Mobile Workbench/Tool Storage

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a mobile toolchest or workbench. My collection has grown too large for my the small workbench that came in my garage and my existing hand-carry box and bag.
Husky has one that I've got my eye on right now. Things I like:
-Metal worktop, I don't have an easy to clean work surface right now
-Deep drawers, I think I can fit deep-well socket stands in the 3.3" drawers
-Internal and external power
-Casters, I'm averaging moves every 22 months right now for work
-Liners, nice to not have to cut my own

Does anyone have other good recommendations in a similar price point?
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a mobile toolchest or workbench. My collection has grown too large for my the small workbench that came in my garage and my existing hand-carry box and bag.
Husky has one that I've got my eye on right now. Things I like:
-Metal worktop, I don't have an easy to clean work surface right now
-Deep drawers, I think I can fit deep-well socket stands in the 3.3" drawers
-Internal and external power
-Casters, I'm averaging moves every 22 months right now for work
-Liners, nice to not have to cut my own

Does anyone have other good recommendations in a similar price point?
This afternoon I picked up the heavy duty Husky 61ā€ with the wood top. I looked at less expensive alternatives from Samsā€¦much cheaper but not as robust. Harbor Freight has a heavy duty line that looks good, but the price point was high. Home Depot does a good good warranting their products. Mine was special orderedā€¦and came without any damage or flaws. It is made in Chinaā€¦.which I didnā€™t know when I purchased. Mine was $898 before taxā€¦.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
This afternoon I picked up the heavy duty Husky 61ā€ with the wood top. I looked at less expensive alternatives from Samsā€¦much cheaper but not as robust. Harbor Freight has a heavy duty line that looks good, but the price point was high. Home Depot does a good good warranting their products. Mine was special orderedā€¦and came without any damage or flaws. It is made in Chinaā€¦.which I didnā€™t know when I purchased. Mine was $898 before taxā€¦.
I looked at HF, but Iā€™m not ready to dump money on their Icon line. HF US General has some comparable sized stuff, but I think most of the drawers were very shallow and they really only looked like drawers, no real power option I saw and the top didnā€™t look meant as a work space.

Andrews jl

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU, 15 Willyā€™s, Tesla x., Tesla 3, BMW x2
Occupation
Itā€™s Miller time!
My previous work station was our old kitchen cabinets after we remodeled so this was def an upgrade šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s HF nothing fancy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mobile Workbench/Tool Storage 1A837423-6BC5-47E8-B3E6-C7707F51663C
Love the dogfish sticker!!

Reactions: KNN

Sponsored

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
I am setting up a new shop at the house we are moving to. I used HF US General rolling boxes and some Craftsman cabinets. Pretty happy with both for the price. Still need to make tops. I plan on keeping them stationary but let the wheels on so I can clean under them. Her is a picture of work in progress. It is a lot further along but these was the only picture II can find. I can't wait to sell this place and move up there! Living on the top od a mountain is the best place for a Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mobile Workbench/Tool Storage 56b.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Mobile Workbench/Tool Storage DSCF3101.JPG

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
My previous work station was our old kitchen cabinets after we remodeled so this was def an upgrade šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s HF nothing fancy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mobile Workbench/Tool Storage DSCF3101.JPG
Do you use the top as workspace? If so, how does it hold up and is it easy to clean up if you get oils/residue on it?

Reactions: KNN

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Do you use the top as workspace? If so, how does it hold up and is it easy to clean up if you get oils/residue on it?
Havenā€™t used the top for anything other than assembling things. Itā€™s just regular liner material, like the inside of the drawers.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Havenā€™t used the top for anything other than assembling things. Itā€™s just regular liner material, like the inside of the drawers.
Ok, the job I have in mind right now is differential work. There will be gear oil, carb cleaner, wd-40, etc. I'm going to be doing mine on either a wood or plastic table and it'll never be the same. I think I'm breaking down the ikea table after this job though to recycle it into winter plant boxes for my wife.
In store they were all set up with the top-chest, so I couldn't get a good feel for how rugged the metal was on top.