Moog Chassis Parts Tech Support

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
👍 I just wanted to give credit to a company for great customer service. Not my Jeep on this, but it could have been. I bought new Moog lower control arms for my GMC truck, which come with new balljoints and bushings. Somehow, I've either misplaced the castle nut that secures the balljoint in the knuckle, or it was lost in shipping.
Being an American manufacturer, I suspected it could be either SAE or Metric. I measured the thread O.D. and it was just shy of 5/8", so I bought a 5/8" -18 castle nut (Dorman) at a local O'Reilly's. Didn't fit. So, my next choice was 16mm x 1.5. I wasn't able to locate that size in hardware stores last night. I was going to pursue it further today.

Just to confirm it was 16mm x 1.5, I called the Moog Tech Support number. A very helpful guy named Matt began to look up the spec, then said that they "don't sell this part separately", which I knew would be the case, but that "they have some of these in stock and could just send one out" to me. I was very surprised. I accepted his offer, which I believe is an unusual service in the industry, especially from a larger company. He also confirmed the nut thread size is 16mm x 1.5. If you know about these types of parts, you know that this is a high strength nut, flanged, and slotted for a cotter pin. Very specialized. They don't sell direct either to the public, retailers, or repair shops. So, providing one directly to the end user like this is a welcome service.

BTW, Moog only shows one Jeep JL part, a 0.5 degree offset upper balljoint, for caster/camber correction, depending on how you clock it during installation. But they are also part of the Monroe shock family, which shows a few shocks for stock JLs.

Anyway, Moog has been my go-to company for balljoints on various vehicles for decades. Now, they are on my list of great customer service companies. Thanks Matt and Moog.
Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase