Minimum Wheel Size on JLU?

mfflannery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everybody,

I sold my 2016 JK Sport S recently, and put it back to stock before handing it over. My wheels and tires sat in a pile in my backyard, they are ProComp 16" 7069s with 33" K02.

I then got a 2018 JLUS, and was hoping to re-use my old wheels. The Sahara has much bigger brakes, when I tried installing I've only got about 1/8" clearance only at the corners of the calipers (rest has ~1"). The wheels spin freely, I'm just concerned that corner clearance isn't enough.

Is there a rule of thumb of minimum clearance?

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored

OP
OP

mfflannery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everybody,

I sold my 2016 JK Sport S recently, and put it back to stock before handing it over. My wheels and tires sat in a pile in my backyard, they are ProComp 16" 7069s with 33" K02.

I then got a 2018 JLUS, and was hoping to re-use my old wheels. The Sahara has much bigger brakes, when I tried installing I've only got about 1/8" clearance only at the corners of the calipers (rest has ~1"). The wheels spin freely, I'm just concerned that corner clearance isn't enough.

Is there a rule of thumb of minimum clearance?

Thanks
Matt
Update:

This past weekend I installed the wheels to see how it fit. Counter intuitively, the rear calipers had less spacing of about 1/8" at the tips of the calipers vs 1/4" from the tips of the front. Basically, I can only have balancing weights on the outboard side of the rear wheels, inboard is too close to the calipers. Fronts can have weights wherever.

To clarify, there's plenty of clearance from front of caliper to inside of spokes, and plenty of clearance from outer diameter of calipers to inner diameter of the rims. It's just the tips of the calipers that get close.

I did my research from wheel and brake manufacturers, most said between 2-3mm is all that's needed, but they were all road-going applications (e.g. Brembo and Wilwood for sports cars). Didn't account for mud and stones getting caught in there.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on 17" 7069s and tires, but until then running the 16s with my 33s. My off roading is dry dusty NorCal, so not too worried for the time being.

tapatalk_1555001779101.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not sure how much room when the floating caliper is fully extended. Assuming that your brake pads are pretty fresh you should be ok. Fixed calipers like Wilwood (which I have on my Infiniti), Brembo, etc. you don't need to worry about any additional clearance after the install since the caliper itself doesn't move.
Sponsored