Wheel Size to Tire Size

jawsATL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Granite Metallic Sahara
OK, I have a question. Will a 35 X 12.5 X 18 tire fit on a stock Sahara wheel? I believe the stock Sahara wheel is 7.5" Just literally talking about fit. Not talking mounted to my Jeep yet...

Most of the 35s I've seen require a 8.5" wide wheel. I know if I use a stock wheel I need spacers, and I plan on 1.75".

Is the requirement of an 8.5 inch wide wheel when talking about a tire because of just straight up fitment, or is it to avoid potential rubbing, or both?

So if I had a 7.5" wheel + 1.75" spacer that would be 9.25" total and the rubbing would not be an issue, but would a 35/12.5/18 literally just fit on a 7.5" wheel?

I hope that what I am asking makes sense and I am not too stupid....
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Technically, all tires have a range of wheel widths that they will fit according to the manufacturer. This has nothing to do with how it fits on the vehicle, or if it rubs, or if you need spacers.

However, many people on this forum will run a tire with a minimum 8.5" wheel requirement on a 7.5" wheel. It works fine but if you were in an accident that involved tires in any way, you would probably be found liable.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The 8.5” wheel width requirement is a function of properly mounting the tire on the wheel, it has nothing to do with the fitment on your Jeep.

That said, yes it will fit although 7.5” wheel is at the limit of the narrowest wheel it can be fit on. Many shops will not do it due to their policy for safety reasons. A 315/70/17 tire is 12.4” wide and many folks (including myself) have them mounted on 7.5” wide stock Rubicon wheels without issue.

Regarding fitment on the vehicle, the wheel offset will determine if you need spacers or not. Even without knowing the offset of Sahara wheels I’m inclined to say that you’ll clear with 1.75” spacers.

Shack

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As has been mentioned, there are quite a few that have done it...likely never having any issues. That said, the physics of it is a bit complicated. The first consideration is the tire will bow in causing a bit of a crown at full inflation which will mean the entire width of the tire won't make contact with the road, just the center section. One way to resolve this issue is to run a lower pressure. The second issue is the side stress on the bead means it's more likely to slide over the inner hump of the bead seat, which would be catastrophic at highway speed. A good set of wheels really isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The slightly smaller sidewall with an 18" vs the 17" that is more common around here may make a slight difference in the mount as the sidewall has a bit less flex for that 7.5" width.

A 35" tire still has plenty of sidewall though so I doubt there would be any issues, but the good replies above I would take to heart. I think I'd feel better running 8.5 to 9" wide wheels (with the proper offset) and @AnnDee4444 makes a good point about potential liability issues.

OP
OP
jawsATL

jawsATL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Granite Metallic Sahara
Yes, in looking at more threads and digging a little deeper, I think 285 75 18 is the answer on a stock wheel. Thanks guys...
Sponsored