rigid DSS's in front) and 6 tied into Aux 2 (2 DSS's, 2 D-Series, and 2 rock lights in back).

You can also wire them to both locations. For example you can wire something to the Aux 3 connection under the hood and something else to the Aux 3 connection under the dash. Again, as long as everything total doesn't exceed the amp limit.

Last edited:

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
No issues as long as you are within the amp limit. I have 4 lights tied into Aux 1 (4 Rigid DSS's in front) and 6 tied into Aux 2 (2 DSS's, 2 D-Series, and 2 rock lights in back).

You can also wire them to both locations. For example you can wire something to the Aux 3 connection under the hood and something else to the Aux 3 connection under the dash. Again, as long as everything total doesn't exceed the amp limit.
Any benefits of wiring under dash versus hood? Or just preference? I need to wire a set of flood and spot lights on the bumper and think it will be easier under hood.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Any benefits of wiring under dash versus hood? Or just preference? I need to wire a set of flood and spot lights on the bumper and think it will be easier under hood.
Just preference. For me it was whatever was easiest. Front pillar lights were obviously much easier to run to the under hood connections. Same with my front bumper lights. For the rear I tied everything into one wire and considered running it all the way under the Jeep to the hood connection, but ultimately ran it through the cab to the under dash connection.

The under dash wires were a bitch to get to, at least for me. I wound up reclining the passenger seat all the way back and laying upside down with my feet at the headrest and my head and arms in the footwell. Got some funny looks from people in my parking deck.

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Multiple Lights on Aux Switch? jee

No issues as long as you manage your current draw. I've got the 4 center spots on aux 4 and the 4 outboard lights on aux 3. They're all led, I probably couldn't have done this with the older non-led lights.

Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I echo all of the above regarding just staying below the current draw for #3. Reminder that #1 and #2 are rated for higher current. You can also use relays triggered off the switch if you do need to pull more current.

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Dumb question, but can I have multiple lights on one of my aux switches? Currently I have some 2” cube lights wired to aux 3, and some rock lights wired to aux 4.

I’ve installed Oracle’s rear bumper backup lights to my tail lights, but looking to add them on my aux switch 3 only. That way I can turn them on and off manually. I want to run the wires in the cabin and hook into Aux3 under the dash inside the cabin. My thought process is it’s ok since I’m way under the 15amps (22watts for oracles and 36watts for cube lights). Going forward when I hit aux 3I’ll get both cube lights and the Oracle lights at the same time.

Does anyone see any issues with this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Multiple Lights on Aux Switch? jee
As others have said, you should be fine as long as you are below the max amperage for that aux switch. BTW, nice photo. Where was that taken?

OP
OP
jason0341

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
As others have said, you should be fine as long as you are below the max amperage for that aux switch. BTW, nice photo. Where was that taken?
Thank you that was at an off-road park down in the Springs.

OP
OP
jason0341

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Thank you all for your comments.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
One tip I'll throw in is use some kind of water proof connector plug so you can easily disconnect the lights if necessary. That way if you decide to switch lights you don't have to re-run all the wiring. You can also use Posi-Lock connectors, which I swear by.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Nice rig! Which bull bar is that on your steel bumper? It looks slightly higher (and better) than the smaller warn branded one.

Paulo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2.0 Turbo Sport S
Does anyone know if the 40 amp cartridge fuse on aux switch 1 and 2 is made in 10 or 15 amps?
If not i guess the only way to put a lower amp fuse is to leave the 40 amp alone and put in an inline fuse. I already have things connected to aux 3 and 4.

OP
OP
jason0341

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Nice rig! Which bull bar is that on your steel bumper? It looks slightly higher (and better) than the smaller warn branded one.
Thanks, it’s.a medium Warn bar.
Sponsored